Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope I'm in the right place, I really just need information.
My father was a boxer in the Army, I know he inlisted in 1941, and then in 1944,switched to air force, he then went Italy 15th airforce. So his boxing days had to have been in 41-42or 43. I only have 1 picture of him in the ring. He won the championship for I think welterweight, in the Army. We have a gold watch, given to him,it in engraved, and is from General Joe Stilwell. I also have a newpaper article, it is a interview with Stilwell, in which he states that my Dad was one of the most clever fighters in the ring. It also says that my father defeated hall of famer Chalky Wright. I know he was at Fort Ord Ca. for a while I need to know where to look for army bouts and titles. We no longer have his blue robe that had the division numbers on it. I was 15 yrs when he passed away, and I dont remember what it said on the robe. My father had gym set up in our garage, he never boxed again, after the war he was shot down and a pow in romainia, and had a severe limp, but he still did the speed bad and large punching bag, for many years. He loved boxing, when he died, in his wallet were 2 phone numbers, one for Archie Moore, the other was Max Baer. Where do I look?
Thank you
Renee-rb2476

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His Name Was Louie Cimpanelli. I Would Like To Know Also If Stilwell Gave All The Title Winners In Army Watches Or If This Is One Of A Kind? The Watch Is Very Unique.

Thanks
Renee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure Is, Thats My Dad, I Sent That Picture To The 376th, When I Was Searching,for The Other Members Of His Crew And His Bombing Missions. He Left A Hand Written List Of All The Missions He Flew And I Have Several Pictures. My Dad Was The Ball Turret Gunner, Many Of The Veterans, Helped Me With The Research. He Was In The Army When He Did The Boxing, Prior To Going Into The 15th Airforce. I Have An 8 By 10 Of Him In The Ring, Mixing It Up, But It Doesn't Say Were It Was Taken, Gr The Other Guys Name.
Renee

·
Registered
1 Posts
i too am looking for information regarding my grandfather, percy (or pip) blount, who was an army champion i think during the 50's? he fought the final in berlin against a russian olypic winner and won. where ius the best place to find information? any advice would be great. thanks, emma

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
i too am looking for information regarding my grandfather, percy (or pip) blount, who was an army champion i think during the 50's? he fought the final in berlin against a russian olypic winner and won. where ius the best place to find information? any advice would be great. thanks, emma
Did he ever go pro?

·
Registered
1 Posts
US Army Korean War Boxer

I have heard that my father was a boxer in the Army during the Korean War, in the 1948-49 time frame. This looks like a good forum to try to locate any info. His name was John Leroy Garnes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Despite a busy fight schedule, title bouts for Robinson were increasingly sparse due to a dearth of contenders. After a title defense against Bernard Docusen in June 1948 and a July 1949 defense against Kid Gavilan, Robinson gained weight and moved into middleweight contention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts