Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im obviously new here but I do have a ton of questions so you will probably see a lot of threads started by me in the coming weeks.

So my question is what are some good combos and why?

I myself like 1-2-3-2, but Ive read elsewhere that ending any combo with your right hand is a bad idea because it leaves you exposed. Thoughts comments?

Also I myself dont usually like combos with double jabs, I like to attack fast and hard and usually end a fight quickly. I know thats not a good way to box, but Im more of an MMA stylist.

Side note, the reason Im here as opposed to an MMA forum is because when it comes to striking with the hands boxers know best, and you guys seem to have way more respect and class than your typical MMA forum troll.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a newbee so i'm not sure but there are so many different combos.... i heard jab-cross-lefthook face-left hook body is good...

anyone else have any suggestions

i would like to know this myself..and maybe like the most common combo, so that i can lear to protect from that..other than 1-2 of course

·
Registered
15 Posts
really it depends on your opponent. Different combinations will work on different fighters based on things like how they move, where they hold their hands, how tight their defense is, if they like to come in or stay outside, are they a counterpuncher or not, and things like that. Generally I try not to keep any preconceived ideas of combinations in my head aside from having the useful benefit of muscle memory. Planning is good and all but i'll take better reactions anyday. Either way though, here are some that you can use.

jab-cross-front upper
jab-cross-front body hook
jab-rear hook-front hook
jab-front hook
jab-body cross-front hook
(duck a jab)body cross-front body hook-rear hook/upper-jab

generally most combinations start with the jab until you figure out the tendencies of your opponent or are amzingly confident that you know what you're doing. Usually you won't start combinations with your rear hand because its further away and can be seen coming more easily. This can be where feints come in handy but those too take practice.
hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
You can also start some combos with your cross :

cross head - left hook head- cross head
cross head - double left hook body
cross head - left uppercut - cross head

Or you can lead with the left hook :
left hook head - left hook body - cross head
left hook head - cross head - left uppercut
left hook head - left uppercut
left hook head - right uppercut - overhand right head
left hook head - right uppercut - left hook head

·
Registered
87 Posts
good thread

I try to learn good combos by watching the pros. I've seen B'Hop use the double jab followed by straight right and I'm a fan of that one. I think it works better if you've been working the body beforehand. Then again, everything does.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well i didn't read any other combinations but i'll give you a few that i have learned from my trainer.

jab 2 straight rights left hook.

Jab Straight right left hook to the body left hook to the head and if you feel comfortable throw a right off of it.

Jab straight right left hook to the body straight right.

Straight Right left hook.

jab straight right left hook right uppercut.

Jab straight right left hook right uppercut left uppercut and if you want add a straight right to that and then add a left hook.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well i didn't read any other combinations but i'll give you a few that i have learned from my trainer.

jab 2 straight rights left hook.

Jab Straight right left hook to the body left hook to the head and if you feel comfortable throw a right off of it.

Jab straight right left hook to the body straight right.

Straight Right left hook.

jab straight right left hook right uppercut.

Jab straight right left hook right uppercut left uppercut and if you want add a straight right to that and then add a left hook.
One of my favs, I use a different variations of it to.

Jab, straight right, left uppercut, straight right, left hook, straight right, and a finishing jab is optional.

Jab, jab, straight right, left uppercut, straight right, left hook, right body hook, left hook.

Straight right, step, right uppercut, left hook.

Left hook, straight right, jab.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
One of the awkwardest punches ever thrown which is really hard to throw and i throw it with pop is a jab left hook jab. I did it against my friend in sparring and he didn't expect it. The way i hook it comes back turned as if it was already cocked and i never threw a hook

·
Registered
221 Posts
The combo im using now is, i usually just circle acting like im not doing anything then explode with a left uppercut followed by a right hand

·
Registered
841 Posts
One of the awkwardest punches ever thrown which is really hard to throw and i throw it with pop is a jab left hook jab. I did it against my friend in sparring and he didn't expect it. The way i hook it comes back turned as if it was already cocked and i never threw a hook
I've landed the jab, left hook, but never tried the extra jab, does seem kinda awkward. Gotta be real quick with it to get away with it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Exactly, and thats why i can land it :D try to make a muscle memory of it. So when you throw a combination like that it just comes off quick. If you can master something like that then you'd catch people a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey fellas, new here.. :)

jab, jab, straight right to body
jab, jab, body jab, left hook to head (i luv using this one!)
right uppercut, left hook

·
Registered
15 Posts
What kind of combos do you all use when working on the inside?
generally anything that alternates between body shots and headshots, that way your opponent doesn't know where to guard and mostly hooks and uppercuts since you won't have much room to get full effect on a jab or cross. Personally, i like shoving opponents with my shoulders so they're back into my range and then quickly following up with a 3-series of sorts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It actually does not matter.
Don't start studying the combo's because
while sparring or matchin you won't have the time
to think about these combinations.

Try to shadow alot and make-up your own combinations
try to make combo's of at least 4 punches.
When you are used to throw a lot of punches and you can do this naturally without thinking about them your opponent will be very surprised.

After shadowing try the combo's during sparring. You'll figure out which ones will work.

Because the standard jab cross jab kind of combo's are too well known already. Still keep it as simple as posible ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
My favorite combos:
1)jab, check hook, straight right. the check hook is such a great punch that you will never over commit and get out of position.
2)rolling the opponent's right hand with a shoulder roll and countering with the right uppercut, left hook.
3)on the inside I like throwing the right hook around the opponent's left elbow and then come up the middle with a right uppercut or shovel hook.
4)a fast 1,2 or a 12, then duck and stay down, peek at your opponent to see if you can throw the left hook or slide up your right foot and throw a left cross or weave back into position.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts