Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a post fight interview last night. Anderson silva 21-4-0, came off his 6th straight win in the UFC against Dan Henderson a widely regaurded opponent who many thought would be his biggest test, and was submitted in the second round.

Anderson is believed by many to be the best overall striker in MMA. Technicality, Working Angles, Power, Speed, Accuracy and a solid chin.

Anderson stated in his post fight interview he would like to challenge a 185lbs boxing champion to a bout under boxing rules.

He stated that most people in boxing don't feel that they are good enough to compete at their level and that MMA is not a very noble sport and that MMA fighters aren't technical enough and Silva would like to prove them otherwise.

YouTube - My favorite Anderson Silva HL

I'm not sure who that champion would be. Calzaghe or Pavlik I believe.

Thoughts?

***Keep flaming to a minimum and keep the discussions civil. I don't want this to turn into a boxing vs. mma war.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Well there is the 175lbs Light-Heavyweight division, then 200lbs Cruiserweight so 185 is kind of stuck between weights there. I wouldnt expect Anderson Silva to fair well against a boxing champion at all, and it works both ways because i wouldnt expect a boxer to do anything against an MMA champion.

BTW Southpaw, you were very negative about a boxing bout the other week, did you catch Marquez-Vazquez III last night?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well there is the 175lbs Light-Heavyweight division, then 200lbs Cruiserweight so 185 is kind of stuck between weights there. I wouldnt expect Anderson Silva to fair well against a boxing champion at all, and it works both ways because i wouldnt expect a boxer to do anything against an MMA champion.

BTW Southpaw, you were very negative about a boxing bout the other week, did you catch Marquez-Vazquez III last night?
I saw it. It was war. Great end to the trilogy.

I'm also kind of up in the air about what would happen to SIlva. But I don't think he'd get owned and I admire him for issuing the challenge. If they could cross promote this fight they would make huge amounts of money and do a lot of good things for both sports.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I saw it. It was war. Great end to the trilogy.

I'm also kind of up in the air about what would happen to SIlva. But I don't think he'd get owned and I admire him for issuing the challenge. If they could cross promote this fight they would make huge amounts of money and do a lot of good things for both sports.
Vasquez-Marquez isn't over yet.

Silva is wanting to fight a weight that doesn't exist. Pavlik is 160. Calzaghe is now 175. I would LOVE to see Hopkins beat him down. What a clinic that would be.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Silva wants RJ? :laugh:

This guy is deluded, Roy would make him look like a clown.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Prime Roy would ko silva in one round. Im sure roy would still toy with him. However i think silva is just talking, he just wants a big money fight because he isnt getting them in the mma.
That would be the only reason, his reputation would be destroyed if he faced a top l;evel boxer but his bank balance would have a lot of zero's on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think he named an opponent. Just a champion in or near his weight class
Here is the actual quote.

"Maybe after this fight," says Silva, who if he beats Henderson will pretty much have cleaned out the UFC's middleweight division. "I'll challenge whoever is the champion [in my weight range] in boxing."

Or, if not a champion, perhaps the boxer he respects and admires the most, Roy Jones, Jr.

A joke? Well, according to Soares, maybe not.

"Anything is possible," Soares says. "At the end of the day, that's a fight that would sell to both markets [boxing and MMA], so why not do it? Let's find a promoter that will put up the money, and lets do it! And we fight him in boxing, not MMA. His rules."

Would Silva, who has one professional boxing bout on his record (a knockout victory in the second round), stand a chance against one of boxing's all-time best? Over the hill or not?

Well, he submitted a jiu-jitsu black belt in Travis Lutter (Pictures), one of the best ground guys in the UFC. He outmuscled Rich Franklin (Pictures), who was supposedly the strongest fighter in the middleweight division, and he outgunned Nate Marquardt, one of the most skilled fighters in the sport.

It would have to be soon, though, since Jones is on his way out as a boxer and Silva says he plans on fighting for only three more years.

Then perhaps Silva could dedicate himself to his favorite downtime activity: playing video games. It's a hobby that surely keeps Soares at ease and is another testament of how Silva is truly like Tom Hanks in the movie "Big."

"It definitely could be worse," says Soares.

The fighter loves playing video games so much that at a Maxim-promoted event, he once shunned a chance to meet Michael Jackson just to play some of the games that were being displayed at the party. Silva, who does not drink or smoke, will also endorse a new Tom Clancy game on his fight shorts in his title defense in Columbus, Ohio.

Fighting is clearly Silva's first love, and his jiu-jitsu coach, Giorge Martins, says the UFC champion is an even better trainer than mixed martial artist. Believable given the fact that one of Silva's current understudies, Rafael Feijao, won in spectacular fashion on the Kimbo vs. Tank EliteXC card and is beginning to make some serious noise in the light heavyweight division.

Or maybe if he's out there, Silva could take on the only other fighter he's dared to call out.

Who?

"My clone," he says with a confident smile.
I cut off some of it because it talked about mma and wasn't sure if ya'll wanted to read through that part.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts