Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

was tyson power overrated?.

7K views 107 replies 18 participants last post by  tyson forever 
#1 ·
A lot of the opponents he fought in the eigties have said that he didnt hit as hard as they expected and other fighters hit them harder.

#29 ·
bill1234 said:
But it was slow and not very effective compared to his right uppercut or left hook.
he lunged in well with it, tyson was an exellant boxer in his younger days, he had great skill he wasn't just a brawler like a lot of guys think.

#30 ·
bill1234 said:
Where do you get 1 and a 1/2 punches after? There were no glancing blows. It was 4 clean punches, 1 blocked, and a clean right hand. Look at how many clean shots he took. Also look how his uppercut got screwed up by the ropes right before the 3rd knockdown. YouTube - Mike Tyson vs Larry Holmes p2 (rus)
Already watched it a few times. the 2nd kd was a glancing blow on top of the head. No way was that a clean shot. And no way did tyson "push" him on the 1st kd. What does a uppercut that didn't land got to do with anything. It didn't land!

#31 ·
bill1234 said:
I personaly think it is sad that the Holmes of the Tyson fight is the Holmes people remember.
i like to remember the larry that fought butterbean LOL

just kiddin bill.

holmes is an all time great he just got caught in a bad era much like marciano did, i like to remember the holmes that beat norton, cooney and shavers.

#32 ·
KNUCKLE UP said:
Already watched it a few times. the 2nd kd was a glancing blow on top of the head. No way was that a clean shot. And no way did tyson "push" him on the 1st kd. What does a uppercut that didn't land got to do with anything. It didn't land!
Its the reason for the 3rd knock down, Holmes through the right uppercut, and it hit the ropes, and Tyson landed 2 monster right hooks on him, Holmes went down, and Cortez followed him down. Also the first knock down did have a bit of a push to it. And it is angles, if you watch it at a different angle, it landed right on Holmes's cheek clean.

#33 ·
tommygunn said:
i like to remember the larry that fought butterbean LOL

just kiddin bill.

holmes is an all time great he just got caught in a bad era much like marciano did, i like to remember the holmes that beat norton, cooney and shavers.
I like to remember the Holmes that beat Norton, Shavers, Cooney, came back against Weaver, and the one that came back and schooled Mercer.

#34 ·
From what I can see it does look like a glancing shot. However, the video quality isn't great and I think it was more the first KD that hurt Larry. He's one of my all time favorites, but I must admit that I don't think he would have beaten Tyson regardless.

#35 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
From what I can see it does look like a glancing shot. However, the video quality isn't great and I think it was more the first KD that hurt Larry. He's one of my all time favorites, but I must admit that I don't think he would have beaten Tyson regardless.
If Holmes had lets say 3 months to train, he could have beaten Tyson. Because his legs would have held up, and he could have survived the round. If he took Tyson to round 6 or 7, he could have won.

#36 ·
bill1234 said:
If Holmes had lets say 3 months to train, he could have beaten Tyson. Because his legs would have held up, and he could have survived the round. If he took Tyson to round 6 or 7, he could have won.
You may be right. As of now it is all hypothetical though. I just think at some point during the fight (given Holmes trained for 3 months) Tyson would have eventually put him down.

I will not rule out that Larry COULD have definitely won.

#39 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
You may be right. As of now it is all hypothetical though. I just think at some point during the fight (given Holmes trained for 3 months) Tyson would have eventually put him down.

I will not rule out that Larry COULD have definitely won.
Tyson might TKO Larry, but not KO Larry. Larry was almost KO proof. His 2nd fight with Shavers is proof. You couldn't land a better, more clean shot, and Larry was up on 5, yes he was basicaly a fighting dead guy after it, but he was great in survival mode, possibly the best ever.

#48 ·
the guys that say they have been hit harder than tyson are lieing, most of these guys were knocked out in the first round and probabley didnt even have a chance to feel the power because they were ko'ed before they knew. All guys are saying so and so hit me harder just to make the other guy look bad.

#49 ·
TysonJones said:
the guys that say they have been hit harder than tyson are lieing, most of these guys were knocked out in the first round and probabley didnt even have a chance to feel the power because they were ko'ed before they knew. All guys are saying so and so hit me harder just to make the other guy look bad.

No their not. Tyson took them out with combo's, and they were stopped, not out cold. Tyson didn't knock very many guys out cold, just onto queer street. Holmes said Shavers and Cooney hit harder than Tyson, and Cooney didn't even knock Larry down. Tyson only knocked Larry down majorly once. The first knock down was aided with a little push. The 2nd one Larry was more off balance than anything, and the 3rd, Cortez didn't even give Larry a chance. Spinks went down twice, and he was still concious. Marvis Frazier was still concious after being destroyed. most guys say so and so hit harder because they did. Ali said Shavers hit harder than Foreman. Is he lieing? Walcott said Marciano hit harder than Louis. Is he lieing? Tyson's power looked more and better than what it was.

#51 ·
i only responded to defend my man. HOlmes probabley felt hatred against all guys of the new era. I have a hard time remember how hard a guy hits me after a week or so. I can make myself think something but it may not be true. its all mental, but i can tell you one thing and then im done. Id rather get hit by marciano, louis, shavers, or foreman, than step inside a ring with mike tyson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.