Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World Boxing Council President Jose Sulaiman is calling for a rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and WBC 154-pound champ Floyd Mayweather, Jr. to change the close decision to decisive.

Practically speaking, the win, rather than a draw, hinged on the margin of just one point, and both fighters feel they did enough to win.

Don Jose explained: “My opinion is that there should be a re-match. I’m sure that Floyd Mayweather isn’t very happy to have won by such a close margin. And I’m sure that Oscar De La Hoya is very unhappy to have lost the title in such a close match. So a re-match should be the best thing to happen.”

Floyd has yet to decide whether he’ll keep the WBC Welterweight, or Super Welterweight belts, and is being given a few more days to reach the point of a decision. Today’s rules state that no champion can hold more than one belt simultaneously.

That didn’t stop Don Jose comparing Floyd to all time great Henry “Homicide Hank” Armstrong who held the Featherweight, Welterweight and Lightweight belts simultaneously 1937-38.

Describing Floyd as one of kind, Don Jose said he retains the capacity and capability to fight as a super lightweight, welterweight and super welterweight, and is: “A master of self defense.”

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
LeedsLad said:
Too much money in this for it not to happen. Though i think SSM-PBF at 147 would be much more interesting.
im with you 100% but the question is will it generate enough money to entice Baby Floyd.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you mean delahoya right? because floyd has been the only one wanting a rematch, he already said he wants it. So will it entice floyd? it already has.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
sulimans right, although i though oscar won there was no clear winner. id watch a rematch!

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
tysonjones said:
you mean delahoya right? because floyd has been the only one wanting a rematch, he already said he wants it. So will it entice floyd? it already has.
No im talking about SSM fighting BF. Will it generate enough money to entice BF.

·
Registered
49 Posts
let them fight and hopefully mayweather will still be than man in about 5 years, that way berto would have several more fights under his belt and just let berto knock him out. he is a long way from it, but i can have my dreams cant i

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
i would love to see what kind of PPV Numbers ($) the super "fighter" can generate on his own.
I bet it will be Embarrassing in comparison to today’s Oscar, Tito and Tyson numbers.
He is nothing with out the big name next to him.
Does it really matter? I mean honestly. Floyd gets paid, the guy he beats gets paid. Whoever likes watching Floyd gets to see the best in the business. PPV numbers really wont matter in ten years. The boxer will be remembered no matter the PPV sales. Floyd's style isn't like any of those guys. Tyson for one was a KO artist and the average fan loves that. Oscar was exciting because he took a beating and gave one, and Tito was about the same. Floyd just dominates people if you really know what you are watching, but he doesn't do it in the way that YOU or any of his other critics want. Still the best in the business by a long shot.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol ya know i argued about floyd being a big draw, but honestly, he doesnt draw tyson and oscar numbers but who does. Floyd on his own draws just as much as any other fighter if not a little more. And seeing how is style is an all out offense, he must have alot of fans who pay to watch his defense. So im with shane, who cares how much he can bring it, you should worry about how many more top guys he beats, whether it draws money or not. Because there will never be a drawer like oscar and tyson, at least not until boxing reaches its peak again, which who knows how long that will take.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well who's to judge what WEIGHT CLASS ANY of them are in, It would actually be an advantage for all of them to fight floyd at 154, floyd is naturally smaller than all of them. as for his next fight, we all know it'll be delahoya, thats the one that will make the most doe. After that, it'll probabley be mosley , or the middleweight champ.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
tysonjones said:
im sure it eventually will, but mosley probley needs to get a belt first.
Mosley is the interm WBC welter weight champ.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts