Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my trainer had me put on this headgear with a face mask like an umpire's mask over the front. While I was working the mitts, he'd periodically whack me in the head. Punch punch punch WHACK! Punch punch WHACK! It didn't hurt b/c I had the mask thing on, but it frustrated me to no end because I never even saw it coming. Please tell me I'll learn to see and get out of the way. :eek:

I can't wait to go back and do it again! :laugh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
good

My coach has done the same thing with me, only without the head gear on. It's actually quite good because it makes you realize that you have to watch what's going on.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Oh i know how that is. My trainer would smack me right in the face with the pads without headgear on when my hand is down. It's not a fun feeling it feels like getting smacked obviously but with leather in the face. Hurts but i don't mind it lol. One day you'll be able to get out of the way. One day...Defense comes after a few months of training. Doesn't come too easy for you you gotta train hard for it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
good thing

The one thing I learned immediately from this is countering. As soon as I started bobbing or weaving from the punch I was countering, usually with a quick body punch - making my coach smile. Can't help but notice that unless a guy pulls it back quickly, when a punch is thrown there's ribs to be had. Mmmmm....ribs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nothing is more annoying than being winded when you are sparring, its one hell of a struggle to get your composure back after that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hey man try keeping your hands up and just moving your head away from his punch and just lift your arm to block it. my coach does that too when im not keepin my hands up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey man try keeping your hands up and just moving your head away from his punch and just lift your arm to block it. my coach does that too when im not keepin my hands up

Yeah, that's what I'm working on. I'm getting better. Supposed to start sparring next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts