Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 19. Just got into boxing. Started training two months ago and went from 6'3'' 257 lbs to to 6'3'' 225 lbs and in great shape. I really want to begin sparring and competing though. Here is my problem though. During football season last fall I suffered a severe concussion. I am fully cleared and suffered no permenant damage. I want to join my colleges boxing team and my family is saying since I had a concussion I shouldnt do it. You guys have probably all suffered concussions and wanted to know if you thought I could safely make the jump from training with the heavy bag, speed bag, and jump rope to integrating sparring and competing. thanks!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I am 19. Just got into boxing. Started training two months ago and went from 6'3'' 257 lbs to to 6'3'' 225 lbs and in great shape. I really want to begin sparring and competing though. Here is my problem though. During football season last fall I suffered a severe concussion. I am fully cleared and suffered no permenant damage. I want to join my colleges boxing team and my family is saying since I had a concussion I shouldnt do it. You guys have probably all suffered concussions and wanted to know if you thought I could safely make the jump from training with the heavy bag, speed bag, and jump rope to integrating sparring and competing. thanks!
I would seek advice from either a trainer in your area or a doctor before jumping into sparring. I don't think it would be that bad though if you suffered no permenant damage ;)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I would seek advice from either a trainer in your area or a doctor before jumping into sparring. I don't think it would be that bad though if you suffered no permenant damage ;)
He hasn't suffered any damage from what he knows of :laugh: :cheeky4:

I've never suffered a concussion by the way its cause you were in football which will not help you in boxing except for endurance. Just remember in boxing we don't headbutt =P

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have quit everything i did to put all my time into boxing. do you think my head will able to withstand it all then? cause i dont know if my family is being cautious but they keep saying 'dont box you have had a concussion, youll be braindead" stuff like that. i figured if anyone would know it would be you guys?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You Really Need To See A Physician, How Bad Was The Concussion?? If It Was Minor You Should Have Nothing To Worry About, Was It Bad Enough To Where It Left Some Permenant Head Trauma?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts