Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Top Ten Journeymen.....know what a Journeyman is?

12K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  daveDaboxingfan 
White Tyson said:
So would Eric "Butterbean" Esch be a journeyman? His an obese bastard but can still kick the asses of a lot of 'much fitter, quicker and in better shape' Pro Boxers?

NOTE: I'll probably be a "JOURNEYMAN!!!"
What you mean Butterbean can beat contenders? He got his record from beating guys with losing/500 records. When Holmes was 52 he beat Butterbean who was in his early 30's

Dr. Wisdom said:
Greatest Journymen ?? Wow that is a tough one, because there has been so many

Micky Ward -- Great Fighter, he did have a lot of ups and downs

Emanuel Augustus -- Will fight at the drop of a hat, has upset sevrial contenders, but has also lost some fights that he should not of

Ross Purity -- Has banged with the best of them.

Chuck Wepner -- I do not know if he should be condsidered an all time great, but he is worth mentioning. He is known mainly for knocking Ali down with a shot, and raising his hands shouting to his corner "Start the car and go to the bank because we are rich" and his trainer stated back " You better turn around, because he is getting up and he looks pissed" He is also the insperation for the Rocky Movies

Francios "The White Buffalo" Botha -- One hell of a chin, could box, but could never beat the best. He did get a un deserved shot at the title agisnt Lewis where he was knocked out of the ring in the second round. He did how ever fight well.

Corey Sanders -- Before he beat Wlad Klitchko he was considered nothing more than a journey man, hard hitter, good hand speed, but very poor mng-ment.

There is too many to name, and none of these are in a particular order. I mainly mentioned Heavy weights, there are a lot of smaller fighters who were great Journy men as well.
Thats right, I forgot about Wepner. You had to go threw him to become a contender.

Sinker said:
Hope this first post isn't taken out of context. J-men are made from other combinations, also. Hometown crowds and referees, promotors with agendas, personal problems outside the ring, and incompetent trainers and managers have relegated some mighty good talent out of the mainstream to the top, and sometimes into obscurity.
Yup, thats why boxing is a very brutal sprot out side of the ring too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.