Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to some sources and with Bob Arum said in a interview, Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito could face eachother on July 26 if both men win this weekend.

Sounds great to me, also with that outcome Joshua Clottey will fight for a vacant title or get a shot at the winner(to be determined by IBF).

I've read this someplace else but thats the one I remember ESPN - Older, wiser Margarito not overlooking Cintron - Boxing

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think Cotto will be the one cleaning out the division. Once he does that, I think that would force Mayweather's hand. Mayweather-Cotto will have to happen.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The welterweight division won't be wiped clean for a very long time to come. It has equally promising prospects and contenders as it does champions. It's been the hottest division in boxing since Mayweather moved up and Cotto following his footprints.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prospects arent there to be cleaned because they are prospects, beaten contenders are just contenders. Whos left in there? Margy-Cintron-Cotto, only one will come out. Other than them, theres Clottey. Quintana is already below Cotto so another win over williams might make things even more simple..

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Well if Cintron beats Margarito we will have to see a thrid fight between them. Cotto is obviously the number two guy and I believe FLoyd is the only one with a shot to beat Miguel. Clottey doesn't get the respect that he deserves and he can beat CIntron and/or Margarito IMO. To add into the mix, Berto is scheduled to be in a title eliminator in June or July I just read.

I don't think the division is cleaned up, but it's clear who 1 and 2 are and #3 is the only thing up for grabs.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Ideally, Cotto could be WBA/IBF Champion by the end of the year and fight Mayweather for 147lbs supremacy in mid-2009.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I doubt Cotto will fight Margarito because Margarito will lose. But even if he wins the fight against Cintron I still see no reason for Cotto to fight him.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reason.. well its a good fight and an easy one to be made...Just needs both men winning their respective fights

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Reason.. well its a good fight and an easy one to be made...Just needs both men winning their respective fights
Yea and I dont see Margarito getting past Cintron this time.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
If Cotto unifies titles then a welterweight showdown against Floyd would happen sooner. Cotto could even grab the WBO belt. Cotto vs Floyd could be the biggest fight in the welterweight history.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
If Cotto did all of that that P4P guy still wouldnt fight him.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Prospects arent there to be cleaned because they are prospects, beaten contenders are just contenders. Whos left in there? Margy-Cintron-Cotto, only one will come out. Other than them, theres Clottey. Quintana is already below Cotto so another win over williams might make things even more simple..
As far as I'm concerned Quintana is nobody relevant.
I doubt Cotto will fight Margarito because Margarito will lose. But even if he wins the fight against Cintron I still see no reason for Cotto to fight him.
How do you see no reason for Cotto to fight Margarito?

You guys are forgetting Shane Mosley FAR too quickly. He's coming off of a BS decision L to the "great" Cotto, and is about to stop Zab. He hasn't taken a long layoff this time, and I believe he'll be better than he was against Cotto. I look for Mosley to be a major player in the WW division "clean up."
Mosley beats Quintana, Margarito, Clottey, Cintron, Judah, and Cotto in a rematch. He would be Floyd's toughest fight at WW.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
RingMagazine...
Champ. Floyd
1. Cotto
2. Mosley
3. Quintana
4. Williams
5. Margarito
6. Judah
7. Cintron