Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
The fights at the Grest Western Forum in Inglewood. My uncles and dad always went. So i started rolling around 8 years old. They had great fights. I remember watching the Marquez brothers come up. Barrera. Jorge Paez. Paul Banke.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For me it was my dad. He's been a die hard boxing fan since the 60's and he would watch fights on TV. I'd pester him with questions and he would tell me all he could about it.

When I was about 9 he started to teach me how to fight so I could defend myself and I enjoyed those afternoons, and enjoyed learning how to punch and set up different things. A lot of this was based off of boxing things and I really enjoyed boxing. By the time I was 10 I was watching boxing and reading all I could about it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I first took noticed of boxing around 12 years old years old. When I saw Michael Carbajal stop Humberto Gonzalez. But I didn't start following it till I was 18. That's when I started hanging with Gerald. Who was really into it. Now I'm really in to it

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The Contender

Kidding.. My grandpa, hes a friend of Eder Jofre and Miguel de Oliveira. They used to come to his place anc play cards, I was just 3-4 yo and they used to teach me how to punch and stuff. Then, I watched the best brazillian heavyweight(Adilson Rodrigues) destroyed by Holyfield inside 2 rounds, and again by Big George...:laugh:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Watching Ricky Hatton v Kosta Tszyu when I was 12 got me first interested in boxing. But I left it at that for a couple of years until Calzaghe-Lacy arrived. I was massive in the UK as people were thinking Joe would get KNFO. I watched that and ever since I ain't went back on it and now I love the sport. I'm still learning something new all the time coz I'm pretty young but for my age I think I've got good boxing knowledge (I'm 16).

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
my first fight: nigel benn vs mcclellan. i was either 10 or 11. my friends were into boxing and talked about the fight. i had my friend and his 2 brothers over and we watched it unfold. it was exciting, but i never really understood how exciting until i saw others later on. all i remember was i was eating some apple pie and i was cheering for both fighters lol. i didn't know who was who really. my friends older borhter was about 17 so he told us about benn being just out of prison and how he was much better before.

since then i have tried to watch all boxing tv programmes that i can.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My mom used to love Boxing when she was younger like around 27 i think she liked it cause my grandfather would watch it aaaall the time and i mean all the time. Once boxing is on tv he'll watch it even if they're people with 0-54. My mother would watch Trinidad all the time like "THATS MY BABY!" and i would watch it with her and my step father and i would root for people like De la hoya against him and Bernard (I was young i didn't know he stepped on my flag lol) or Vargas which was a great fight. I loved it it gave me this really good feeling. I fought all the time in school just to fight. I joined it at 15 after watching Judah-Cotto i think. I fell in love with the sport and wanted to give it a try. I was hanging out with my grandfather on saturday i slept over and i think i might become pro. He's getting sick and we were talking and I was like pfft i can beat both of them!(Cotto and Margarito) and he was like "I WISH!" So i think i wanna do this for him cause he loves the sport

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.