Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Top Ten Journeymen.....know what a Journeyman is?

12K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  daveDaboxingfan 
Boxing said:
Here's the criteria and category of fighters....

1. Champion
2. Contender
3. Fringe Contender
4. Journeyman
5. Trial Horse
6. Ham-n-Egger

A Journeyman is a fighter that can beat a champion on any given night due to his skill and heart; but generally isn't in the best of shape because of fighting too frequently or not being able to focus solely on boxing because of his regular job and need to pay the bills. Most are "Journeymen" due to bad breaks and bad management; but not due to lack of ability. These are the guys that are the preverbial "jack of all trades but masters of none"....they are just a notch below; but on any given night, can win it all. They fight the best and most of the time they lose....they are the fighters that will prove if your young prospect is the real thing or not because they will either make him or break him. Here's to the Journeymen....the backbone of boxing.

(Don't confuse a one-time contender who has slipped into journeyman status with a true journeyman.)....example: Ross Purity was a journeyman as was Oliver McCall before he won the title and Bert Cooper.

So....

Who are the Top Ten best p4p Journeymen ever?
Who are the Top Ten best heavyweight Journeymen ever?
So would Eric "Butterbean" Esch be a journeyman? His an obese bastard but can still kick the asses of a lot of 'much fitter, quicker and in better shape' Pro Boxers?

NOTE: I'll probably be a "JOURNEYMAN!!!"

bill1234 said:
What you mean Butterbean can beat contenders? He got his record from beating guys with losing/500 records. When Holmes was 52 he beat Butterbean who was in his early 30's
Oh yeah... I'm so stupid

Dr. Wisdom said:
Micky Ward -- Great Fighter, he did have a lot of ups and downs
'That guy right there is the greatest journeyman I think!!!'

Dr. Wisdom said:
I like Augustus, he is one of the greatest J-man. Those who have ever seen him fight, has to enjoy it. He gives a great show, fights hard, and can dance very well in the ring (literly) I am still waiting for him to pull of a windmill inside the ring, or a head spin.
You say good Things!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.