Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here use gloves from Top Contender. I need a pair of 16oz sparring gloves and these look like a great deal. Im an extreme newbie and dont want to spend very much on a pair of sparring gloves as I'll probably buy new ones as I get better and more serious. I would like to place an order some time this week. So any info is greatly appreciated!!

Here is the link
Top Contender Mexican Sparring Gloves at Ringside.com

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
There are a few of us on the site that use Ringside gloves. They are a terrific company that produces very good quality equipment at great prices.

I personally havent used their Top Contender line yet, but you can certainly bank on the quality of Ringside.

I say go for 'em.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got the gloves in last night. My first impression is that they are sturdy and comfortable. The leather is real nice, and the stitching looks strong. I slipped them on with out wraps on just to see how the feel. They feel a little too roomy on the inside, and my thumb feels a bit exposed. Ill make sure to post a more detailed write up on them after i use them in the ring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The website didnt specify what size they are, neither does the receipt. They are 16 oz, mexican style gloves. I have no other info besides that. The sparring write up will be posted this tuesday night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wrapped up slipped on and sparred with the top contenders this morning. I have to say they are decent at best! When I compare them to my Ringside 14oz gloves, they dont seem as sturdy and well made. When I slipped them on they feel a bit more roomy than I prefer. The mexican style cuff doesnt allow my fist to rest against the internal. Which creats a small gap between the two. The thumb is placed somewhat high and out of place. I actually compressed my thumb a little with an out of place straight right hand. Worst of all the glove face crests just above my second knuckle. Basically forcing me to slightly bend my wrist to make contact with my first knuckle. We all know how easy it is to sprain a wrist. Lastly the strings are not long enough to wrap around the cuff, which makes them feel slightly loose. On the bright side, they feel light on. Im sure the impact area will flatten out once they are slightly broken in. I will relace them with longer laces. All in all, I guess I got what I paid for. Ill use them for a couple more weeks, then decide if I want to buy new gloves.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
wow, that sucks. I guess their Top Contender line isnt holding up to their brand lines. I've only had positive experiences with Ringside brand gear so far. Make sure you le tthem know about that as they may do something for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can really agree with you here as ringide do some fantastic boxing gloves. If you are looking to buy some real quality mexican ones then the boxing gloves to go for would be the cleto reyes boxing gloves collection but whilst they aren't the cheap boxing equipment you might find in some places you will find them sturdy and last well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Boxfituk. Actually I am currently using Title T-gel 160z gloves to spar with, and I am very pleased. I have noticed many pros using the cleto brand, and they are little out my price range. They will look into them more thoroughly when I buy my next pair of sparring gloves. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's no worries thunderezy they are not cheap boxing gloves but if you are looking for high quality durable gloves then the Cleto reyes gloves are certainly up there with the best. Good luck !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts