ANDERSON ?THE SPIDER? SILVA vs. RICH ?ACE? FRANKLIN
HEAVYWEIGHT FEATURE
TIM ?THE MAINE-IAC? SYLVIA vs. BRANDON ?THE TRUTH? VERA
At THE VILLAGE POURHOUSE
64 Third Avenue (corner of 11th street)
New York, NY 10001
$15 cover and cash bar or
$50 VIP bracelet includes 3 hour open bar and appetizer buffet

Want to see the blood, sweat and tears of the best mixed martial art fighters in the world? Showing on our 21 HD TV screens, join us for a night of fierce action.

212.979.2337 x 8002 [email protected] nning.com

To purchase tickets please click here:

http://www.etix.c...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like you need a hand:

UFC 77: OCTOBER 20, 2007 IN CINCINNATI, OHIO
venue: U.S. Bank Arena

Main Card Bouts:
-Anderson Silva (#1 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Rich Franklin (#4 Middleweight in the World)*
-Tim Sylvia (#6 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Brandon Vera
-Kalib Starnes vs. Alan Belcher
-Eric Schafer vs. Stephan Bonnar

Preliminary Bouts:
-Yushin Okami (#10 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Jason MacDonald
-Josh Burkman vs. Forrest Petz
-Jason Black vs. Matt Grice
-Jorge Gurgel vs. Alvin Robinson
-Demian Maia vs. Ryan Jensen

United States PPV suggested retail price: $39.95

* Based on MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This is one I wouldn't watch for free. I absolutely hate Rich Franklin. Juan Diaz fights Julio Diaz for free on HBO staurday night!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I never understand anyone hating Rich Franklin. The guy fights hard, has more of a stand up fighting style, is educated, is respectful, and has skills. I would think that Rich is the type of guy that people would get behind more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is going to be, IMO a great PPV.

Here are my predictions

-Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin= Anderson Silva by 2nd round TKO or 4th round submission (Triangle Choke)

-Brandon Vera vs. Tim Sylvia= Brandon Vera by 2nd round TKO. **On a side note, if Tim comes in hungry, Vera will be in BIG trouble but I don't see Tim winning

-Starnes vs. Belcher= Belcher via Unanimous Decision

-Eric Schafer vs. Stephen Bonnar= Bonnar via 2nd round Submission via RNC or Unanimous Decision

-Yushin Okami vs. Jason Macdonald= Yushin Okami via TKO Ground and Pound Round 3
(Why the F is this a prelim bout?, this sould be a main bout)

-Burkman via Unanimous Decision

I don't care about the rest

·
Registered
397 Posts
JohnnySparta said:
I never understand anyone hating Rich Franklin. The guy fights hard, has more of a stand up fighting style, is educated, is respectful, and has skills. I would think that Rich is the type of guy that people would get behind more.
I agree. Rich is a really nice guy. I met him at UFC 56. But his stand-up is waay behind Andersons

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I dont like Franklin cause hes so overrated. People ranked him as one of the best in the world and his most impressive win was against Evan Tanner ffs. Then we have wins over Lousiue or whatever and Nate Quarry. Silva will school him again.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
JohnnySparta said:
I don't know anything about him. I just watched him fight (I think) about a year ago in the most boring UFC fight I have ever watched. It was either him or Matt Hughes. I get those two confused.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't think it will be a boring fight Silva throws pin point accurate jabs and presses forward so no circle jerk chasing each other.

I do expect it to be a short fight

There's not one area Franklin is better than Silva

Silva - Better striking
- BJJ black belt, better grappling
- Size - taller than Franklin and probably weighs the same
- Clinch - see last fight where he kneed Franklin in the nose and moved it 2 inches across his face.
- Ground and pound - see BJJ black belt and better grappler.

If Franklin wins it will be from shooting a double leg take down and ground and pound but I don't see that happening

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well Franklin imo has better wrestling but when he shoots for that double leg takedown he will get kneed in the face.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Brutus said:
I dont like Franklin cause hes so overrated. People ranked him as one of the best in the world and his most impressive win was against Evan Tanner ffs. Then we have wins over Lousiue or whatever and Nate Quarry. Silva will school him again.
So you dislike a great fighter whom is a perfect ambassador for the Sport because some people overrate him? That doesn't make much sense to me... :dunno:

I think Rich will lose to Anderson as it is a bad style match up for him. Rich likes to throw down with Boxing but Silva is just way too slick with his Muay Thai. If Rich wins be might be able to outbox Silva if he can keep his distance, but in order to that he must not only keep his distance but will have to keep Silva thinking about possible takedown attempts as well, to keep his stand up game off pace. Or, he may just go for the Takedown and GnP to give that a shot. Silva's got good ground, but it's still his weakest area.

As far as Rich's past fights and being overrated. Evan Tanner (32-6) is/was a great fighter and Rich dominated him twice. Rich also edged out Okami (20-4), and Okami is a stud. The thing about Rich is that he sometimes seems too one-dimensional. He's not, but his fighting strategy usually is too one dimension. The good part of it is that he's very good on his feet and has very good grappling, yet when he encounters someone better than him on the feet, he keeps trying on the feet rather than mixing it up like Couture does. Perhaps he has learned after the first Silva fight. Perhaps not. I think Rich matches up much better with someone like Tanner, Henderson, etc than Silva, even if the former two can beat Silva themselves.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Henderson would pull Franklin's arms off and beat him to death with them.

Once Henderson stops dicking around with light heavy weight and fights at 185 the belt will be his.

·
Registered
326 Posts
goju-joe said:
Henderson would pull Franklin's arms off and beat him to death with them.

Once Henderson stops dicking around with light heavy weight and fights at 185 the belt will be his.
I'm not convinced. Henderson was outboxed by Misaki. Franklin is better than Misaki. If Hendo used the same strategy against Franklin he would surely lose unless he lands a big shot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
JohnnySparta said:
I'm not convinced. Henderson was outboxed by Misaki. Franklin is better than Misaki. If Hendo used the same strategy against Franklin he would surely lose unless he lands a big shot.

Hendo is an Olympic level wrestler (he also out struck Wanderlei) anyways I can't see Franklin stopping his take down or surviving on the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts