Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 17, been training out of american kickboxing academy in san jose, ca for a year. mostly kickboxing, jiujitsu and wrestling for the most part of that year. i got really into boxing in the last couple of months and that's pretty much all i have been training. wat kinda advice or tips do sum of you who train have for me now that i wana get my first amateur fight? ill most likely be fighting @ bantamweight cuz im 118 lbs (5'5'', 63" reach) right now. here is one of my recent smokers. i went up against the state muay thai champ who also trains @ aka and he took it really easy on me lol. ive gotten a lot better since then tho, mainly: i keep my chin down now, i have way better head movement, better cardio, i hunch over so my elbows can protect my body better, i control the ring better (angles and not walking myself into the corner) and i throw more. tell me wat u think and wat i need work on...

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sound like you have all your bases covered, just remember to work off the jab. Also you can do 30 sec drills on the heavy bag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sound like you have all your bases covered, just remember to work off the jab. Also you can do 30 sec drills on the heavy bag.
i work the heavy bag anytime i have nothing to do so im getting in my bagwork. as for drilling on the bag i do my cardio seperately so when i work the bag it's usually to practice my combos and that kind of thing. also ive been doing a lot of shadowboxing with 2 lb weights and it's helping my punching speed and shoulder endurance a lot... do u train?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Damn man... You look pretty solid, especially for your second amateur fight (which I'm guessing is a smoker). Stamina was your most glaring weakness in the video (you said you improved it, so that's good), your footwork needs some help, but it's no bad, you do need to include more lateral movement instead of straight forward. Also, you need to improve and establish your jab better. Your combinations are real good you get off pretty quick and they look real fluid. The more you throw the the better.

All in all, you look real solid and to tell you the truth I would concentrate on boxing because there probably isn't much money for the lower weights in those other sports.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Damn man... You look pretty solid, especially for your second amateur fight (which I'm guessing is a smoker). Stamina was your most glaring weakness in the video (you said you improved it, so that's good), your footwork needs some help, but it's no bad, you do need to include more lateral movement instead of straight forward. Also, you need to improve and establish your jab better. Your combinations are real good you get off pretty quick and they look real fluid. The more you throw the the better.

All in all, you look real solid and to tell you the truth I would concentrate on boxing because there probably isn't much money for the lower weights in those other sports.
thanx for the tips man. actually the smoker is jus more of a sparring session (3 rds, 2 min), i havent had an amateur fight yet but i think itll be nice to fight someone my own weight for once lol. ya ive been working a lot on my jab since then... it looks ugly in this video, ive been working on getting the full reach out of it and stuff like that. in this smoker i was using a jab and then i would bring it back a little and kind of jus hold it in their face but now im trying to throw more double jabs where i bring it back all the way so both jabs have pop. as for money in mma compared to boxing, ur absolutely right that boxing is the more logical choice if i'm going for money. but im jus doing bjj and kickboxing cuz i like to and i wana have at least 3 or 4 mma fights in my life for the experience of it. but ya my primary focus and my fav sport right now is boxing but ill still be doing bjj on the side for fun. as for moving straight forward ur totally correct, i could land way more and be much harder to counter off of if i angle off and throw... i got another smoker on dec 13th and ill put it up on here so u guys can see where i need more work and stuff

·
Registered
35 Posts
I trained for 13 yrs before I was involved in a car accident in Colorado About five yrs ago so I mainly coach and train with amateurs and a few pros. I'm slowly getting back to where I used to be in training.
But the way we do 30 sec drills is by doing combos. Lets say the first drill is focusing on body shots, the next on 1-2s, maybe nothing but straight jabs(southpaw/orthodox)last 6 punch combos. I love boxing ,i'm not saying I know everything but I've been around some great coaches and world champions. I use what is good and that works for me and disregard what doesn't. That is what i tell my boxers. Keep up the good and stay discipline.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I trained for 13 yrs before I was involved in a car accident in Colorado About five yrs ago so I mainly coach and train with amateurs and a few pros. I'm slowly getting back to where I used to be in training.
But the way we do 30 sec drills is by doing combos. Lets say the first drill is focusing on body shots, the next on 1-2s, maybe nothing but straight jabs(southpaw/orthodox)last 6 punch combos. I love boxing ,i'm not saying I know everything but I've been around some great coaches and world champions. I use what is good and that works for me and disregard what doesn't. That is what i tell my boxers. Keep up the good and stay discipline.
thanx man, it's good to hear this from someone who actually knows wat theyre talking about. i will definitely try those drills, as of now i have only been working full combos on the bag and not really taking the time to polish off specific punches like u were saying...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
today i went up against this 235 lb kid lol... i asked for a 3-rounder. the 1st round i was figuring him out, the 2nd i started to get shots in and get him up against the ropes so i was really pissed when they said it was over... he hit pretty hard but my chin seems to be pretty good...so far lol... if u click on this link it'll let u d-load it in high quality (d-loads fast)

http://blip.tv/file/get/Safaa524-5thBoxingSmoker967.AVI

·
Registered
35 Posts
A smoker is an Amateur boxing event between teams.How is the amateur programs in the UK? What do you guys call an Amateur boxing event in Britain?

·
Registered
468 Posts
The event itself would be called an Amateur boxing show, and the each fight on the show would be called an Amateur boxing match.

Yep we're original with our names over here :laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm I actually think your wrong on the definition of a smoker Big. A smoker isnt so much a show against teams but an unsanctioned show, and least thats the definition of a smoker in Michigan as far as I know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts