Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester - boxingscene.com

"Moving up in weight comes with a price when dealing with the WBO. Paul Williams, the current WBO welterweight champion, moves up to 154-pounds to face Verno Phillips on November 29 for the WBO's interim-title at junior middleweight. Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, president of the WBO, informed Williams' promoter Dan Goossen that his fighter, pursuant to the WBO rules, would not be allowed to hold WBO titles in both weight divisions.

"Paul would have liked nothing more than to go to ring as a champion for the fight against Williams on November 29, but Francisco Valcarcel indicated to me that he would not be allowed according to their rules," Goossen told Primera Hora. "Nobody deserves to have the WBO welterweight title without first having to fight Williams."

Once Williams officially vacates the title, the WBO will order a fight between their two highest contenders, Miguel Cotto and Michael Jennings of the UK, with the winner becoming the new champion. There is no guarantee that Cotto accepts the fight.

Cotto is already in position for a rematch with WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito for next June. Given the economy and the decline of pay-per-view purchases by boxing fans, Cotto will probably need a stronger and more well known opponent for his first fight since losing to Margarito. Cotto's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, would like to match him with former champion Kermit Cintron, who returns on November 15 against Lovemore N'dou."

That's crap.:thumbsdown:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
By Mark Vester - boxingscene.com

"Moving up in weight comes with a price when dealing with the WBO. Paul Williams, the current WBO welterweight champion, moves up to 154-pounds to face Verno Phillips on November 29 for the WBO's interim-title at junior middleweight. Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, president of the WBO, informed Williams' promoter Dan Goossen that his fighter, pursuant to the WBO rules, would not be allowed to hold WBO titles in both weight divisions.

"Paul would have liked nothing more than to go to ring as a champion for the fight against Williams on November 29, but Francisco Valcarcel indicated to me that he would not be allowed according to their rules," Goossen told Primera Hora. "Nobody deserves to have the WBO welterweight title without first having to fight Williams."

Once Williams officially vacates the title, the WBO will order a fight between their two highest contenders, Miguel Cotto and Michael Jennings of the UK, with the winner becoming the new champion. There is no guarantee that Cotto accepts the fight.

Cotto is already in position for a rematch with WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito for next June. Given the economy and the decline of pay-per-view purchases by boxing fans, Cotto will probably need a stronger and more well known opponent for his first fight since losing to Margarito. Cotto's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, would like to match him with former champion Kermit Cintron, who returns on November 15 against Lovemore N'dou."

That's crap.:thumbsdown:
once again little spineless men who have never put on a pair of gloves trying to manipulater those who do, I'd tell that guy what he can do with his chanpionship belt....

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
IMO if a fighter moves up in weight to fight for another title he should be stripped. But its the double standards that annoys me, Calzaghe goes upto 175 and he wasn't stripped for about 8 months. Floyd held the WBC at both 147 & 154 at one point. All sanctioning bodies should strip fighters when they move up in weight, especially when there fighting for titles at that weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO if a fighter moves up in weight to fight for another title he should be stripped. But its the double standards that annoys me, Calzaghe goes upto 175 and he wasn't stripped for about 8 months. Floyd held the WBC at both 147 & 154 at one point. All sanctioning bodies should strip fighters when they move up in weight, especially when there fighting for titles at that weight.
As long as every fight is a title defense. I don't think fighters should be stripped if they have tites in 2 weight classes.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument. Its not fair to guys within that weight class to have a belt just sitting there because the fighter wants to move up in weight but at the same time you earned that belt and if you plan on defending it in a reasonable amount of time then you deserve to keep yours hands on it. Tough to say which is right.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
As long as every fight is a title defense. I don't think fighters should be stripped if they have tites in 2 weight classes.
Ben I agree its not right to strip a mans title he earned in the ring for purely political reasons. Then to make Cotto & Jennings the #1 & 2 contenders to fight for the vacant title is ludicrous. Cotto got destroyed in the Margarito fight and I've never heard of Jennings.
I hope Paul looks on the bright side He wont have to pay those exhorbitant sanctioning fees now will he, but he's still champ to the fans

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What's even worse is that the WBO has made the Williams/Phillips fight for the interim 154 lb title even though Dzindziruk is less than two weeks removed from defending it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's even worse is that the WBO has made the Williams/Phillips fight for the interim 154 lb title even though Dzindziruk is less than two weeks removed from defending it.
What exactly does that mean? I don't pretend to understand all this sanctioning body nonsense...

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
I don't understand...if you can defend both titles and you intend to defend both titles in reasonable amount of time, then why strip the fighter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand...if you can defend both titles and you intend to defend both titles in reasonable amount of time, then why strip the fighter?
That's what I'm saying. There should be a certain time limit, say 10 months or so where you have to defend the title within that time period.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i think it is because they usually dump a title when times up. they use it for bargaining etc

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
That's what I'm saying. There should be a certain time limit, say 10 months or so where you have to defend the title within that time period.
Exactly. :thumbsup:

i think it is because they usually dump a title when times up. they use it for bargaining etc
ahhh great point...if I was a sanctioning body I would get pretty heated if someone pulled that act on me.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Agree with all of this!!!!

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Seriously who gives a fukk? The WBO has always been pretty much a minor league belt. No big loss for Williams.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Seriously who gives a fukk? The WBO has always been pretty much a minor league belt. No big loss for Williams.
I agree VD, i dont have many british guys to defend with it now so i agree 100%. LMAO!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.