Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

WBC Welcomes Mayweather vs. Cotto Says It Might Happen In 2009

3K views 67 replies 16 participants last post by  TysonJones 
#1 ·
World Boxing Council President Jose Sulaiman says that the WBC would welcome a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto with open arms.

That said, Cotto and Margarito are both Top Rank fighters and negotiations are already underway to arrange to pit them against each other on July 26.

However Don Jose said: “I believe that the people of the world some day will pressure for the Mayweather/Cotto [fight] to happen. I believe it’s also planned to have a fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather in the Fall. The prospect of these fights are very interesting.”

Floyd has already won WBC belts in five weight categories and Don Jose praised him by saying: “Floyd is not only the best of his era. To me he’s one of the best twenty in of the whole three hundred years of boxing! Floyd has also been one of the ten best in the WBC’s history, and I’m talking about Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard and Mike Tyson!"

“I feel Floyd belongs there. But I also respect and like Cotto. He’s a very strong, very tough fighter, he comes forward and lets the other guy know that he’s in a fight. That’s going to be a helluva fight.

“I do believe that the fight between Floyd and Cotto will happen in 2009, perhaps in May, September or October. But I’m sure that fight is going to happen, and the WBC will not object to it. To the contrary we will support it with open arms.”

By James Blears

See less See more
#2 ·
World Boxing Council President Jose Sulaiman says that the WBC would welcome a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto with open arms.

That said, Cotto and Margarito are both Top Rank fighters and negotiations are already underway to arrange to pit them against each other on July 26.

However Don Jose said: “I believe that the people of the world some day will pressure for the Mayweather/Cotto [fight] to happen. I believe it’s also planned to have a fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather in the Fall. The prospect of these fights are very interesting.”

Floyd has already won WBC belts in five weight categories and Don Jose praised him by saying: “Floyd is not only the best of his era. To me he’s one of the best twenty in of the whole three hundred years of boxing! Floyd has also been one of the ten best in the WBC’s history, and I’m talking about Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard and Mike Tyson!"

“I feel Floyd belongs there. But I also respect and like Cotto. He’s a very strong, very tough fighter, he comes forward and lets the other guy know that he’s in a fight. That’s going to be a helluva fight.

I do believe that the fight between Floyd and Cotto will happen in 2009, perhaps in May, September or October. But I’m sure that fight is going to happen, and the WBC will not object to it. To the contrary we will support it with open arms.”

By James Blears
Of course it is going to happen. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I dont know P4P always talking about how is semi- retarted I mean retired. And how is only gonna fight once a year. He alredy got Hatton set up for spring of 2009. I seriouly doubt that he'll fight again that year just a few months apart.

#5 ·
You and I both know that the Hatton fight will happen. Just like The oscar fight isnt done but everyone knows its gonna happen. And tell him that he isnt fighting 1 time a year he said it.

#14 ·
:laugh:Yall acting like I dont want this fight to happen. Im the one that wants it to happen the most here. I want it to happen this year. Im just going off of what the guys says.

#33 ·
also, berto will be in the picture by next year, and Margy might give cotto fits. I know, I know, cotto right off hand sounds like the sure thing but if they both bring there A-game when the time comes and cotto doesn't, upsets can happen.
yes indeedy!

If Oscar wins. I think Cotto wont fight P4P. He'll fight Oscar. That will be a much bigger fight.
that goes without saying;)

#46 ·
If Cotto would ever fight Hatton it would be in NYC of PR and i dont think that Hatton would like that so that fight isnt gonna happen, and besides Cotto would kick his ass! i see Mayweather feeling pressured to fight the winner of Cotto/Margy and it would happen early 09. Floyd is just trying to get more fans with all that wrestling sh--, and letting Cotto win some more fights so the fight can be more hyped and interesting, i guess he is doing a pretty good job, hes all about the money, hes letting Cotto get more fans and fame, so the day they fight it would the fight of the century.

#47 ·
If Cotto would ever fight Hatton it would be in NYC of PR and i dont think that Hatton would like that so that fight isnt gonna happen, and besides Cotto would kick his ass! i see Mayweather feeling pressured to fight the winner of Cotto/Margy and it would happen early 09. Floyd is just trying to get more fans with all that wrestling sh--, and letting Cotto win some more fights so the fight can be more hyped and interesting, i guess he is doing a pretty good job, hes all about the money, hes letting Cotto get more fans and fame, so the day they fight it would the fight of the century.
now, if only the may-haters can get this through their heads. it would relieve them of so much stress, man.

#57 · (Edited)
There is no way Floyd does anthing different in this fight guys, Oscar still has the speed and power to catch him and KHTFO if Floyd opens up. He wont change anything from the last time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.