Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aspiring Amateur Fighter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just saying hi as this is my first post on this forum. I've competed in a few martial arts before. For 7 years pre-college I did Shotokan Karate where I earned my blackbelt. In this we broke down twice a month and had some fun with Kickboxing so I have a little experience in that.

For 2 years after that I did Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing. Now I've recently decided I'd like to make the conversion into amateur boxing. I've joined a club and train Monday, Wednesday and a private session as well as a group class on Fridays.

The transition from firing the punches from the waist opposed to boxing style was a little tricky to break the habit at first, but I've gotten passed that and am impressing a few of the amateur fighters at the club.

I'm 25 years old, and hadn't thought that starting an amateur career at this age would be possible to remain competative however, the club owner and trainer have expressed interests in me representing their club as an amateur. Any advice outside learning the basics and going through the motions (which I am doing 3 times weekly at the club) you can offer is greatly appreciated. I'm aware that I have atleast a 5 month time frame before I'd feel comfortable in hopping into an amateur fight.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just train hard. Work on conditioning, head movement and when your sparring work on throwing more than 1 punch at a time. remember it's amateur boxing and when you start throwing 5,6,7,8 punch combintions the judges will give you points even if they're not landing because you are the busier fighter.

·
Aspiring Amateur Fighter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I work nightshift and am around during the day so I've been getting alot of great training. Alot of the time it's basically like a private lesson, and I do take private lessons as well once a week. Boxing a minimum of three times a week. Also been researching and reading alot. Working on skipping alot, as I find this fairly difficult right now and hope to increase my mobility. Recently he's been bringing in a few of his amateur fighters to spar with me and you really do learn in a hurry that it is as skillful of an art as any. Amazing being the stronger fighter and being outskilled by head movement and jabs. Definitely a quick way to learn and appreciate the sport. Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

·
Registered
216 Posts
25 yo is no problem but certainly no advantage :cop: i started at 27 did 26 fights so it can be done, all depends on your entourage really, don't step into the ring to fast you will learn the hard way :gun2:
Good luck, boxing is a virus if you got it you will walk the walk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts