Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Ermm i dno.. the obvious ones that spring to mind are Hagler, SRR (better at 147, but still good at 160), Greb, Monzon and Hopkins. Those 5 came to mind straight away, id have to think though to get a top 10...

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
#1. SRR
#2. marvin hagler.
#3. carlos monzon
#4. bernard hopkins
#5. **** tiger.
#6. harry greb
#7. jake LA motta
#8. rocky graziano.
#9. micheal nunn.
#10. tony janiro.

·
Registered
652 Posts
According to the IBRO this is the Top 10.

1.Harry Greb
2.Sugar Ray Robinson
3.Stanley Ketchel
4.Mickey Walker
5.Carlos Monzon
6.Marvin Hagler
7.Marcel Cerdan
8.Bob Fitzsimmons
9.Jake LaMotta
10.Charley Burley

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
WelshDevilRob said:
According to the IBRO this is the Top 10.

1.Harry Greb
2.Sugar Ray Robinson
3.Stanley Ketchel
4.Mickey Walker
5.Carlos Monzon
6.Marvin Hagler
7.Marcel Cerdan
8.Bob Fitzsimmons
9.Jake LaMotta
10.Charley Burley
IMO robinson has to be #1 on any list composed, no hopkins either. i find that strange because he had 20 defences and a very long reign.

i think a lot of these lists are composed by older guys who show bias towards the fighters in there era, im not saying they wern't all great fighters but hopkins would have beaten walker, cerdan and burley, bob fitzsimmons deserves a mension though, not so much for his middleweight exploits but for his HW exploits.

i think nard would most probably have beaten LA motta on points to.

·
Registered
652 Posts
tommygunn said:
IMO robinson has to be #1 on any list composed, no hopkins either. i find that strange because he had 20 defences and a very long reign.

i think a lot of these lists are composed by older guys who show bias towards the fighters in there era, im not saying they wern't all great fighters but hopkins would have beaten walker, cerdan and burley, bob fitzsimmons deserves a mension though, not so much for his middleweight exploits but for his HW exploits.

i think nard would most probably have beaten LA motta on points to.

I honestly can't see how Bernard Hopkins would get anywhere near the alltime Top 10, he may have 20 defences but the opposition was mainly poor or guys coming up in weight.

Also Hopkins biggest fight at Middleweight and his whole career was against Roy Jones Junior who beat him comfortably.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
No Joe gets no credit cause the best fighters he ahs fought are Jeff Lacy, chris Eubank and maby some other i cant remember now but you get the point, while Hopkins won Trinidat while he was the top fighter p4p, he won Oscar De La Hoya and was the first and only man to stop Oscar.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
At that time, Oscar was a borderline 147/154 fighter fighting up at 160 just for $.. and Felix Trinidad was never anything special above 147. Hopkins never fought a top natural MW fighter in his 20 defences. Eubank was a hell of a good fighter, and he wasnt past it because he went on to fight at Cruiserweight twice and not disgrace himself in either, Lacy was "the next tyson" until Calzaghe whooped his ass and the yanks all turned on him. Woodhall, Reid, Bika, Veit and Mitchell were all the same level as fighters Hopkins was facing.. but because he did it in the US he gets the credit.

Im no Hopkins hater man, i think hes deserving of the credit he gets.. but IMO hes not nailed on for Top 10 all-time and hasnt done much more impressive than Calzaghe. He stepped upto 175 and schooled Tarver, thats the only thing he has on Calzaghe.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well maby but Eubank was done, he had Joe in trouble but after that aciident with the guy he paralized he just couldnt finish the fighters like he used to and i say that if Eubank would have had that killer instinct he had he would had finsihed Joe but hey woulda, shoulda, coulda doesnt matter he didnt period. Still think that Hopkins is more deserving :D

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
TysonJones said:
althought he didnt stay at middleweight very long, rj beats any other middleweight in history. Followed up by marvin hagler as a close 2nd.

If you reallly think Roy Jones is the best Mw ever you are crazy. Marvin Hagler would have destroyed him, Monzon too heck Hearns would had knocked him out and ofc SRR imo would take Rj. I wouldnt rank Rj in top 10 mw all time simply cause he didnt do anything super great at mw.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LeedsLad said:
I think Hagler would beat RJJ at Middleweight, but it would be a close fight.
Ye i dont think roy would have been destroyed because most people said the same about ray leonard. I no roy isnt no ray but he did have great skills and they are the fighters that gave the hagler kind of fighters trouble as leonard showed. I would defo put my money on hagler. And i wouldnt rate jones jr middleweight great. I think he was great fighter though.:thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
roy jones jr was in a different league than sugar ray leonard. Jones would of beat hagler the same way leonard did but jones had power like mugabi did at that ewight. Get your facts straight. Im crazy......... ok im crazy.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
lol p4p roy jones is much more than sugar ray leonard. jones won titles in a 40 pound range. leonard didnt do that. robinson tried but failed. ( although he almost got the lhw title ).

Robinson wasnt that great at middleewight ( he wasnt even the best in his era at middleweight ). Hearns would of knocked out robinson at middleweight and jones had just as much power at middlweight than hearns did, if not more. People forget how strong and amazingly fast rj was at that weight, even though he didnt stay at that weight very long. But believe ewhat you want.

·
Registered
652 Posts
TysonJones said:
lol p4p roy jones is much more than sugar ray leonard. jones won titles in a 40 pound range. leonard didnt do that. robinson tried but failed. ( although he almost got the lhw title ).

Robinson wasnt that great at middleewight ( he wasnt even the best in his era at middleweight ). Hearns would of knocked out robinson at middleweight and jones had just as much power at middlweight than hearns did, if not more. People forget how strong and amazingly fast rj was at that weight, even though he didnt stay at that weight very long. But believe ewhat you want.
Your rating RJJ above SRR and SRL I think your the 1st person who has ever done that.
There is no way on earth that Roy Jones is better than Sugar Ray Leonard. Leonard beat Hearns at Welterweight.
Tommy Hearns would have chinned Roy Jones.
Roys a fantastic fighter and a great but he ain't better than the Sugar's lmao.
The thing that seperates Jones and Leonard is that Leonard could tough it out if he needed to- the 1st Hearns fight is evidence of that while I don't remember Roy ever proving that?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts