Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my 1st post as new on here.

i have signed up to fight in 6 weeks for charity.
Been training the last 2 weeks and loving it.
(I’m 42) boxed a bit when younger (until around 15)
My question is I’m facing an opponent who I’ve been matched with.
he is considerably younger and taller than I am (I’m 5’6”)
That’s not my issue.
My issue is how to deal with the fact he stands so side on to me that he almost showing me his back.
Finding it difficult to break through

thanks I’m advance
Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. This is my 1st post as new on here.

i have signed up to fight in 6 weeks for charity.
Been training the last 2 weeks and loving it.
(I’m 42) boxed a bit when younger (until around 15)
My question is I’m facing an opponent who I’ve been matched with.
he is considerably younger and taller than I am (I’m 5’6”)
That’s not my issue.
My issue is how to deal with the fact he stands so side on to me that he almost showing me his back.
Finding it difficult to break through

thanks I’m advance
Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jason. I see you have three weeks before your match. Hopefully, you've come up with some ideas about boxing an adversary who doesn't give many targets given his stance.

A couple of things you may want to do are find out how rigid his stance is. In other words is his stance one of good basic habit or does he make a decent effort to keep his posture and arms in place. Often times a fighter who has a stance like this is primarily a defensive fighter and not really a big combination puncher. You can be effective throwing combinations and then moving away.

Movement. Find out how easily he is able to keep his stance and move around the ring. Many times an opponent like this can be taken off balance by moving side to side as well as in and out.

His power hand (not usually his lead jabbing hand) is back farther and given a very sharp angle of the stance will take slightly longer to land from it's guard position.

Work feints to find out what he will bite on and notice if he reacts the same way. If he slips punches in the same way over and over he can be timed with a punch that is thrown to where you know he will move to.

Overall, without seeing you or the opponent I would suggest you practice a lot of movement and combinations. Condition yourself to throw at least three punches when in range and then either move out of range or move off to the side. Counterpunch the same way. Combos and movement. Also, given this scenario, I would say you take the fight to him and keep him off balance by giving him angles and by forcing him to deal with your punch production. Always, always, always move your head after your punches whether it be a single or combination. Make this a priority when you are training.

Best of luck to you. I look forward to hearing how your training is coming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts