Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dana White Nixes Anderson Silva - Roy Jones Jr. - FightLine.com

UFC president Dana White has stated, in no uncertain terms, that is no way that there will be a boxing rules match up between Roy Jones Jr. and UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. The news comes courtesy of Dave Meltzer.
Silva called Jones out after defeating Dan Henderson recently at UFC 82. He is currently riding a seven fight win streak in which he faced two world champions and basically cleaned out the UFC middleweight division. Rumors have Silva possibly facing Yushin Okami, the last man to defeat him.
This is a good move by Dana IMO. Dana, being a former amatuer Boxer and Manager himself should know as much as anyone that Anderson Silva's chances against RJJ in a strict Boxing Match is suicide. RJJ has at least 8 years more experience in the ring than Silva when it comes to Boxing.

Now... if they did K-1 rules, with kicks and knees being added in... that might make more sense. But strict Boxing rules... Anderson Silva should no sooner do that than RJJ shoudl fight Silva under MMA rules.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yes, this is true. Which is why for the same amount of money paid to him, RJJ would turn down a MMA or K-1 fight but would have accepted a Boxing fight.
I'm with you but the difference is boxing has nothing to lose and UFC is still growing and has everything to lose. Plus who isn't going to tell RJJ not to fight MMA? I don't think anyone would really argue that a boxer wouldn't last in a MMA ring but every UFC fan out there thinks the guys in the UFC can hang in a boxing ring.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Then people need to stop saying mma and ufc are bigger than boxing. They never will be. The difference between this is dana white is trying to protect his company, no one would try to stop rj from competing in an mma fight. I say let the men decide what they want to do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think anyone would really argue that a boxer wouldn't last in a MMA ring but every UFC fan out there thinks the guys in the UFC can hang in a boxing ring.
Then those MMA fans are idiots. Every sport has idiots.

Then people need to stop saying mma and ufc are bigger than boxing. They never will be.
I don't know how you can say it will never be that big. I mean, on average (per event) it's already outgrossing the average Boxing event in PPV sales. The mega stars like DLH, RJJ, PBF can generally pull more PPV sales than the best MMA, but on average they aren't selling more. And total PPV gross per year is nearly identicle.

So to say "never" when MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world seems a bit premature. And saying this, I am not making a knock on Boxing, you guys should know I wouldn't do that, but it is merely looking at the numbers and saying it's not a wise statement to suggest never.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Then people need to stop saying mma and ufc are bigger than boxing. They never will be. The difference between this is dana white is trying to protect his company, no one would try to stop rj from competing in an mma fight. I say let the men decide what they want to do.
Your right nobody is stopping Roy from fighting in MMA, but this probably is.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RJJ comments on Dana White's refusal 2 let the Anderson Silva Boxing match go forward

Roy Jones Jr on Anderson Silva fight that won’t happen at UFC blog for UFC news, results, videos, rumors, fights, pics and tickets — MMAmania.com

“I don’t see how it could discredit the UFC. The guy has boxed before and he’s a tall, slick, left handed fighter. That gives everybody problems. It would be a good fight. As fighters we’re supposed to be trying to do things that amaze people and make history. This could have been something that people really wanted to see. I just think it’s wrong not to allow him (Silva) to get the opportunity to live out his fantasy to be in the ring with one of his heroes. That’s the kind of thing that boxing promoters usually do…. If I had a high school wrestling background, I’d be willing to try that stuff (mixed martial arts. But I’m lost on the ground…. He’s got a lot of heart and I have nothing but respect for him for wanting to take on the best in boxing.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts