Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

After three "fight of the year" battles, WBC super bantamweight champion Israel Vazquez and former champion Rafael Marquez are in talks to do it one more time.

The first bout, last March, saw Marquez move up in weight to stop Vazquez in a seven-round war to win the title. Vazquez suffered a broken nose in the fight, and his inability to properly breath forced him to quit after seven. A few months later in August, Vazquez got revenge by stopping Marquez in six to recapture his title.

This past March, the two put it all on the table in their third meeting. They exchanged punches, knockdowns and blood splatters for twelve close rounds. In the end, Vazquez won a close split decision to win the trilogy. The third meeting was decided by a single point coming from a 113-112 scorecard in favor of Vazquez, while the the other two were 114-111 for each fighter.

Because the first three fights were so popular and both fighters are willing to do it again, a fourth meeting is currently in talks. The Los Angeles Times spoke with Jaime Quintana, manager of Marquez, who confirmed the ongoing talks.

Quintana said the Home Depot Center is the possible venue to host the fight. There is no word on whether or not each fighter will take a tuneup or head straight into the fourth meeting. Quintana told the paper that the biggest obstacle at the moment is getting both fighters to agree on the date. Marquez is ready to fight in November or December, but Vazquez wants to return to action in January or February of next year.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to see this and i hope Marquez wins, just so we can see a 5th fight too. :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
why would anyone object to this fight. it's the best that boxing has to offer. ppv is fine with me on this one. we all kno it'll be up for foty like the others.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Agree 100% Shane, Vazquez tko rd 9

He is too big, too strong and he doesnt fade in the last rounds like Marquez.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hell yeah. i just hope hbo or showtime steps up and shows these 2 warriors the money. no one deserves it more than these 2, man!
Correct, both guys deserve an 8 figure sum for this fight.

10m at least.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The best part is where they said the Home Depot Center is the most likely venue. Hell yeah! Me and Violent went to fight 3. I know we'll go to number 4

1 - 20 of 31 Posts