Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been boxing three days a week, for about a month now.
My question is...when is the best time to lift weights? Off days? or the same days I go to the gym?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Weights is not something you should be worried about much you're still beginning right? If so then just work on stamina and getting punches right. Lifting weights will give you strength but i don't think its very important for boxers. If you do want to lift weights you'll have to take a day off of training for weight training because those days you're off is the time you're resting.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have been boxing three days a week, for about a month now.
My question is...when is the best time to lift weights? Off days? or the same days I go to the gym?
A lot of boxers say you shouldn't lift weights but I tend to disagree on some basis. I also train 3 times a week but then lift on my days off(2-3 times a week). The most important thing is to make your weight training cardio training at the same time to eliminate muscle fatigue. Do circuit WO's, superset lifts, do light weight with high reps and add some jump roping and running after your done lifting to get extra cardio. Do alot of good stuff with the bungee's, strengthen your rotator cuff's, get some KO power. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
To be honest i never really thought about it like that. It is good to build strength but then again you shouldn't be worrying SO much on weight training. One day i think is enough. It builds strength but its not as important as training at the gym sparring and hitting the bag and running

·
Registered
18 Posts
weights

Give Olympic style lifts a try. combine multiple ones into a complex. Romanian dead-lift to clean to over head press to overhead squat.
Lighter weight with more reps but if you wanted to periodize limit the hypertrophy or switch it out all together.
The multi joint movements with recruit your core and get everything firing. An additional benefit is the improved CNS function and coordination improvements.
If you like them they make lifting more exciting than simple isolation work.

jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts