Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to who you feel hit harder. Holmes was a bit older when he faced Tyson, but it can't be overlooked that Tyson was knocking Holmes every which way - I even feel Holmes was knocked cold at the end by Tyson.

We all know Holmes could take some great punches, so the question begs to be asked - who hit hardest between Shavers and Tyson?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Holmes said Shavers hit harder. He also said Cooney hit harder. Tyson may have beaten Larry up more, but Larry also took a lot more bombs before going down. It was taking 4-5 of Tyson's hardest money shots before Larry went down, and the one he even went down from the help of a push. Larry wasn't out cold after the last knock down, he was telling Richie to get the people off of him. IMO Cortez overreacted. Calling doctors in and all. OMG Larry just got dropped! Lets call the doctors and stuff in! He must be dead! :eek:

Tyson dropped most people with his combo's, and perfect timing and precision. A lot of guys that fought Tyson said they thought he would hit harder. 1/2 of Tyson's game was intimidation, when you got through that, and figured you would take him, a lot of times you did all right.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bill1234 said:
Holmes said Shavers hit harder. He also said Cooney hit harder. Tyson may have beaten Larry up more, but Larry also took a lot more bombs before going down. It was taking 4-5 of Tyson's hardest money shots before Larry went down, and the one he even went down from the help of a push. Larry wasn't out cold after the last knock down, he was telling Richie to get the people off of him. IMO Cortez overreacted. Calling doctors in and all. OMG Larry just got dropped! Lets call the doctors and stuff in! He must be dead! :eek:

Tyson dropped most people with his combo's, and perfect timing and precision. A lot of guys that fought Tyson said they thought he would hit harder. 1/2 of Tyson's game was intimidation, when you got through that, and figured you would take him, a lot of times you did all right.
I'm just trying to justify ranking Tyson a bit higher than I currently have him. :laugh:

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
IMO Cortez overreacted. Calling doctors in and all. OMG Larry just got dropped! Lets call the doctors and stuff in! He must be dead! :eek:
Bill, I think we went over this several times already. Cortez made the right decision and everyone BUT you would agree.

Just look for yourself. If Cortez would have let it go and Holmes got up, which I doubt he would have, people would have said, why didn't Cortez stop it sooner, now Holmes is either Dead or in a very bad way.

YouTube - Mike Tyson V Larry Holmes

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hhascup said:
Bill, I think we went over this several times already. Cortez made the right decision and everyone BUT you would agree.

Just look for yourself. If Cortez would have let it go and Holmes got up, which I doubt he would have, people would have said, why didn't Cortez stop it sooner, now Holmes is either Dead or in a very bad way.

I agree with it being stopped. I'm not bad mouthing Holmes with that either. Holmes was obviously great, but I don't think he stood a chance in that fight - so, for Holmes' own sake, it should have been stopped, IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:

Tyson didn't have the power to "kill". He had the power to drop with combo's and with accuracy, he hardly ever knocked someone out cold.

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
Tyson didn't have the power to "kill". He had the power to drop with combo's and with accuracy, he hardly ever knocked someone out cold.

If Holmes got up and continued Tyson would have seriously injured Larry. For the 1,000th time, Cortez made the right decision by stopping it when he did.

Tyson had the power to take anyone out, some if not most of the boxing experts rate him right up with the hardest hitters of all-times. He had 22 (23 if you count McNeeley) which is among the Top 6 Boxers of All-Time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hhascup said:
If Holmes got up and continued Tyson would have seriously injured Larry. For the 1,000th time, Cortez made the right decision by stopping it when he did.

Tyson had the power to take anyone out, some if not most of the boxing experts rate him right up with the hardest hitters of all-times. He had 22 (23 if you count McNeeley) which is among the Top 6 Boxers of All-Time.
I really think Holmes was out - just look at him when he hit the canvas. It may have been for just a second or two, but if the fight would have been allowed to continue, Tyson would have just done more damage.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:

Ok, but 90% of those were ombo's and multiple knoock downs, thats not power that kills.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Tyson could knock everyone out if he connected and i honestly think thats the truth. Yes sometimes it took multiple knockouts but thats usually because they were early in the fights if you see his knockouts wich were later in fights were fighters were tired you can see he really had amazing power.

Just look at george foreman he imo is the hardest puncher of all time but still most of hist kockouts were not kncokout after one punch.

And ofc Holmes says Shavers hits harder Tyson humiliated him while he won Shavers twice, makes him look better when he says Shavers hits harder.

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
Ok, but 90% of those were ombo's and multiple knoock downs, thats not power that kills.
All you have to do is watch his bouts on youtube or any other highlights on his knockouts. If he fought years ago, he would have killed because fights weren't stopped as they are today.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Brutus said:
Tyson could knock everyone out if he connected and i honestly think thats the truth. Yes sometimes it took multiple knockouts but thats usually because they were early in the fights if you see his knockouts wich were later in fights were fighters were tired you can see he really had amazing power.

Just look at george foreman he imo is the hardest puncher of all time but still most of hist kockouts were not kncokout after one punch.

And ofc Holmes says Shavers hits harder Tyson humiliated him while he won Shavers twice, makes him look better when he says Shavers hits harder.
Ali said Shavers hit harder than Foreman, and said he was the hardest puncher he ever fought. If anything, Holmes would boost Tyson up, to make it seem he did better. Tyson didn't humiliate anyone. It took him 4 rounds to beat a terrible version of Holmes, almost the worst.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bill1234 said:
Ali said Shavers hit harder than Foreman, and said he was the hardest puncher he ever fought. If anything, Holmes would boost Tyson up, to make it seem he did better. Tyson didn't humiliate anyone. It took him 4 rounds to beat a terrible version of Holmes, almost the worst.

If Holmes said he could've gotten up after that last Tyson combination, I'm willing to take his word for it!! Holmes knew how much he could take much more so than the rest of us, and Bill has likely talked with the man about it.

I'll just say, Holmes didn't look like himself in that fight.

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
He wasn't him self that night. He was 4/10 of his prime self.

Hey, I rate Holmes very high, BUT Tyson would have really injured him if he would have continued. No fighter would say that he couldn't get up.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:
Hey, I rate Holmes very high, BUT Tyson would have really injured him if he would have continued. No fighter would say that he couldn't get up.
I know, but Holmes was ALWAYS honest. He has kept to what he said since the 70's, didn't even change his stories a little bit. He admits that he forgot he was past his prime when he signed to fight Tyson, and that he realised a little before the fight that he wasn't even close ot being ready. The most Tyson would have done was break Larry's nose, crack a few ribs, or break his jaw. Thats pretty much the extent to Tyson's damage.

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
The most Tyson would have done was break Larry's nose, crack a few ribs, or break his jaw. Thats pretty much the extent to Tyson's damage.
Wouldn't that be enough ?

I still say that if Holmes somehow went on, he would have been seriously hurt, and I wouldn't want to see that.

Remember that was the 3rd time Tyson put him down in that round.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Remember the first was assisted by a small push, and the 2nd was from backing up and being off balance. He was on the mat a total of 7 seconds until the 3rd knockdown which was about 45 seconds after the 2nd.

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
Remember the first was assisted by a small push, and the 2nd was from backing up and being off balance. He was on the mat a total of 7 seconds until the 3rd knockdown which was about 45 seconds after the 2nd.

Bill, like I stated many times before, Your the only one that thinks this bout should have continued. I thought you liked Larry, But if you keep saying that, I have my doubts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
First arguing the Tyson couldnt kill a fighter is stupid and ridiculous. I doubt any fighter as the ability to 1 punch kill a fighter. If you know anything about boxing brain injury's 99% of the time its from many punches. Vic Darchinian for example. If you think he has the power to 1 hit kill a man, your wrong. BUT he did put one of his opponents in a COMA from 11 (or was it 12) round as complete punishment.

The fight was stopped when it should have been stopped. Im not saying that Tyson had tons of power and im not saying Tyson WOULD have killed him. I'm just saying, even if you let Paulie Malinaggia pound on a guy's face for 12 rounds, it *CAN* kill him.

-melty

1 - 20 of 37 Posts