Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here. Long time watcher and i just now finaly decided to sign up for an account.

anyways, theres one question thats been buggin me. in the Pacquaio vs. Morales II fight ive always wondered what happened to morales?

he looked like he was ill. I noticed his coach was rubbin his lag, puttin a towel over him and he just looked out of it.

i later heard rumors that he was sent to the hospital and had to recover for a couple days.

any info or article on this would be grreatly appreciated. thanks

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
He was already done as fighter. That was pretty obvious when he lost to Barrera in the 3rd fight. He wasn't the Morales of old. Lot of people don't know that the Morales that beat Pacquaio in there first fight was a shot Morales. That's what makes Morales so great. His skills were decling, but his heart wasn't.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Oh no doubt. Prime Morales clowns Pacquiao.
Prime vs Prime its a tough decision. I roll with pacquaio though. Both are bad little men.

To answer the original dudes question. Morales was on the downfall and pacquaio was on his way up. Many people believe pac actually "peaked" in the third morales fight. Some say he is still at the top of his game.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
He was already done as fighter. That was pretty obvious when he lost to Barrera in the 3rd fight. He wasn't the Morales of old. Lot of people don't know that the Morales that beat Pacquaio in there first fight was a shot Morales. That's what makes Morales so great. His skills were decling, but his heart wasn't.
I think Morales was still primed in the 1st Pac fight.

Oh no doubt. Prime Morales clowns Pacquiao.
I don't think so. It would be a good close fight that could go either way.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Exactly. Alot of people don't seem to realise this. I wouldn't go as far as saying he was shot for the first Pac fight, but he had faded an awful lot and that fight was his last hurrah. Its no coincendence that he hasn't won a fight since. Prime Morales beats Pacquiao IMO.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hi, first post here. Long time watcher and i just now finaly decided to sign up for an account.

anyways, theres one question thats been buggin me. in the Pacquaio vs. Morales II fight ive always wondered what happened to morales?

he looked like he was ill. I noticed his coach was rubbin his lag, puttin a towel over him and he just looked out of it.

i later heard rumors that he was sent to the hospital and had to recover for a couple days.

any info or article on this would be grreatly appreciated. thanks
LOL he was ill after getting all those Pacquiao shots. The legs are first to go if you get punched 50 times by a p4p king whose main strength is his power.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think Morales was still primed in the 1st Pac fight.

I don't think so. It would be a good close fight that could go either way.
I agree. Pacquiao put on a hurting on Morales the first time out, so much so that he had a hard time with a non-HOFer like Raheem and got KOd in the 2nd Pac fight. IMO if not for the cut in the first fight, Pac wouldve KOd Morales in the 12th round. Try reviewing the 12th round. The blind Pac hurt Morales more times in that round than MAB had hurt him in 36 rounds. Just think what Pac couldve done to Erik had he started punching hard earlier without the blood clouding his vision.

G

·
I agree. Pacquiao put on a hurting on Morales the first time out, so much so that he had a hard time with a non-HOFer like Raheem and got KOd in the 2nd Pac fight. IMO if not for the cut in the first fight, Pac wouldve KOd Morales in the 12th round. Try reviewing the 12th round. The blind Pac hurt Morales more times in that round than MAB had hurt him in 36 rounds. Just think what Pac couldve done to Erik had he started punching hard earlier without the blood clouding his vision.
Morales switched southpaw and got caught with a couple of big left hands. He wanted to get involved in a war when he had the fight won and was tired, pure stupidity on his part. I agree with you that Pacquiao's cut wasn't ideal for him but Morales was past his best. A prime fight between them would be unreal.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Erik Morales is against Israel Vazquez vs. Jorge Arce

By Mark Vester

Former three-division champion Erik Morales has interjected his opinion on the continuous challenges being directed to WBO super bantamweight champion Israel Vazquez (43-4, 31KOs), from Jorge Arce (50-4, 38KOs). Morales is against the fight. He doesn't believe that Arce has a chance in hell of winning. He says Vazquez is too big and too strong. Vazquez tips the scales at 122, while Arce fights between 118 and 115.

"I don't know what Arce can do against Israel Vazquez. There is enough of a weight disparity and Vazquez is a tremendous puncher. Furthermore, Israel can really injure him. A fight like that shouldn't happen because there is a lot of danger," Morales told ESTO.

Morales has also taken exception to Arce's claim of being a three-division champion. Morales acknowledges that Arce captured titles at junior flyweight and flyweight, but doesn't count the third because Arce only holds the WBA interim-super flyweight title and has yet to capture the full crown.

"When he was a champion flyweight, he only had half a title in his power, and now he barely has a third, since the WBA has three champions at the weight, and it can't be viewed as something serious. He is a temporary champion, he has a piece, but in the same sanctioning body there are two other champions at super flyweight," Morales said. "Besides, how can Jorge call himself the world super flyweight champion of the WBA, when the true champion is Cristian Mijares, and with the beating he gave Arce. I believe that Mijares should require respect of the WBA, therefore he is the true champion, not Arce."

Morales still plans to return, probably in June 2009.

"My plans have not changed. I expect to return to the ring in search of the lightweight world title. I will go into a big fight directly, no precautionary fights or against average fighters," Morales said. "I suffered for years making weight at super bantamweight, featherweight and super featherweight, but all of that is going to pass now that I'm going to lightweight."

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
By Mark Vester

Former three-division champion Erik Morales has interjected his opinion on the continuous challenges being directed to WBO super bantamweight champion Israel Vazquez (43-4, 31KOs), from Jorge Arce (50-4, 38KOs). Morales is against the fight. He doesn't believe that Arce has a chance in hell of winning. He says Vazquez is too big and too strong. Vazquez tips the scales at 122, while Arce fights between 118 and 115.

"I don't know what Arce can do against Israel Vazquez. There is enough of a weight disparity and Vazquez is a tremendous puncher. Furthermore, Israel can really injure him. A fight like that shouldn't happen because there is a lot of danger," Morales told ESTO.

Morales has also taken exception to Arce's claim of being a three-division champion. Morales acknowledges that Arce captured titles at junior flyweight and flyweight, but doesn't count the third because Arce only holds the WBA interim-super flyweight title and has yet to capture the full crown.

"When he was a champion flyweight, he only had half a title in his power, and now he barely has a third, since the WBA has three champions at the weight, and it can't be viewed as something serious. He is a temporary champion, he has a piece, but in the same sanctioning body there are two other champions at super flyweight," Morales said. "Besides, how can Jorge call himself the world super flyweight champion of the WBA, when the true champion is Cristian Mijares, and with the beating he gave Arce. I believe that Mijares should require respect of the WBA, therefore he is the true champion, not Arce."

Morales still plans to return, probably in June 2009.

"My plans have not changed. I expect to return to the ring in search of the lightweight world title. I will go into a big fight directly, no precautionary fights or against average fighters," Morales said. "I suffered for years making weight at super bantamweight, featherweight and super featherweight, but all of that is going to pass now that I'm going to lightweight."
Not the best idea, but I'll definitely be watching :D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts