Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start boxing, but I wear contacts and my vision without them is not very good. I don't exactly know what my vision is (less than 20/20, I know that) but I think its pretty bad...

I just remember being in the doctor's office while I was in high school with my dad and taking a sight test. I was so bad that my dad laughed and told me my vision was "like an old man's".

Would amateur organizations generally allow someone like me to fight? Or am I just getting my hopes up? Is wearing contacts in the ring a liability?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Fighting with contacts is definitely a liability, but they would still let you fight with or without them. Ive fought and sparred with bad eyesight (I was also prescribed contacts), as long as you can see punches coming and train without them to get used to it your all set.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I want to start boxing, but I wear contacts and my vision without them is not very good. I don't exactly know what my vision is (less than 20/20, I know that) but I think its pretty bad...

I just remember being in the doctor's office while I was in high school with my dad and taking a sight test. I was so bad that my dad laughed and told me my vision was "like an old man's".

Would amateur organizations generally allow someone like me to fight? Or am I just getting my hopes up? Is wearing contacts in the ring a liability?
I dont know if you can wear contacts in a fight, they might fall out or something. If you really wanna be a boxer, you can always get laser eye surgery.

·
Registered
104 Posts

You cant wear contacts in the ring, i have them too but I just take them out because if you get hit on the eye with contacts in it, the contact will break or shift to the corner of your eye and thats a KO believe me, the pain is unbearable. But since boxing is a close contact combat sport in a ring you won't really need 100% optimal vision. In my case that is

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for replying. I think I'll do fine without my contacts. My vision isn't horrible without them, I just can't drive because I can't read signs from far away. I was reading another thread where poster said most boxing organizations won't let you fight if your prescription is lower than -5.00, but mine are -1.75, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone for replying. I think I'll do fine without my contacts. My vision isn't horrible without them, I just can't drive because I can't read signs from far away. I was reading another thread where poster said most boxing organizations won't let you fight if your prescription is lower than -5.00, but mine are -1.75, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
When I did kickboxing, I'd spar and train without contacts on and my eyesite is -2.5, so trust me you'll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts