Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyson heckles former UFC champ in boxing match

There is always talk about boxers fighting MMA guys and vice versa or guys switching sports. In this case, last week in Las Vegas, former UFC heavyweight champ Ricco Rodriguez competed in a pro boxing match. He lost a four-round decision to Chad Davis, who had a record of 0-1.

Ricco's only other pro boxing match came in October of 2006 when he knocked out a guy name Brandon Baker. In the world of MMA, he has a record of 29-9. Rodriguez beat Randy Couture at UFC 39 in 2002 to become heavyweight champion. In 2007, he lost a decision to Ben Rothwell in the IFL world championship finals.

According to a report in the Las Vegas Sun, Rodriguez had Xtreme Couture boxing coach Ron Frazier in his corner and wore a pair of trunks with a Throwdown logo on them. Mike Tyson was in attendance and made fun of the fight:

“Are you going to throw some punches or what?” he asked in the first round.

And later in the bout, Tyson said, “Come on, try to hurt each other.”-- CASSIDY.

LMAO, lesson to MMA fighters dont **** with boxing. This is why I wanted to see RJJ against Anderson Silva, even being past his prime, Roy would destroy their #1 P4P fighter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
MMA Vs boxing is stupid, sure boxers will win most times in a boxing match, and MMA guys would win most times in MMA fight. Its apples and oranges.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I like it when the ancient, fat boxers that don't care anymore go into MMA, and lose by like a decision or choke, then all of the MMA people try to tell us how a prime great boxer just lost and that proves that MMA is better.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts

There is always talk about boxers fighting MMA guys and vice versa or guys switching sports. In this case, last week in Las Vegas, former UFC heavyweight champ Ricco Rodriguez competed in a pro boxing match. He lost a four-round decision to Chad Davis, who had a record of 0-1.

Ricco's only other pro boxing match came in October of 2006 when he knocked out a guy name Brandon Baker. In the world of MMA, he has a record of 29-9. Rodriguez beat Randy Couture at UFC 39 in 2002 to become heavyweight champion. In 2007, he lost a decision to Ben Rothwell in the IFL world championship finals.

According to a report in the Las Vegas Sun, Rodriguez had Xtreme Couture boxing coach Ron Frazier in his corner and wore a pair of trunks with a Throwdown logo on them. Mike Tyson was in attendance and made fun of the fight:

And later in the bout, Tyson said, “Come on, try to hurt each other.”-- CASSIDY.

LMAO, lesson to MMA fighters dont **** with boxing. This is why I wanted to see RJJ against Anderson Silva, even being past his prime, Roy would destroy their #1 P4P fighter.
I think their #1 p4p fighter is Fedor Emelianenko, not Silva.

Anyways, an MMA fighter comming to boxing is the same as a lawyer or a phisician comming to bboxing, they dont know nothing about the game and their chances arent good without amateur background.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not feeling the direction this thread went. I could only feel the hate from Bill. A Former UFC Heavyweight champ who isnt shot or faded, lost to an 0-1 heavyweight, while Tyson heckled the shitt out of them. Lets try this again, shall we.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Fukk UFSHE cavemen, no skill and its not even a sport.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
UFC doesn't even have skill. The fights look like two drunk guys coming out of a pub on Saturday night :laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
UFC doesn't even have skill. The fights look like two drunk gay guys coming out of a pub on Saturday night :laugh:
I fixed your post buddy. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts

RJJ vs Anderson Silva. Under boxing rules , no doubt RJJ would eat him alive.

However , i don't see how significant Ricco Rodriguez is in the equation. Ricco isn't even ranked in the hw MMA division. He hasn't been ranked for years actually.
Ex-drug addict , he's a shadow of his former self. He's extremely fat compared to his prime years.

Not to mention , Ricco Rodriguez ain't a striker. He's not even concicered to be a "decent" striker even by mma standards.

When he used to be at the top , it was mainly due to his greco wrestling and submission skills. Certainly not his boxing technic.

There's guys newcomers in mma who've only been particing some basics in boxing for weeks and who already look way better than ricco ever did in his entire career.

Ricco was an A+ fighter on the ground because his of solid wrestling control. (but again , that was years ago). His loss against a can in boxing is no real indication of anything. Ricco struggles against c level fighters and even lost against a monumental can in his own sport.

the definition of a has been.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like it when the ancient, fat boxers that don't care anymore go into MMA, and lose by like a decision or choke, then all of the MMA people try to tell us how a prime great boxer just lost and that proves that MMA is better.:laugh:
This ricco incident reminds me of Ray Mercer's fight against a bum (who had no experience in pro mma prior to his fight vs Mercer). Even Mercer at his age , is in better shape than Ricco Rodriguez (who's past drug episodes and serious weight problems ruined his career in his own sport).

That bum was Kimbo Slice , you can watch the fight on youtube , here's a link. It took kimbo a few seconds to submit Mercer.

YouTube - Kimbo Slice vs. Ray Mercer (FULL FIGHT)

Ironically , Kimbo is probably the most famous mma fighter (even though he's not even ranked in the hw division) but people like him. I guess it's because of his street fight videos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think their #1 p4p fighter is Fedor Emelianenko, not Silva.

Anyways, an MMA fighter comming to boxing is the same as a lawyer or a phisician comming to bboxing, they dont know nothing about the game and their chances arent good without amateur background.
Anderson Silva is part of the P4P top 5.
Fedor Emelianenko is P4P best + concidered as the best in the sport. (the goat).

True , mma fighters should stick to their own specialties since it's what they do best. Most of these guys enter the mma scene with jiujitsu , judo , greco wrestling background...and not much else. the striking is basic. Although , there are a few exceptions and truely talented strikers but they're rare. (and it's not really a problem since to become a champion in this sport , you imperatively have to have a super solid sub defense and offense & perfect ground control)...

All of mma's P4P fighters have this in common.
BJ Penn (amazing on the ground) , Nogueira (same) , fedor , anderson , kid yamamoto , gsp...all are top notch and extremely hard to dominate on the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fukk UFSHE cavemen, no skill and its not even a sport.
On the contrary. Some participants even have solid credentials and won silver or gold medals in the olympic games. (in judo & wrestling). Then , they put to the test these technics under mma rules.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
This ricco incident reminds me of Ray Mercer's fight against a bum (who had no experience in pro mma prior to his fight vs Mercer). Even Mercer at his age , is in better shape than Ricco Rodriguez (who's past drug episodes and serious weight problems ruined his career in his own sport).

That bum was Kimbo Slice , you can watch the fight on youtube , here's a link. It took kimbo a few seconds to submit Mercer.

YouTube - Kimbo Slice vs. Ray Mercer (FULL FIGHT)

Ironically , Kimbo is probably the most famous mma fighter (even though he's not even ranked in the hw division) but people like him. I guess it's because of his street fight videos.
i remember when i first discovered you tube and searched for street fight. i never seen a site that had all kinds of videos and i was like wow. i saw kimbo slice and my friend told me of a story of one black guy fighting another in a garden. he said they were both huge and the taller one was standing toe to toe and said come on hit me i wont move. that was kimbo and the other guy did punch him and he didn't flinch lol. i aint gonna say i like him, but it's pretty cool that a gu from the internet has made it in some way as a professional. plus he seems really down to earth

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
On the contrary. Some participants even have solid credentials and won silver or gold medals in the olympic games. (in judo & wrestling). Then , they put to the test these technics under mma rules.
tbh there is no doubt that soem mma people are really good at ju jitsu, muythai, kick boxing etc. but we are boxing fans and most do not like thwe ufc etc.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another pointless thread, top American football players couldn't just switch to top level association football and vice versa. Different sports are different sports.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts