Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Rick Reeno

Last week, Tony Morgan, who trains unbeaten welterweight prospect Andre Berto, had an interview with The Ledger and told the paper that Berto's WBC eliminator with "Mikki" Angel Rodriguez of Mexico, scheduled for June 21, would become a title fight for the vacant WBC belt. He said the current champion, Floyd Mayweather Jr, was planning to vacate the title rather than defend it.

Our correspondent in Mexico, James Blears, made contact with WBC president Jose Sulaiman to obtain additional information on the matter. Sulaiman said he was unaware of any plans by Mayweather to vacate their welterweight title.

Berto's promoter Lou DiBella told MaxBoxing/BoxingScene.com that he did not hear anything about Mayweather planning to vacate in the immediate future.

The fight with Berto (ranked at 1) and Rodriguez (ranked at 2) is still scheduled to be a WBC eliminator to set a mandatory challenger to Mayweather's title. According to DiBella, the fight has the possibility of having the WBC "interim" welterweight title at stake.

"What may happen is the WBC will make the winner the interim-champion and then Mayweather would have to fight the winner. I think it depends on what Mayweather does (for the WBC to strip him). I think they are waiting to see if his fight with Oscar De La Hoya is at 147 or 150," DiBella said.

Mayweather's negotiations to finalize a deal for a September rematch with De La Hoya are still ongoing. Based on every recent interview with De La Hoya, the fight will be contested at a catch-weight of 150-pounds.

Several sources believe the WBC will put the hammer on Mayweather by the end of the year. Since winning the welterweight title from Carlos Baldomir in November 2006, Mayweather has not made a single defense against a welterweight contender ranked by the WBC. He made his first and only defense of the title against Ricky Hatton (a junior-welterweight) last December.

Mayweather will probably vacate the title once the WBC sends him a mandate to fight the winner of Berto-Rodriguez.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By Rick Reeno

Last week, Tony Morgan, who trains unbeaten welterweight prospect Andre Berto, had an interview with The Ledger and told the paper that Berto's WBC eliminator with "Mikki" Angel Rodriguez of Mexico, scheduled for June 21, would become a title fight for the vacant WBC belt. He said the current champion, Floyd Mayweather Jr, was planning to vacate the title rather than defend it.

Our correspondent in Mexico, James Blears, made contact with WBC president Jose Sulaiman to obtain additional information on the matter. Sulaiman said he was unaware of any plans by Mayweather to vacate their welterweight title.

Berto's promoter Lou DiBella told MaxBoxing/BoxingScene.com that he did not hear anything about Mayweather planning to vacate in the immediate future.

The fight with Berto (ranked at 1) and Rodriguez (ranked at 2) is still scheduled to be a WBC eliminator to set a mandatory challenger to Mayweather's title. According to DiBella, the fight has the possibility of having the WBC "interim" welterweight title at stake.

"What may happen is the WBC will make the winner the interim-champion and then Mayweather would have to fight the winner. I think it depends on what Mayweather does (for the WBC to strip him). I think they are waiting to see if his fight with Oscar De La Hoya is at 147 or 150," DiBella said.

Mayweather's negotiations to finalize a deal for a September rematch with De La Hoya are still ongoing. Based on every recent interview with De La Hoya, the fight will be contested at a catch-weight of 150-pounds.

Several sources believe the WBC will put the hammer on Mayweather by the end of the year. Since winning the welterweight title from Carlos Baldomir in November 2006, Mayweather has not made a single defense against a welterweight contender ranked by the WBC. He made his first and only defense of the title against Ricky Hatton (a junior-welterweight) last December.

Mayweather will probably vacate the title once the WBC sends him a mandate to fight the winner of Berto-Rodriguez.
Who was that guy that swore up and down the fight would be at 147? I thought so!

I'd love to see Mayweather-Berto, but damn. Money ruins sports.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah man. People complain about boxers fighting for money, but every other sport is the same way. Guys will go from a good team to a terrible team for a few more million. I don't blame them. I'm just saying that it is this way.
 

·
Mental Midget
Joined
·
4,170 Posts
I like Berto but I wouldnt want to see him against Floyd. He would get picked apart imo and just ouclassed. Plus Floyd would probably never take the fight because its not a big $$ fight.

He NEEDS to fight Cotto after DLH. Thats what everyone wants to see and they'll both make a boatload of cash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like Berto but I wouldnt want to see him against Floyd. He would get picked apart imo and just ouclassed. Plus Floyd would probably never take the fight because its not a big $$ fight.

He NEEDS to fight Cotto after DLH. Thats what everyone wants to see and they'll both make a boatload of cash.
I agree with all of this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,820 Posts
Vacation/Studying hard. Happy to be back with you dudes.

How's everything been?
Well there's been a lot of drama in the forum lately. I shouldn't be talking about this so pm me or one of the mods if you wanna know what happened.
Other than that it's been great. How do you feel about Hopkins and Witter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Been a minute since i seen you on ring doc , nice to see your back on here.
Thanks for the welcome back man.

Well there's been a lot of drama in the forum lately. I shouldn't be talking about this so pm me or one of the mods if you wanna know what happened.
Other than that it's been great. How do you feel about Hopkins and Witter?

Wow... Seems serious. I guess I took a break at the right moment? Im PM'ing you out of sheer curiousity.

I feel Hopkins did well for his age. He would have made cool-whip out of Calzaghe in his prime but clearly, at 43, he should hang them up as an ATG. The fight answered the questions many of us had going into it.
Witter? A dissapointment. He overlooked Bradley and that cost him millions in a potential fight with Ricky Hatton. Shame on him! Although I'd still like to see him fight Malignaggi sometime in the future.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top