Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Was Archie Moore the greatest Light Heavyweight boxer of all time?

  • Yes

    Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

    Votes: 2 22.2%
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Hey Bill... I have to ask... what do you think of Antonio Tarver?

EVERYTHING... everything that you comes to your mind when it comes to Antonio Tarver!

I also reckon you didn't add Michael Spinks to your Light Heavyweight List because he beat Larry Holmes Twice and got knocked the **** out by Mike Tyson in 91 seconds for his first, last and only ever defeat in his very last bout ever... those matches were at HEAVYWEIGHT...

You have got to admit... his a hell of a lot better than Neon Leon... there's a lot of Michael in Cory... and he did win a Middleweight Gold Medal at the '76 Summer Olympics... and was a mighty fine Light Heavyweight!

One more thing... who was the shortest ever World Light Heavyweight Champion?

Was it Sugar Ray Leonard at 5'10?

Just read over everything that I just wrote and talk about it... PLEASE!!!:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
Hey Bill... I have to ask... what do you think of Antonio Tarver?

EVERYTHING... everything that you comes to your mind when it comes to Antonio Tarver!

I also reckon you didn't add Michael Spinks to your Light Heavyweight List because he beat Larry Holmes Twice and got knocked the **** out by Mike Tyson in 91 seconds for his first, last and only ever defeat in his very last bout ever... those matches were at HEAVYWEIGHT...

You have got to admit... his a hell of a lot better than Neon Leon... there's a lot of Michael in Cory... and he did win a Middleweight Gold Medal at the '76 Summer Olympics... and was a mighty fine Light Heavyweight!

One more thing... who was the shortest ever World Light Heavyweight Champion?

Was it Sugar Ray Leonard at 5'10?

Just read over everything that I just wrote and talk about it... PLEASE!!!:thumbsup:
When I looked back over the thread, I originaly had him at 10, but then I saw I forgot 5, and put that guy in there, so that bumped everyone back 1. Antonio Tarver hits hard and all, but he wasn't put to the test until he fought RJJ, and RJJ was past it. Then when Hopkins got to him he was knocked all around the ring. So, I would say he is one of those guys that was good, and will be remembered for a couple years, then forgoten.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
tarver will be remembered more for his role in rocky balboa than his boxing career. :cheeky4:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
tarver will be remembered more for his role in rocky balboa than his boxing career. :cheeky4:
LOL, maybe he should do what Tex Cobb and Marvin Hagler did and go into the movie industry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions for my top 10 list?
1. Archie Moore
2. Ezzard Charles
3. Roy Jones Jr
4. Billy Conn
5. Gene Tunney (fought very well at Lightheavy)
6. Bob Foster
7. Mathew Saad Muhammad
8. D-ick Tiger
9. John Henry Lewis
10. Slapsy Maxie ROsenbloom/Michael Spinks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for my top 10 list?
1. Archie Moore
2. Ezzard Charles
3. Roy Jones Jr
4. Billy Conn
5. Gene Tunney (fought very well at Lightheavy)
6. Bob Foster
7. Mathew Saad Muhammad
8. D-ick Tiger
9. John Henry Lewis
10. Slapsy Maxie ROsenbloom/Michael Spinks
yes put roy jones at #1. :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
bill1234 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for my top 10 list?
1. Archie Moore
2. Ezzard Charles
3. Roy Jones Jr
4. Billy Conn
5. Gene Tunney (fought very well at Lightheavy)
6. Bob Foster
7. Mathew Saad Muhammad
8. D-ick Tiger
9. John Henry Lewis
10. Slapsy Maxie ROsenbloom/Michael Spinks
Just a couple of things for conversation.
When Charles was fighting at lightheavy there is no argument that he was one of the best altho for what ever reasons he never held the lt.heavy title.He fought about half of his bouts as a heavy,won the title and had some memorable fights at this weight.So for this reasoning I think he should mostly be rated as a heavy.On the other hand I think **** Tiger should be rated with the middles.I don't know how Virgil Hill would match up with some of the past champs,but for career accomplishments (like defenses)he should be considered.Tunney seem to have most of his fights at ltheavy,but made his mark as a heavy.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
hhascup said:
Dwight Muhammad Qawi 5'6½"
Jack Dillon 5'7½"
Di-ck Tiger 5'8"
HOLY CRAP!
They must've been the stockiest MOTHERS in all of Non-Heavyweight Boxing... Michael Spinks must've been HUGE v Dwight Muhammad Qawi when they fought! :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
HOLY CRAP!
They must've been the stockiest MOTHERS in all of Non-Heavyweight Boxing... Michael Spinks must've been HUGE v Dwight Muhammad Qawi when they fought! :cool:
Qawi went as a heavyweight too. He wasn't that fat. He was just big boned. Michael SPinks was 6'2-6'3.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
With Dwight Muhammad Qawi, Jack Dillon,
and **** Tiger... what was their stamina, finesse, fitness, handspeed, and so on and so forth like? Also... how do you pronounce the name Qawi??? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
With Dwight Muhammad Qawi, Jack Dillon,
and **** Tiger... what was their stamina, finesse, fitness, handspeed, and so on and so forth like? Also... how do you pronounce the name Qawi??? :D
I always pronounced it Cow-ee, but I could be wrong.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
Boxers like that made people actually pay attention to The Light Heavyweight Division and take it seriously!:cool:
Yep, to bad thats over with...And anything that has the name heavyweight in it.
 
101 - 115 of 115 Posts
Top