Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my summer catalog from ringside, and there is a new glove from Reyes called the 'Cleto Reyes Hook & Loop Training Gloves’ know Reyes makes an export sires for ringside but these gloves look just like the ringside gloves with the annoying elastic closure over the velcro.:dunno: I'm sure the gloves are great but why not just replace the laces with a piece of elastic and add a Velcro wraparound?

I understood making a glove with Velcro, I like the ability to put on my own gloves, but now they are making all boxing gear look so similar. There are a few gloves in the Title catalog that are so ugly you can hang them in a tree in your yard to keep out the stray dogs! Then you have the Star Trek looking stuff which I know some people might like but I don’t care for. I was pissed several years ago when Reyes went to the HUGE “Hecho in Mexico” now the “Cleto Reyes” is a little better. Grant with the cartoon guy? What is that? I am a fan of high end gear that is well made and dosen’t look like a Pakistani Taxi cab. Is that too much to ask?

I might get flamed for this but I care how my gear looks, I HATE the look of ringside gloves with their 800 number prominently displayed and funny logos on the thumb. Am I totally crazy here? does no one care about aesthetics of their gear? Function is number one, but I admire the quality and workmanship of a good glove, and making a Reyes glove look like a ringside is going too far.

I have a couple Mexican market Reyes gloves, but for some reason they have a freakishly large hand pocket and I am unable to use them. When I say large I mean LARGE I have pretty big hands.

I am thinking of getting my gloves custom from Shevlin from now on. Does anyone else know any custom glove makers?

Any thoughts?

VK

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
well theres shevlin like you mentioned, legacy which i hear i really top notch, and flores/dan mosby, and i have a feeling you will like double a boxing gloves

·
Registered
21 Posts
theres a guy named gloumb in new york who is a son of the johnny gloumb that started everlast. I heard hes trying to make quality gloves again. Its a shame but most of the stuff is coming from china.they get it made cheap then sell it to us for top dollar,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just ordered a pair of flores gloves

going for a classic look, I'll post when i get them, he also sent me some sample pics i'll post those when i get on my other computer. Boxing Classics is the guy in NYC, it looks like good stuff, but I really wanted custom. I have his Kangaroo Speed bag.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I had that fold over strap. It makes the gloves a pain to put on. I have a few ameteur gloves like that and I ended up just cutting it off. I like Reyes making a hook and loop glove but not with that crap on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
theres a guy named gloumb in new york who is a son of the johnny gloumb that started everlast. I heard hes trying to make quality gloves again. Its a shame but most of the stuff is coming from china.they get it made cheap then sell it to us for top dollar,

Ive been trying to get a hold of that guy and he hasnt called me back.

I emailed legacy (his company) one time and they said they dont take individual orders and they suggested I go to ringside for all my boxing needs. I bought the ultimate classics thinking those were most likely the ones that would be made by legacy if they were a oem for ringside. Yeah thats what I thought until I saw the 'made in chiner' sticker...

Ill bug hum enough until he gives me something. Dan Mosby is such a pain to get a hold of. Hell respond to one email and ask questions and then he never replies to follow up emails.

That would be the one to get. If you want the ultimate in protection, get Winnings. I can hit the bag as hard as I want (provided it isnt a POS century bag stay the hell away from those pieces of ****). Reyes does custom stuff too. I just ordered a 16oz pair of gloves in a size 12oz profile so it would provide more protection and fit my lightweight hands. If they do that, I bet you can order a pair without the logo (which I like) on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts