Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this stuff is going to be in my garage..
Speed bag set up
Professional Speed Bags from Everlast Boxing & Sportswear (Large 10" x 7")
Top Professional Swivel from Everlast Boxing & Sportswear
Deluxe Speed Bag Platform from Everlast Boxing & Sportswear
Heavy Bag Set up
Nevatear® Training Bags from Everlast Boxing & Sportswear (100 pound)
Pro Heavy-Duty Wallmount Hanger from Everlast Boxing & Sportswear
Heavy Bag Springs from Everlast Boxing & Sportswear
Question

Please help, I am new and wouldn't want to spend all this money and then find out it doesn't work.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
While its not a "bad" setup, here are my recommendations for you.

1. The speedbag size is a bit big. You may want to go with a medium at the biggest. And if you're going to pay that amount from Everlast, you may as well pick up a pro gym speedbag like this one: Speed Bag at Ringside.com

2.The Speedbag platform is functional, and includes a piece of crap s swivel , so its nice to see that you knew you needed to upgrade the swivel. However, I would recommend these for price and performance: Standard Speed Bag Platform at Ringside.com That unit comes WITH a great swivel already, instant savings. Ive used it and the setup works well. It would be even better with the top of the line swivel, but that one performs well.
Make sure when you mount your platform to the wall that you mount two 2X4's to the wall vertically, and then attach the platform mounts to the 2X4's. It will provide a more secure mount, and better vibration damping since wood "gives" more than the wall surface.

3. As far as the heavy bag goes, the model you picked is decent, and is a good value. At the cost of $150 with shipping factored in, its a nice buy. But I would recommend this bag which in my opinion is better quality, PLUS its all REAL leather construction. It comes in at $185 with shipping factored in which is an even better value considering the all leather. It also comes with the heavy bag chain and swivel. Leather Heavybag 100lb. Filled at Ringside.com

Your also a smart guy for reckognizing the need for a spring. I usually recommend a heavy duty spring to reduce shock on your chains/swivel and more importantly, the wall mount. It also helps to reduce the vibration through the mount as well. (keeps it quieter if for the rest of the house in a home gym application)
The one you have selected looks like an even better model than mine, and at the same price so definitely go with that one.

I wouldnt recommend the additional bag and swivel chain setup as its pretty long. Also, what comes with the bag you selected, OR the one i've suggested will be sufficient. It would be wasted money you could spend on a better swivel, handwraps or a round timer, etc.

QUESTION: How high is the ceiling where you will be putting the equipment? What build is the ceiling? (finished with drywall, open with wood studs, concrete, etc?)
I ask that because if its feasible to ceiling mount your bag, thats a much better option. You'll be able to work on footwork all around the bag instead of the back side being close to the wall. Heres a pic of how I mounted mine. I'd be more than happy to describe the materials and install process if its something you're able to do with your ceiling height requirements.

Keep in mind, that is a 150lb bag, and yours is much lighter so no worries there.

Overall, your certainly on the right track. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to continue helping you out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you captain, I never had anyone answer me in such a nice way, god bless you.

I went to that website and here is what I'm gonna get (unless you guys don't recommend it"

Speed bag
Standard Speed Bag Platform at Ringside.com
Speed Bag at Ringside.com
Heavy bag
Leather Heavybag 100lb. Filled at Ringside.com
Heavy Duty Heavy Bag Wall Mount Hanger at Ringside.com
Mounting Kit 5 for HBH 3 - Wood Walls at Ringside.com
Heavy Duty Heavy Bag Spring at Ringside.com
Misc.
Top Contender Training Glove - Hook & Loop at Ringside.com
Top Contender Mexican-Style Handwraps at Ringside.com
Weighted Gloves at Ringside.com
Spring Hand Grips at Ringside.com
Whats the quality difference from these to the everlast one?
My garage ceiling is wood, the sides are cinder blocks.
How does this set up look?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Glad I could be of assistance friend.

The only two things I would change would be these

1. The gloves. If your dead set on getting 14oz or aove, than thats fine, but If your planning on using them for your bag work, then I'd recommend these as they are a better quality glove: Super Bag Gloves - Black at Ringside.com

2. The handwraps. Now this is simply a preference, but I should warn you that mexican style handwraps have some elstic in them, and while working out in them, the sweat causes them to beocme tighter on the hand, sometimes cutting circulation off a bit. If you've used them before, than thats great but I figured I should put that out there for you. The regular kind are what I try to use now, which are these: Classic Handwraps at Ringside.com

Looks good though mate. Should be a nice setup either way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just ordered it all, should be here in 6days!!! Thanks for all the help captain, I will fill in a recommendation if I see its good equipment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, I got everything except for the actual speed bag (back order).
I would give all my equipment a 10/10, everything is real nice. I just hooked up the heavy bag, and the speed bag platform (Just waiting on actual swivel & bag). Well worth the 590$ imo =).

I Will upload pictures when I can...
Thanks again guys..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Captainobvious said:

Keep in mind, that is a 150lb bag, and yours is much lighter so no worries there.

Overall, your certainly on the right track. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to continue helping you out.
What type of bag is that on the right?

Never seen one of those :confused:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I wonder if that guy really got all that stuff or was just talking. Its been a few months, I was looking forward to seeing some pics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts