Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can be for a number of reasons.

Examples: Lack of commitment,tragic events and so on.

Salvador sanchez is one that sticks in my mind,after wot he achieved at such a young age and yet still to reach his peak,i find it very sad that he was so tragicly killed at only 24 yrs of age when he had so much more still to give to the sport of boxing.

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judah and Calzaghe are obvious examples from recent times.
Yeah very good examples,judah must be one of the most inconsistent fighters ive ever seen,and i believe calzaghe although he always puts on a confident persona he does lack confidence in himself and does'nt realize how good he really is.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Without a doubt the two standouts are Roy Jones Jr & the Prima Donna who's name I refuse to type. Both were incredibly talented both could have done so much more. \My personal opinion and I stand by it

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Meldrick taylor is another for me,wot an amazing talent! but he was never the same after the beating he took off chavez.
That fight was his peak, but too bad he was too brave for his own good, he really got his brains jarred on that one and like you said he was never the same again at all, his speech years later was the worst case of brain damage I've seen...

·
8,579 Posts
Ike Ibeabuchi. Could of ruled the HW division.
EXACTAMUNDO Golden If only Ike had been content with the pretty lil girls that hung out at the gym. Instead he called that money hungry hooker, it cost him his career and a fortune

G

·
Without a doubt the two standouts are Roy Jones Jr & the Prima Donna who's name I refuse to type. Both were incredibly talented both could have done so much more. \My personal opinion and I stand by it
CJ,joking aside mate. Both ruled their respective divisions for years. they were the best of their era in their prime. What more do you genuinley think they could of done. because for me i just cant understand your point

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That fight was his peak, but too bad he was too brave for his own good, he really got his brains jarred on that one and like you said he was never the same again at all, his speech years later was the worst case of brain damage I've seen...
Yeah when being interviewed you can hardly understand a word he says now he's that punchdrunk!

·
8,579 Posts
I'm not joking golden I'm serious, both could have stayed in their respective divisions and faced all comers. They didnt they picked and chose the opponents that offered $$$$$$ with very little risk. Both moved up and down weights to do so. Had Roy Jones forgotten his ego & fought guys like Darius M, Nigel Benn, Gerald McClellan,Hopkins II etc, he would quite likely have beaten most of them.He would now be being revered as probably the greatest fighter of all time by everyone including me. But now theres always that doubt that marrs his legacy

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
What fighter did Oscar not fight in his prime? Seriously. How many top guys did he avoid in his career? Seriously. I was as mad (or even madder) that De La Hoya didn't fight the winner of Margarito-Cotto like he said he would, but the guy has fought EVERYONE in and around his multiple weight divisions while keeping boxing in the mainstream in a time it's been waning in the US. There are few boxers that should get a pass, Oscar De La Hoya is one of them.

G

·
I'm not joking golden I'm serious, both could have stayed in their respective divisions and faced all comers. They didnt they picked and chose the opponents that offered $$$$$$ with very little risk. Both moved up and down weights to do so. Had Roy Jones forgotten his ego & fought guys like Darius M, Nigel Benn, Gerald McClellan,Hopkins II etc, he would quite likely have beaten most of them.He would now be being revered as probably the greatest fighter of all time by everyone including me. But now theres always that doubt that marrs his legacy
I think Roy beats Benn, but Benn was a warrior, it would of been a classic fight and there was always a punchers chance

I take your point CJ, he was probably selective in his fights he took, but thats the joys of being a champ, name me one modern day champ who isnt abit selective about the fights he takes. Its modern day boxing CJ. He can do that.They nearly all do it.

Who knows if he would of ever fought G-Man, if it wasnt for his tragic turn of events maybe he would of. Hopkins wanted to stay at 160, RJJ wanted to move up.

I accept and respect your opinion CJ, i dont agree with it but at least you backed up your opinion with reasons why you feel that way. if you done that more rather than just your usual prima donna statement alot more people would see you at least arent just hating for the sake of it.:thumbsup:

TBH i think Roys KO loss to Tarver and Glen Johnson leave a bigger blotch on his legacy than anything else.Bit i also think, Floyd took on all comers, i really dont accept he ducked Margie, he moved up to fight oscar, that alone deserves ultimate respect

G

·
What fighter did Oscar not fight in his prime? Seriously. How many top guys did he avoid in his career? Seriously. I was as mad (or even madder) that De La Hoya didn't fight the winner of Margarito-Cotto like he said he would, but the guy has fought EVERYONE in and around his multiple weight divisions while keeping boxing in the mainstream in a time it's been waning in the US. There are few boxers that should get a pass, Oscar De La Hoya is one of them.
He was talking about Floyd not Oscar DP:thumbsup:

And your spot on about Oscar, the fact he moved up to fight BHop proves he had balls to take fights others wouldnt:thumbsup:

·
8,579 Posts
Golden the 2 KO losses were devastating I agree but my opnion is that Roy took the easy path, most of his wins were cake walks. In doing that he didnt have to keep sharp or stay focussed. All this time his skills were eroding and it ended up with the 2 losses. I still firmly believe that had Roy fought and beat those guys he would still be undefeated today

·
8,579 Posts
I never mentioned Oscar Doc Though his choice of fighting Pacman is not the fight I'd like to see

1 - 20 of 50 Posts