Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

A press conference to announce the showdown between Fernando Vargas and Ricardo Mayorga erupted in violence today at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, CA. Don King and Kathy Duva of Main Events were present to announce the bout, which will headline a stellar card that is set to take place on Saturday, September 8th. After both spoke about the anticipation of the bout, which will be held at a catch-weight of 162 pounds, Mayorga took to the dais and began to rant about Vargas being past his prime and how he would knock him out. Mayorga then went on to say he would be doing a favor to Vargas' family by sending Vargas into retirement, which prompted Vargas to stand up. Despite Duva sitting between the two, Mayorga proceeded to smack Vargas across the face, which led to Vargas throwing and landing two right hands to the head. Numerous people rushed the stage in the chaotic brawl that saw Mayorga cut on the cheek and Vargas with a cut on his hand. Both fighters screamed towards one another until Mayorga was led to another room. Vargas has stated that this will be the final bout of his professional career, regardless of the outcome. Mayorga stated that after he defeats Vargas, he will drop down to welterweight and challenge any of the titleholders in that division.
Mayorga: I will do Vargas a favor by retiring him in this fight so his family doesn’t have to suffer every time he steps in the ring. I’m going to do your wife a favor and not let her cry anymore after I disfigure you.
Vargas: Mayorga can disrespect me all he wants but not my queens [his mother, wife and daughter].

source : fightnews.com

I didnt see this anywhere but if this is here somewhere just delete it.

But wow :O i wonder if this fight will happen remember what happened when Lewis and Tyson got into a fight? I hope that wont be the case in this one. Hehe those Latin guys got some temper i tell you if you say something about theire family your getting into a fight and i think Mayorga knew that ^^

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hell ya! This is what I like to see! Not so much the s__t talking. But two guys that don't like each other. That usually makes for a good fight. Especially with Mayorga!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Mayorga is good at making his opponent hate him. usually taht doesnt end to well for him tho ^^ poor guy has taken some beating over the years (and ofc given some aswell :D)

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
This should be a war. Brings back memories of Barrera-Morales, and look what happened there:p This should be a short but memorable fight IMO i think Mayorga will take him out. Funny to hear him talking about stepping to 147 to challenge the champions... i doubt hel get a shot at Floyd, Cotto, Williams/Marg so i dno what he plans to do...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Fair play the matchmakers have got this one right.
Ok both fighters have seen better days but both will be ready for a tear-up.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i saw it on espn news, that was awesome. Now that is how you hype a ppv fight. I will defienntly be buying even though it has no signficance. Going to be an all out war. Mayorga knocks him out though.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Brutus said:
Yeah Mayorga is good at making his opponent hate him. usually taht doesnt end to well for him tho ^^ poor guy has taken some beating over the years (and ofc given some aswell :D)
brutus, vargas aint bad at the trash talk himsel!!

vargas takes the win here in a fight id bet my life on being a FOTY.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
both have amazing chins when they can see the punches coming, neither are extremely fast with their hands so they will see alot of them. Both are free swingers, both have great power, both are at their most *********comfortable*****weight. I'd put money on fight of th eyear too, and i see the winner possibly getting one more title shot. as hard as that is to believe, you better believe it in boxing, aka judah.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
TysonJones said:
both have amazing chins when they can see the punches coming, neither are extremely fast with their hands so they will see alot of them. Both are free swingers, both have great power, both are at their most *********comfortable*****weight. I'd put money on fight of th eyear too, and i see the winner possibly getting one more title shot. as hard as that is to believe, you better believe it in boxing, aka judah.:thumbsup:
apart from the second SSM fight vargas should be right in contension for a shot at anyone with a title (154/160) he is that good.

i think we can all agree that fernando was touch and go with shane in the first fight, the second he was slow sucked and burned at the weight.

i see a very strong nando comming out against the mouth, vargas is a great fighter. whether anyone likes it or not!!!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i agree for the most part, vargas will always be a thread, and he's still in his 20's barely. If it werent for his back problems , he would still be awesoem to watch and could possibly beat delahoya at this stage of his career. i think maryorga is always a threat because of his power and chin. He gets beat by well well skilled boxers and gusy with power but vargas is not at the level of delahoy,trinidad and spinks and the time they fought mayorga. Vargas is at the same level i believe mayorga is at this time and it should be aweomse and the winner should get another title shot. i'd like to see mayorga/spinks II. or vargas/trinidad II.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
TysonJones said:
i agree for the most part, vargas will always be a thread, and he's still in his 20's barely. If it werent for his back problems , he would still be awesoem to watch and could possibly beat delahoya at this stage of his career. i think maryorga is always a threat because of his power and chin. He gets beat by well well skilled boxers and gusy with power but vargas is not at the level of delahoy,trinidad and spinks and the time they fought mayorga. Vargas is at the same level i believe mayorga is at this time and it should be aweomse and the winner should get another title shot. i'd like to see mayorga/spinks II. or vargas/trinidad II.
hey lance.

vargas when he choses to box is an absolutely exellant technision, he has skill's to rival the best in the game, anyone with wins over quartey and winky deserve super props.

and yes guys, im a huge vargas fan!! :D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I think I'll go Vargas in this one. If you don't get in a slug fest with Mayorga he is easy to beat!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
I think I'll go Vargas in this one. If you don't get in a slug fest with Mayorga he is easy to beat!
exactly!!

anyone even hovering close to A-level should run rings round the mouth!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
tommygunn said:
exactly!!

anyone even hovering close to A-level should run rings round the mouth!
I think that is why he pulls all the crap that he does. To piss everyone off to try to get them to brawl. THat is how he beat Forest.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
I think that is why he pulls all the crap that he does. To piss everyone off to try to get them to brawl. THat is how he beat Forest.
YIP, vernon well and trully fell into that trap, i just couldn't beleive he done it twice. :D

if they fought again id still pick vernon to win 120-108, he's better in every department except the head. LOL

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
he did the same against 6 heads lewis as well. i agree tommy, any a level boxer would beat mayorga. and vargas has always been a boxer with an awesome left hook. He alot like delahoya in style, just physically bigger but i dont know if he is as smart as delahoya. the vargas of 3 years ago, iw oudl choose to beat mayorga, but i dont think he has it in him anymore becasue of his back alone. I myself have suffered from back problems my whoel career because of an injury during weightlifting and it affects me everytime i attempt to step in the ring again. Without the back problem, i give him a hellava chance but am i the only one who think mayorga did pretty dang good against trinidad.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i cant wait to see the odds on this fight. both have lost their last fight. Both are still championship caliber. I wouldnt knwo who the books would favor. Both have got beat by the same guys. Im taking mayorga.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts