Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i have a few questions that ill just throw in here. First, some info on me so you can better answer my questions. i'm 5ft10 and about 180 pounds, so yes I'm way over weight. as of right now ive started dieting (already lost 10 pounds in the last month, so I'm not fooling around) On top of running and dieting to lose weight i've been doing some simple workouts more in an attempt to save the muscle i already have, not really to gain muscle as i diet. As of right now i have close to no power on my punches (i'm weak).
My question is should i lift weights once i get my fat down so i can get my power up? From what i can tell lifting weights is bad for boxing (Shannon Briggs?) but if you have no power how do you get that up without weight lifting?

thats basically it...

-Melty

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
You dont "need " to lift weights to gain power in boxing. As you train and learn, your muscles in your back, shoulders and legs will develop and your power will increase.
If you want to use weights to train, I would suggest low weight high repetitions to keep muscle mass down and increase indurance. You could also work on explosive movements and plyometrics.

Other than that though, just do you bag work and training, and finish up with your calesthenics and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Captainobvious said:
You dont "need " to lift weights to gain power in boxing. As you train and learn, your muscles in your back, shoulders and legs will develop and your power will increase.
If you want to use weights to train, I would suggest low weight high repetitions to keep muscle mass down and increase indurance. You could also work on explosive movements and plyometrics.

Other than that though, just do you bag work and training, and finish up with your calesthenics and you'll be fine.
Just what he said

·
Banned
1 Posts
weight does help strenght n power.. no heavyweight!! that will put on weight... also weights can increase your speed.. maximum you should lift is your body weight.. but while doing weights you shouldnt be lifting slow.. its explosive.. do explosive excerises.. as when you punch.. BANG its explosive.. i can be hearall day telling you details.. how.. what it does.. what it will do.. e.g explosive is for the fst twitc muscles and in boxing we use alot of fast twitch.. but anyway everyone has there own opinion.. but im telling you.. weights does help..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Meltdown50 said:
Ok, so i have a few questions that ill just throw in here. First, some info on me so you can better answer my questions. i'm 5ft10 and about 180 pounds, so yes I'm way over weight. as of right now ive started dieting (already lost 10 pounds in the last month, so I'm not fooling around) On top of running and dieting to lose weight i've been doing some simple workouts more in an attempt to save the muscle i already have, not really to gain muscle as i diet. As of right now i have close to no power on my punches (i'm weak).
My question is should i lift weights once i get my fat down so i can get my power up? From what i can tell lifting weights is bad for boxing (Shannon Briggs?) but if you have no power how do you get that up without weight lifting?

thats basically it...

-Melty
Using correct punching technique will do more for your power than weights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
weight training has to be individually for the boxer

weight training as to be given to fighters that has lack of power.
all in the life is depending in your body type genetics and coorrdination.
if you are physicaly weak to your weight category and you are not novice boxer, it nay be the wright thing to give you a personally special weight program to increase your explosive power.
the demand from boxer is to develop explosive power - the fast twich fibers !!!
a boxer need to be first of all rapid with high speed of motion and to be able to generate maximal power in minimal speed at every punch that he deliever to the opponent.
the most important thing to do this is first of all - coordination. this thing is something that is controlled by the central nervous system !!!
coordination is something that has to be developed since you are child and it in charge to every move in boxing and to the power of the punch !!!
how ???
i will explain.
a punch has to generate at the begining in the central nervous systen.
the brain send the order to the legs that start to move tge torso that move the shoulders that throw the arm and in the moment of impact has to make a contraction of all the body.
this is a coordinated movement that if is been generate corect and smooth the all body is launching the punch and the power of the punch is optimal.
if the boxer is lack of coordination and this move is like a rusted chain - weight training is not the answer for you at this stage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts