Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mark Vester

According to a recent report in Primera Hora, promoter Don King flew down to San Juan, Puerto Rico for a meeting with Felix "Tito"Trinidad and his father/trainer Papa Trinidad aka Felix Sr. As one can imagine, the main topic was Trinidad's next fight.

King said that Trinidad is still eager to continue fighting and he would like to have him fight in New York during the Puerto Rican Day parade weekend in June. The could become a problem as middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has penciled in a title defense against John Duddy for the same weekend, and at New York's Madison Square Garden, which likely where King will try to stage the fight. Of course Atlantic City would be another good option if King is set on staging the fight on the East Coast.

Trinidad returned to the ring after a near three-year layoff against Roy Jones Jr. on January 19. While he lost by unanimous decision, he performed well at a catch-weight of 170-pounds against a much bigger, stronger and quicker opponent. Despite the loss, Trinidad was far from shot and put forth a spirited effort.

"Tito did very well against Roy Jones in spite of not fighting for two and a half years. He is a warrior. I'm hopeful that Tito is going to fight and soon. His rest will not be as long (as before). It would be ideal to do something on the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York," King said.

Trinidad would not confirm the details of the private meeting with King. He would only say "I didn't announce my retirement. It was a tough training camp and I want to get some rest, but I will always consider doing something."

King would love to set up a rematch with Hopkins to provide Tito with a chance to avenge his 2001 knockout loss. King said the rematch is not hanging on whether or not Hopkins pulls out a win over Calzaghe on April 19. He said Trinidad needs the chance to get revenge for his country, bringing up Hopkins' pre-fight antics of throwing the Puerto Rican flag to the floor. After he beat Trinidad, Hopkins flew to Puerto Rico to apologize for that pre-fight stunt.

"That would be a great opportunity for Tito to get revenge. In that fight, that wasn't the Tito we all know. Besides, Hopkins insulted Puerto Ricans and deserves for Tito kick his ass," King said. "It doesn't matter if he loses or wins against Calzaghe."

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
So is his line of thinking, "I want to lose to Roy and Bernard to complete my comeback!"? He should fight a garbage fighter and at least get a win.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Tito please stay retired....

Nothing left for you to do other than get beat on. Why would Hopkins fight u again? he would crush u like he did the first time. Winky would humiliate u like he did the first time. Just get fat and enjoy life, u deserve it.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Haha. I agree Brutus. He looked ok in the first 6 against Roy, but he didn't look like he would ever be a threat again.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Tito just couldn't carry around all that weight. He'd still be a threat at 160 or 154

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I want to see cotto vs tito at 160 lol ok im dreaming, wont happen. oscar vs tito II at 160 is more realistic and I'd pay 50 to see it sadly. I want to see oscar get his revenge.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The fight against Oscar is one of the few things worth left.. However I think they're waiting a little longer...

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I think Tito still has it in him. 170 was just too much for him to carry for that long at that pace. It also doesn't help when you are fighting RJJ. He could have beaten quite a few super middles but he had no shot against Roy at that weight and I doubt Roy could have gotten down another1 0 pounds or so and been healthy

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Tito's fighting again he should be at 160 MAX, even then he should satay away from the danger guys like Pavlik and AA, he could make fights at 160 against Oscar, SSM or Cotto, the money in these fights would ensure the guys move up to face him.

Tito looked far from shot against Roy whomever was implying this, he looked the best ive seen him for a long time, the weight was just to much for him, Tito was never the biggest of middleweights the Roy fight was just above super middleweight.

Tito is still more than good enough to win some massive fights.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
If Tito's fighting again he should be at 160 MAX, even then he should satay away from the danger guys like Pavlik and AA, he could make fights at 160 against Oscar, SSM or Cotto, the money in these fights would ensure the guys move up to face him.

Tito looked far from shot against Roy whomever was implying this, he looked the best ive seen him for a long time, the weight was just to much for him, Tito was never the biggest of middleweights the Roy fight was just above super middleweight.

Tito is still more than good enough to win some massive fights.
you are 100% right Dude.

Go Tito:thumbsup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
WHY ????? I dont think we need to see Tito anymore

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WHY ????? I dont think we need to see Tito anymore
Why is that?

He clearly still has some to give....

·
Registered
349 Posts
You serious Tommy ? You really care to see him ? I for one could care less to see him again .. He Looked like crap against RJJ .. Was thinking about retiring again after that.. Ragin . If he fought Miranda I think Miranda would work him badly .. Tito looked out of shape and he is out of time .. he and a couple others need to hang it up.. all he would be fighting for is $$ again thats it .. he will never win any titles.. so I have no desire to see him fight anyone really

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You serious Tommy ? You really care to see him ? I for one could care less to see him again .. He Looked like crap against RJJ .. Was thinking about retiring again after that.. Ragin . If he fought Miranda I think Miranda would work him badly .. Tito looked out of shape and he is out of time .. he and a couple others need to hang it up.. all he would be fighting for is $$ again thats it .. he will never win any titles.. so I have no desire to see him fight anyone really

He was fighting nearly 4 weight classes above his natural, he also fought against the best RJ we've seen for 5 years, he never gassed either, Tito is one of the best conditioned atletes in the world, he can run marathons he's so fit.

He needs to move down in weight though, plenty to give at 154 or 160.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts