Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I myself went on whey protein just to gain some muscle in the right places for boxing, but I laid off recently to cut back on gaining too much weight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Supplements are good but make sure you chose the right ones for what you want. Don't use weight gainers unless you want to add a lot of bulk. TO gain the pounds naturaly, adjust your diet to include more carbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Barbell squats, chinups, Bench press, and shoulder front press (and a set of biceps curls)
- learn these exercises. I suggest working a twice-a-week session into your boxing routine. Last 2 weeks before a fight... just go light with one set of each.

Old time boxing coaches go nuts on me when I talk like this. but... I managed to stay in my weight division and after a summer of weights 3 x a week (and the heavy bag)...I had a lot more speed and power when we started up again in Sept. Strong front delt's are an asset in your last round when the gloves get 'heavy.' So are strong legs

Creatine IMO is junk and bloats you. You could use a carbo high complex.. but use it very sparingly.. I do use a Soy Protein supplement (Vanilla-flavored) that's made by PVL Nutrients.
1 1/2 to 2 hours before a workout. It is also a great breakfast drink. Chop up a banana, add an egg, and a shot of milk to the juice to reduce acidity - you can even add strawberries... 20 secs in a blender and presto!

Having said all this, at my age of 60, my energy needs are different from yours

·
Registered
36 Posts
never forget that supplements are just that, supplements. If you maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle should provide you with all the nutrients that you need.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies

I think I'm going to stick with stacking Optimum's whey protein with NO-XPLODE. I heard that this combination works very well. They have both been proven to work and are both award winning. I have been on whey protein for a while now. Its not like i'm changing weight divisions or anything, I'm going to be a heavyweight no matter what. Obviously with all this, I'm living a squeaky clean lifestyle with a great diet along with working out hard 4 days a week.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Train natural, no supplements. Holmes didn't use supplements, neither did Marciano. And look how in shape they were.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Train natural, no supplements. Holmes didn't use supplements, neither did Marciano. And look how in shape they were.
holyfeild did when he enginered his move from cruiser to heavy and it worked for him. i know a lot of guy who swear by supliments.

·
Registered
612 Posts
bill1234 said:
Train natural, no supplements.

Holmes didn't use supplements, neither did Marciano.

And look how in shape they were.
Right train natural, that's the best way.

But I think it okay to take multi-Vitaims and Mineral supplements I often always did, and still do.

They say its hard, really impossible to get all the nutrients we need from the food that we eat today.

I've read studies on it and learned that our food supply today lacks the norishment that it use to have.

JJC

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
holyfeild did when he enginered his move from cruiser to heavy and it worked for him. i know a lot of guy who swear by supliments.
But Holyfield had a lot of pain from it too. He had a terrible pain in his gut before, and a little after his fight with Lweis (the first one).

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Be very careful with using NO2 or any other supplements. In most cases, you can get the vitamins, nutrients, and energy calories that the body needs, by building the right menu for your diet. I used NO2 years ago, and ended up having problems with hemorrhoids due to the increased vascularity and blood flow. It certainly isnt worth risking health problems for MINIMAL gains, and I do mean minimal. A multi-vitamin should be fine if needed, but I would recommend against using supplements. Try asking a nutritionist about a diet to suit your personal needs for the goal you want to accomplish. It can be done naturally and without the added health risks that many of todays supplements expose you to!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts