Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not so sure whether Joe should go up to Light heavy weight. He has seen Ricky Hatton attempt it twice and struggle to a “victory “and a heavy defeat at the weekend. I think Joe should look at it and just take a second to have a little look at other top boxer’s records when they also go up – Winky Wright – look what happened to him when he went up to fight Hopkins. That extra muscle will require more oxygen, which requires more stamina – now might not be a problem against a 43 year old Hopkins. But he would notice the extra power of Hopkins, the slight slack of speed in his punches, and he would start to lose more fitness. Look at De La Hoya when he fought Hopkins at Middle Weight and Shane Mosley and changed weight again. When he was down again- seems to be a trend with Hopkins as well doesn’t there but people do lose when they go up a weight. Even if they are a top top top class fighter – Hatton & De La Hoya Changing weight changes your training camp, changes the way you think, feel and act in and out of the ring. It takes a lot out of you to put on extra muscle, or for that matter lose weight. I’m just not sure about it.

The only consultation is Joe has the frame to carry it off, and has already proved that he can take big shots – lacy, Eubanks, Kessler to name a few, and also he is fighting a fighter who started and made his name at Middle weight, so really you can say he is maybe not a natural Light heavy. Weight, but maybe a super middle weight fighter.

But why is the obsession of late that number 1 – You need to fight in America, and number 2 – you need to be a two weight world champion. The Americans hate the fact that European fighters and fighters who are emerging from outside American and Mexico – who they seem to like, but the likes of Katsidis, Hayes, Maccranelli, Klitshko & Kessler. They are never going to be regarded as good as say a Peter Manfredo. I mean for me there would only be one winner if Jermaine Taylor fought Mikkel Kessler. And for me again there would only be one winner between Carl Froch and Jeff Lacy. The Americans should at last admit that we Britain even more so than the rest of Europe but we are producing fighters of world caliber and on a regular basis. We have six world champions at the moment: Joe Calzaghe, Ricky Hatton, Enzo Maccranneli, David Hayes, Junior Witter, and Clinton Woods, that is not too mention the new up coming fighters whom all have the potential to be world champions, then we have Carl Froch, Amir Khan, Matt Hatton & Frankie Gavin. In the case of Frankie Gavin he has done what some of the top boxers in the world have never done.

Joe Calzaghe, when he was younger could have gone after all different world titles at light middle, middle, super middle, light heavy. Or he did what he done and stayed as a World champion in his natural division for ten years. I have no doubt however that Joe has the ability to beat Hokins and become a two weight world champion, I was just wondering whether he should maybe look at it twice and see what has happened before.

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
joecalzaghe1 said:
We have six world champions at the moment: Joe Calzaghe, Ricky Hatton, Enzo Maccranneli, David Hayes, Junior Witter, and Clinton Woods,
7, we have gavin rees aswell

calzaghe will be stronger at light heavy because by now he says he'd be more comfortable putting the extra 7 pounds on instead of starving himself. myself, i think calzaghe will put a better performance at light heavy than he has done at super middle

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Calzaghe has the frame to easily add 7lbs, hes a tall guy and has been dehydrating himself to make 168 for years. I remember when he fought Robin Reid in 1999 and came in 1 and a half pounds over, even then he struggled to make the 168 limit. Its hard to believe Calzaghe could get any better at 175, but i dont think he'll get any worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts