Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Frank Warren revealed in his latest "Frankly Speaking" column that Don King recently traveled to the UK and the two promoters held a meeting to discuss several possible key bouts for the future.

The two were working hard to hammer out a deal for the November meeting between Joe Calzaghe (now a light heavyweight and still the WBC/WBO/WBA super middleweight champion) and Roy Jones Jr (former four-division champion). One of the other discussed bouts would pit undefeated lightweight Amir Khan and WBA/IBF/WBO champion Nate Campbell.

Warren hopes to officially announce some of the bouts discussed in the next few weeks.

"I had some fun last weekend when I took Don King to see Arsenal's home game with Everton at the Emirates. He has got are some decent fighters, and we discussed some huge match ups for the next six months or so. I'll be announcing them in the next few weeks," Warren said.

·
Registered
772 Posts
both of those fights would be great, i could see roy jones giving calzaghe a few problems, but nothing clazaghe won't be able to adjust to, i've noticed whilst watching calzaghe how similar to mayweather he adjusts to the style of fighters very well always manages to come out on top,

on khan vs. campbell, i think khan will one day be as good as he is said to be but, i hope this fight doesn't come too soon for him, in amogst the change of his trainers and the lack of fighting experience, he has got what it takes but, he hasn't been in the ring long enough for me to say i can see khan winning this fight.

all the same both bouts should be great.

G

·
I don't know what fight I'm looking forward to most! I think Calzaghe-Hopkins will be a Calzaghe UD with maybe a few twists. Khan-Campbell will shock a few here. Campbell is very beatible.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Make them fights
hell yeah!!!!!!!

I don't know what fight I'm looking forward to most! I think Calzaghe-Hopkins will be a Calzaghe UD with maybe a few twists. Khan-Campbell will shock a few here. Campbell is very beatible.
you think cal will win by ud this time, eh?;)

i think we'll end up seeing the same type of scores from jones/calzaghe as we saw in the calzaghe/hopkins fight. of course the fight will be much more entertaining. i like campbell over kahn. too much experience and grit for kahn to overcome imo. i know people are still thinking of campbell as the same fighter that got dropped and beaten by peden, but that was years ago. he's better now.....it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think people read to much into Diaz vs Campell. Diaz got cut for the first time and didnt know how to handle it and Campel the experianced guy he is took advantage of it. Until the headbut Diaz was winning the fight and imo Diaz would take the rematch. Campell has been beaten by C level fighters so yes i see Kahn beating him.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think people read to much into Diaz vs Campell. Diaz got cut for the first time and didnt know how to handle it and Campel the experianced guy he is took advantage of it. Until the headbut Diaz was winning the fight and imo Diaz would take the rematch. Campell has been beaten by C level fighters so yes i see Kahn beating him.
Before the headbutt the fight was pretty even. Cambell outlanded Diaz in almost every round. Like someone said on another forum : he outdiaz'd Diaz.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
If i remember right i had Diaz winning the fight when the heabutt occured. But you could all see that Diaz wasnt the same after the cut, but still i would have trouble seeing the fight going any other way but thats because Diaz wasnt expecting Campell to put up such a fight and be stronger on the inside so he didnt have a backup plan, thats a lack of experiance imo and if they ever fight again i will be going with Diaz.

G

·
hell yeah!!!!!!!

you think cal will win by ud this time, eh?;)

i think we'll end up seeing the same type of scores from jones/calzaghe as we saw in the calzaghe/hopkins fight. of course the fight will be much more entertaining. i like campbell over kahn. too much experience and grit for kahn to overcome imo. i know people are still thinking of campbell as the same fighter that got dropped and beaten by peden, but that was years ago. he's better now.....it's as simple as that.
I think the Calzaghe-Jones fight will be completely different to the Hopkins fight. I see Jones picking up a few rounds in the first half and Calzaghe dominating down the stretch. Calzaghe 116-112.

Khan takes campbell to school. :cheeky4:

Have you watched Campbell/Diaz??? :dunno:
Yep. As Brutus said the headbutt swung the fight in a different direction. Khan beats Campbell all day long IMO.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I think the Calzaghe-Jones fight will be completely different to the Hopkins fight. I see Jones picking up a few rounds in the first half and Calzaghe dominating down the stretch. Calzaghe 116-112.
hmmmm. kinda sounds like the way some felt the hopkins/calzaghe fight went, no? i'm assuming you mean the fight will be more entertaining when you say completely different

i just don't see that happening, man.

Yep. As Brutus said the headbutt swung the fight in a different direction. Khan beats Campbell all day long IMO.
i think the fight was already headed in a certain direction. the fact that campbell was bullying him had more effect on diaz than the headbutt. i don't think diaz is as confident as you guys are that he beats campbell in the rematch. he could've asked for an immediate rematch but didn't.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
If i remember right i had Diaz winning the fight when the heabutt occured. But you could all see that Diaz wasnt the same after the cut, but still i would have trouble seeing the fight going any other way but thats because Diaz wasnt expecting Campell to put up such a fight and be stronger on the inside so he didnt have a backup plan, thats a lack of experiance imo and if they ever fight again i will be going with Diaz.
Exactly. Campbell was slugging it out with Diaz on the inside and added some in & out movement. He's a more complete fighter than Diaz so he wins the rematch IMO.

The fight was close before the headbutt. If a champ like Juan Diaz was not experienced enough to beat Campbell what makes you think Khan would beat him?

G

·
hmmmm. kinda sounds like the way some felt the hopkins/calzaghe fight went, no? i'm assuming you mean the fight will be more entertaining when you say completely different

i think the fight was already headed in a certain direction. the fact that campbell was bullying him had more effect on diaz than the headbutt. i don't think diaz is as confident as you guys are that he beats campbell in the rematch. he could've asked for an immediate rematch but didn't.
Yeah, it'll be more entertaining but not as controversial IMO. I like both fighers alot but I'm gunning for Calzaghe.

I think Diaz-Campbell II would be tough to call but Khan beats them both IMO. Time will tell though.

G

·
The fight was close before the headbutt. If a champ like Juan Diaz was not experienced enough to beat Campbell what makes you think Khan would beat him?
Because Khan is different class. Khan is bigger, stronger and faster. The only thing he lacks is experience but with his talent I don't see that being an issue.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts

Watch the beginning of the fight when the ref is giving his instructions. Campbell says "you ready for hell?" and Diaz looks intimidated. Everytime Campbell talked to him during the fight he looked uncomfortable.

Because Khan is different class. Khan is bigger, stronger and faster. The only thing he lacks is experience but with his talent I don't see that being an issue.
Remember you're talking about champions of former champions. I don't see how Khan being a prospect is in a different class. And I don't think he has faster hands than Juan diaz. He might be slightly faster with one punch but not with combinations.

G

·
Remember you're talking about champions of former champions. I don't see how Khan being a prospect is in a different class. And I don't think he has faster hands than Juan diaz. He might be slightly faster with one punch but not with combinations.
I know what you mean but I believe he is. I could be looking for a new sig though if I'm wrong. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
yeah, i caught that and all the talking thru the fight. no way campbell won the fight because of the headbutt. he was in diaz' head, man.
Damn right

I know what you mean but I believe he is. I could be looking for a new sig though if I'm wrong. :laugh:
You're already doubting your prospect? :laugh:. We gotta be careful though with all these upsets...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts