Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm joining a boxing club in West Plains, Missouri, U.S., and by the sound of it, everyone knows what they're doing and they all have a ton of experience.
Besides that, I have no experience in any kind of fighting. When someone is punching me, I won't fight back (this is just in my nature). Even so, I am not very accustomed to taking punches, and I have never thrown a punch before.

I understand that I'll practice plenty before I ever fight anyone, but I doubt that practice will compare to actually being in the ring.

I think that I am in for really getting beat up big time (a lot)..;) But I may be wrong.

What do you think I'm in for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm just wondering if I'm being to negative about it. Is boxing really as tough as it looks? Tougher? Not as tough?

Your answer won't affect my decision to box, I'm just asking so I know what I'm getting into, so I know what to expect.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Its very tough. Don't expect to rush right in though. You will probably start out jumping rope, riding the bike, running on the tread mill, learning the jab etc. After 5-6 months it should start to pick up though, and it gets more interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Heart

One thing you will have to learn is that you HAVE TO FIGHT. If you are getting into boxing, you are not going to hug the guy in the other corner. You are going to jump on him like a spider monkey and make him hurt.

Starting off is a little rough for anyone that has never had any experience. All I can say about learning about what you are supposed to do is read up on it and talk to people. It's the only way you are going to learn.

My last piece of advice, learn to punch.

A fighter that never punches is a fighter that never wins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Mate you'll be fine.

The hardest parts going to your first session, when you're nervous and unsure what to expect.

You won't get thrown in at the deep end they'll teach you to box before you spar, just go and try and enjoy yourself.

I went to my first proper boxing session tonight it was amazing just worked on cardio and footwork the hour went well quick, can't wait til thurs! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
They should teach you everything before they throw you in to get beat up. it doesnt help anyone when you throw someone into the ring who doesnt know what theyre doing. you just get beat up and dont learn anything, the person beating you up doesnt learn anything, and in the end youll just get turned off of the sport. youll probably learn for a month or two and then should start light sparring with people in your experience class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trodai said:
One thing you will have to learn is that you HAVE TO FIGHT. If you are getting into boxing, you are not going to hug the guy in the other corner. You are going to jump on him like a spider monkey and make him hurt.

Starting off is a little rough for anyone that has never had any experience. All I can say about learning about what you are supposed to do is read up on it and talk to people. It's the only way you are going to learn.

My last piece of advice, learn to punch.

A fighter that never punches is a fighter that never wins.
Yeah, it will probably be a bit difficult for me to actually fight back, since I never do (but I'm not a pacifist, mind you:) ). But I'm sure I can get over it.

West24 said:
They should teach you everything before they throw you in to get beat up. it doesnt help anyone when you throw someone into the ring who doesnt know what theyre doing. you just get beat up and dont learn anything, the person beating you up doesnt learn anything, and in the end youll just get turned off of the sport. youll probably learn for a month or two and then should start light sparring with people in your experience class.
I expect to learn enough and train enough, but I'll likely be so nervous that I will get beat up anyway in my first fight, but oh well, it should be fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I haven't had my first session yet. Things have been so busy that I can't start boxing 'til at least January. At least that'll give me more time to get in even better shape until then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spiderbloke said:
Unlucky you're missing out mate.

Hope things get sorted for you.

Sure you can't box at least once per week just to get into it?
I'm sure. I'm supposed to box twice a week once I join, but one of those two days is a Wednesday, at the same time as church, so I can only box a maximum of once a week anyway, that is, once I start.
Hopefully, things will work out, but they might not, so I might not be able to box at all, which stinks, but there's still a chance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
What you need to do most importantly is find a trainer who cares about your well being and will properly train you, dont be suprised if you accually are brought to tears in your first sparring session, not from pain but from frustration... After awhile your self confidence will be so high you will feel like your holding a gun in any altercation knowing that you can break a mans jaw faster than he can raise his hands.

Stick with it and it will help you in all aspects of your life.

Twice a week is BS by the way I meet my trainer 8 times a week and the gym is open 16 hrs a day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Madghost said:
What you need to do most importantly is find a trainer who cares about your well being and will properly train you, dont be suprised if you accually are brought to tears in your first sparring session, not from pain but from frustration... After awhile your self confidence will be so high you will feel like your holding a gun in any altercation knowing that you can break a mans jaw faster than he can raise his hands.

Stick with it and it will help you in all aspects of your life.

Twice a week is BS by the way I meet my trainer 8 times a week and the gym is open 16 hrs a day
Can you explain that bolded bit mate? Never heard of that happening.

I take it your professional mate 2 training sessions per week's fine for people just training for fun like me and I assume punchingbag as I have other commitments such as college, work and seeing my mates + gf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I have seen it quite a bit accually, many people have never been hit in the face, especially by someone who 5 minutes before was your friend and being your first time in the ring it can be very aggrivating to have someone constantly slap your hands out of the way then effortlessly land combos while your still concentrating on stepping in properly. All I'm saying is a minute and a half in you may want to take off and never return - don't it gets better and in a few months its you on the other end of things.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top