Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to begin with im 17 y/o. I'm training casually(i live near a school and that school has a stadium, so i train there. i do runing, pull ups, dips. I have also had some weightlifting experience in the past, for about a year). And i want to ask, if im not too late to start? And what about weightlifting? im planing on returning to it after the summer holidays.. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Don't weight lift, and your not too late to start. Try going to the local gym or PAL (Police Athletic League) and they can get you started off.

·
Registered
318 Posts
rusho said:
to begin with im 17 y/o. I'm training casually(i live near a school and that school has a stadium, so i train there. i do runing, pull ups, dips. I have also had some weightlifting experience in the past, for about a year). And i want to ask, if im not too late to start? And what about weightlifting? im planing on returning to it after the summer holidays.. :dunno:
You are never too old. I'm 34 and started boxing 1 year ago. If the city you live in offers more than one gym, go visit them all. Ask if each gym provides gloves and headgear because it can get expensive to buy all of the gear and then not stick with it. Find out if each gym is active in amateur competitions if that is what you would like to do.

Give yourself a chance! I have seen many people show at my gym and they quit after just one day. Even if you are in good shape a boxing workout can be a bit different than what you are used to. I assure it get's easier rather quickly.

Are you in or around Columbus, OH by any chance? I have a great coach has a slot open right now.

Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help people!
and no i do not live in OH, i dont even live in USA. i live in a small country called lithuania, which is near the baltic sea.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Ive heard of it. Are there any cities or towns in your area that has a gym or PAL?

·
Registered
25 Posts
bill1234 said:
Don't weight lift, and your not too late to start. Try going to the local gym or PAL (Police Athletic League) and they can get you started off.
Why would you advise not to weight lift? Surely it would help improve strength in the arms and legs.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
It makes you slower and it will make it a lot easier to get winded and gassed. Lifting weights is just bad for a boxer to do. Today's heavyweights are the perfect examples.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well yeah, there are 2 gyms that i know, 1st is very small and has only a ring and a bag and the other is a lot bigger also there are more trainers (3 if im not wrong).
and what about the competition and my age? would i be able to catch up if i work really hard?
by the way, my back is probably the weakest part of my body and my legs are the strongest part.
and which weight class should i try to aim to? i currently weighing 73kg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Aim for a weight you feel natural at your current weight should be fine especially as you're just starting.

Don't worry about weight just work on technique.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
rusho said:
well yeah, there are 2 gyms that i know, 1st is very small and has only a ring and a bag and the other is a lot bigger also there are more trainers (3 if im not wrong).
and what about the competition and my age? would i be able to catch up if i work really hard?
by the way, my back is probably the weakest part of my body and my legs are the strongest part.
and which weight class should i try to aim to? i currently weighing 73kg

If I were you, I would go to the bigger one. It will expose you to more variety of styles and trainers. Well, don't forget there will be people your age and your experience in competions, but as of sparring, I don't know. Me personally, I am in a sparring bind. Either the person will have to go easy on me the whole time, and will still beat me up, but I learned a lot, or I have to go really easy, beat the person up, and learn next to nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay, thanks for the help. i appreciate it! i think that all my questions are now completely answered, thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
bill1234 said:
It makes you slower and it will make it a lot easier to get winded and gassed. Lifting weights is just bad for a boxer to do. Today's heavyweights are the perfect examples.
bill, i don't want to sounds arrogant to your opinion (Ive even had more people on other sites telling me not to weight lift) but I really don't want to give up my weight training. If you seen my other thread you know Im not in a class or anything for boxing; Im like most of these guys, just beginning to practice everything with a new bag I've got.

But if I did't want to stop working with weights, what could you suggest for me? To lift few pounds for high reps to stay "smaller" than if I was doing say the work of a power lifter? Is the only problem with lifting the fact that you get bulky or what?

Also, how do pros get so huge and "ripped" (a boxer's kind of ripped) if they DON'T lift?

Thanks bro :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
the pros u see r so ripped because they do alot of muscle toning activities, and dont have an ounce of fat on them so any muscle they have, shows

1 - 13 of 13 Posts