Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems everyone here is in agreement that the Heavyweights are a joke as of late. Well, maybe not a joke but leave a alot to be desired. Out of curiosity does anyone have ideas on how and when it will get back into prime shape? Any great prospects that are coming up?

All I can say is I saw a fight on showtime a week or 2 ago and it was the worst fight I've seen. Cant rememebr who. Was on an island or something and these two morons were so damn boring I wanted to strangle them both.

Also, the fact that Sam Peter is a contender is a sad state. he wouldn't be close to top ten as few as 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
No, you were right, it is a joke. There is only one guy out there now that would be a top 10 20 years ago on back, and that is Wlad Klitchsko. Even then, he would only have like a 30-10-5 record. It wouldn't surprise me that if you gave Foreman or Holmes 1 year to train, they could hold their own against a lot of the guys out there in a 3 round fight.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Hehe yeah its really sad altought i think Wlad is a great boxer with heavy hands you really cant take him seriously with his chin. Chagaev is decent tho but Peter, Maskaev, Briggs, Ibragimov and those guys are bad.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If history is any teacher, it's just a matter of time before someone steps up, but the current crop is pathetic indeed.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's up with Vitali? Is he going to step back in the game? Honestly I think he had more skill that his brother and he very well could have been a contender 10-15 years ago. He sure gave Lennox a brawl. Too bad that cut ended the fight.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Icantbox said:
What's up with Vitali? Is he going to step back in the game? Honestly I think he had more skill that his brother and he very well could have been a contender 10-15 years ago. He sure gave Lennox a brawl. Too bad that cut ended the fight.
you didn't hear? vitali lost an eyelash and had to pullout of yet another fight;):laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
there are some very,very good HW's out there today, the problem with the division is theres 4 title holders and 3 or 4 contenders claiming to be the man.

vitali is returning he should be back early 08.

the kilt bros, sultan ibragimov, russlan chagaev and cruiserweight champion moving up david haye are all excellant fighters.

IMO david haye will be the saviour and he'll be the one who unifys the titles, im very excited about the HW division these days, theres big fights about to be made.

by the way, wlad and sultan ibragimov have signed to fight in a unification battle, so thats another plus sign. :)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
BigDigga said:
you didn't hear? vitali lost an eyelash and had to pullout of yet another fight;):laugh:
ROF. :cheeky4:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
TommyGunn said:
there are some very,very good HW's out there today, the problem with the division is theres 4 title holders and 3 or 4 contenders claiming to be the man.

the kilt bros, sultan ibragimov, russlan chagaev and cruiserweight champion moving up david haye are all excellant fighters.

IMO david haye will be the saviour and he'll be the one who unifys the titles, im very excited about the HW division these days, theres big fights about to be made.

by the way, wlad and sultan ibragimov have signed to fight in a unification battle, so thats another plus sign. :)

Com'on man! Get real.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TommyGunn said:

The problem is they are fat, out of shape, slow, and very little good talent.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
how much fat is there on any the guys i mensioned?

i just gave you 5 or 6 names who can all box great and fight a hard 12 rounds.

these are facts guys!

CMON!!

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Rayman said:
yeah that's what I meant...How many other ways can it be stated?
The best HW since Lennox Lewis prime is sitting in a Vegas Jail
Ike The President Ibeabuchi How I wish Ike was fighting today

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sorry, I live in the 70's and 80's when it comes to heavyweights,
but if they entertain you that's good. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TommyGunn said:
how much fat is there on any the guys i mensioned?

i just gave you 5 or 6 names who can all box great and fight a hard 12 rounds.

these are facts guys!

CMON!!
Ruslan Chagaev isn't what I call tight. Ibragimov is iffy. Vitali gets hurt too easy and too much now. Wlad is good, but his chin is a huge downer, and he still has some stamina problems, but are nothing compared to what they used to be.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Ruslan Chagaev isn't what I call tight. Ibragimov is iffy. Vitali gets hurt too easy and too much now. Wlad is good, but his chin is a huge downer, and he still has some stamina problems, but are nothing compared to what they used to be.
your going on what you've heard bill, you dont even watch much boxing thats not black and white or features larry holmes.

chagaev and sultan are 2 very busy HW's, wlad doesn't have a strong chin but he's got one of the best jabs in history. vitali is a master boxer also with a great jab and can also fight at a pace for 12.

haye can do it all, box,fight,huge puncher....

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Hoepfully David Haye and Povietkin can bring some new light to the division but theres still far to many dead wood in the division.

Latest I hear Matt Skelton id lined up for a tittle shot v Chagaev!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree with you tommy. The heavy weights arnt nearly as bad as everyone seems to think.
Other then Wlads chin there isnt much bad to say, and his chin makes it exciting if anything. its like Wlads weakness makes the fights unpredictable and fun to watch.. like a HW Cotto or something. I really think thats why Cotto is so much fun to watch, he seems very vulnerable but always manges do eek out the win.
Why is Ibragimov "iffy"? Ok so he's a small HW but i think small HW's have proven there ability in the division (Holyfield) He's fast, he throws VERY good combinations, he didnt get wobbled by Shannon Briggs best shots, and is very busy. And, if you think its a plus, he's a Southpaw.
I havent really seen Chagaev fight so i cant comment on that. but the 2 guys i mentioned above are scheduled to fight soon, which should be exiting.

-Melty

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Since when has boxing been about who looks the best? Ibragimov make look abit flabby, as does Povetkin, but they both have proven they have the ability to go 12 rounds at a high pace so whats the problem? Obviously, this is probably one of the worst HW eras of all-time but its gradually improving.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Well im still holding firm on Peter being the next undisputed HW champ. And he beat Klitchko for that title.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts