Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fight is currently being discussed to match former champions Felix "Tito" Trinidad (48-4-1, 32 KO) and Jermain Taylor (27-2-1, 17 KO), with HBO televising in either September or October. This past weekend, promoter Don King met with Felix Trinidad Sr. and his attorneys to discuss the possibility of his Tito fighting Taylor, and then, if his son beats Taylor, a possible meeting down the line with the winner of Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins, scheduled for April 19.

"HBO has offered us the last week of September or the first one of October to have the fight with Taylor. And later we would be able to go against the winner of the fight between Joe Calzaghe and Hopkins," said King to El Nuevo Dia.

Trinidad returned to the ring in January after a near three-year layoff. He was knocked down twice and went on to lose a unanimous decision to Roy Jones Jr. Despite the loss, Trinidad did well enough in the fight to continue his career. Taylor is coming off back-to-back losses to undisputed middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik.

Trinidad fought Jones at 170-pounds, and Taylor is moving up to 168. There is no word on the weight, but it will likely fall at a catch-weight between super middleweight and light heavyweight. Also, no word if HBO will televise the bout on their regular network or on pay-per-view.

Trinidad Sr., who is also his son's trainer and manager, feels that a fight with Hopkins is the most lucrative fight, but King says that Trinidad should first take on Taylor and then meet Hopkins in a revenge bout. Hopkins handed Trinidad the first defeat of his career in 2001, stopping him in the twelfth-round. At the same time, everyone involved recognizes that Hopkins will be a lot more difficult to negotiate a fight.

"I believe that a fight with Hopkins is the most attractive one for us. We are going to continue speaking, share this information with Tito, and to see what happens," Trinidad Sr. said.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Could be a entertaining fight and i would be taking Taylor late stoppage.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a entertaining fight and i would be taking Taylor late stoppage.
I agree Brutus. Tito just aint big enough to beat these 160+ guys.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Taylor should get the KO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What seems strange to me is that they turned down a fight with pavlik at 160 cos he couldn't make the weight. For someone who was a welterweight for ages and then a very comfortable junior middle how the hell can't he make 160! He must have got huge over the three year lay-off. He won't win a fight above 160 against practically anyone, apart from maybe mid range people.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
What seems strange to me is that they turned down a fight with pavlik at 160 cos he couldn't make the weight. For someone who was a welterweight for ages and then a very comfortable junior middle how the hell can't he make 160! He must have got huge over the three year lay-off. He won't win a fight above 160 against practically anyone, apart from maybe mid range people.
I agree 100%

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Taylor will smack'm around for a couple of rounds then finish him somewhere before the ten round, papa trinidad is making a mistake taking this fight,he should let Tito feel his way throug a couple of lesser opponents, Taylor still in his prime and in one piece, he went the full distance last time out and made it a fight, for Taylor, Tito is just what the Doctor ordered...OLD, SLOW, and ready to go....

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I think Papa Tito is trying to end his kids career.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tito lazy ass should train and get back down to 154 where he could still be elite!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I can't beleive the day has come where I would say Jermain Taylor beats Felix Trinidad but it's come. And why does the man want to go out with a couple loses after a great career?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't beleive the day has come where I would say Jermain Taylor beats Felix Trinidad but it's come. And why does the man want to go out with a couple loses after a great career?
Its all about the dough Matty.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Cause he and his dad are two hard headed stuborn fools who don,t have the brains to move on to something else....

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Taylor has looked poor against smaller fighters in the past, maybe team Tito fancy this one.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Taylor has looked poor against smaller fighters in the past, maybe team Tito fancy this one.
They look bad against quick little fast blown up WWs. Tito aint that.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 125 Posts