Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I find him boring as ****!!! He brings nothing new to the table. Only his height ooooh terrifying. He's not unbeatable and he's boring. He throws punches and bunches from different angles but iono i find him boring. Not a hate thread. Just telling my opinion. I don't hate the guy i just find him boring as hell and hate how people find him amazing.

I predict William fans to post first. Bweisman and Sugarshane. Prove me wrong and wait til someone who isn't a Williams fan posts :cheeky4:

I watched Williams last fight. First time i shut it off. 2nd time i was distracted enough to not turn it off

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hes pretty exciting to watch IMO he throws alot of punches and always comes to fight. Hes very beatable though. Mayweather, Winky, Pavlik & Abraham are 4 guys that would definetly beat him between 147-160. Margarito, Clottey & Cotto would have a damn good shot too.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't see the big hype around him though. He hasn't really been getting in the ring with tough opposition. He hasn't been tested and i have a feeling he's highly overrated from watching his last fight that bored me so much i couldn't watch it fully i was only able to watch it in skipped intervals.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I really don't see the big hype around him though. He hasn't really been getting in the ring with tough opposition. He hasn't been tested and i have a feeling he's highly overrated from watching his last fight that bored me so much i couldn't watch it fully i was only able to watch it in skipped intervals.
I agree to a certain extent but i think your selling him short. He is a very gifted fighter, but so are alot of today's Welterweights. Hes also pushing up in weight abit too soon before hes fully developed, which IMO is a mistake.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Im not a HUGE PW fan but I like the guy, I see what your saying about him being kind of boring but then again IMO hes been relatively untested considering how big dude is, his best wins to date are the quintana and margarito fight which where both pretty exciting IMO.

Once he steps up the level of competition and starts fighting nothing but elite fighter Ill be able to make a determination of what hes really all about, I do think he is slightyly overrated considering the opposition hes faced, yea he beat Marg but thats it (quintana overrated IMO). I think Marg would give him more of a fight now a days but would still favor Williams. Overall PW has alot of potential, hes young, shown to have power, speed and knows how to use his reach well, I was even looking at some of his past fights and have noticed he fights good in the pocket which tall lanky guys like him usually have trouble doing.

Boring for now, but with better match ups for the guy I think he can be the next BIG thing.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I watched the margarito fight and i found that boring too. Maybe its just that his fighting style ain't for me but i found it extremely boring. For now in my eyes he's rated overrated and boring to me. We'll see if it changes when he starts fighting real opponents. Yeah..its nice to have so many fights under your belt but say you had 70 fights and 68 of those fights were bums...whats so great about you? He could step it up...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Its obviously just not your taste in style. I find him very exciting. Whats not exciting about first round knockouts. He's basically a welterweight version of Kelly Pavlik. And he's possibly better. I havent been bored during any of his fights.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been bored with every fight i've seen him in. Except when Quintana owned him. Not because he lost just because i like what Quintana did. I sorta like when Paul Williams avenged that loss but it was pretty brutal. Other than that he's boring :D He doesn't bring anything new to the sport except his length. He's ordinary.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Williams is alright. He's a pretty good fighter with a great workrate, timing and accuracy. He needs to work on his defense but he got a solid chin. I thought he was impressive in the Margarito fight because he was boxing on his toes but since then he just walked his opponents down flat-footed and wide open to counters. I think it's because nobody has been able to put pressure on him like Margarito did that's why Paul hasn't been as sharp since then.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Paul Williams should find another trainer to make him more exciting. He's got the workrate, timing and accuracy but if you think about it...Maybe he's not getting these fights because his fanbase is low and many people such as me find him boring?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I've been bored with every fight i've seen him in. Except when Quintana owned him. Not because he lost just because i like what Quintana did. I sorta like when Paul Williams avenged that loss but it was pretty brutal. Other than that he's boring :D He doesn't bring anything new to the sport except his length. He's ordinary.
Ok. And thats obviously your opinion of him. Thats fine. No one can change that. Maybe he'll grow on you. With that said;

1. He's a man who can do big things in 3 different weightclasses, possibly 4.

2. He's already a 2 time champion, at age 27.

3. He's beat the best welterweight in the world, next to him.

4. He just beat the vacated 154 pound ibf champion in Verno Phillips, now he's ranked number 1 in the 154 pound division.

5. He had one loss after the Margy fight and in dramatic and exciting fashion, He RJ'd Quintana in 1 round in the rematch.

6.He knocked out a 160 pounder with one punch in the first round, a guy who went 6 hard rounds with andre ward mind you.

7. The man throws nearly 100 punches a round, has a granite chin, and loves to fight even with his height at 6'1 and reach at 82" advantages.

8. He has a 73 Percent KO percentage.

9. He's willing to fight anyone, yes anyone. How often do we see that from elite fighters?

10. The most exciting thing about this man is that he's still not even in his Prime. Thats somewhat scary for any of the 147-160 pounders out there.

You ask what theres to like, Theres plenty to like, but your hardly giving him a chance. Give him a chance. I know none of the above will change your opinion or perception of Paul Williams, but he will earn your respect, eventually.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can do big things while being boring though. I tried to give him a chance again. I tried to watch his last fight again but it was so boring that i couldn't finish it. Not an exaggeration either i just couldn't watch it. I was distracted by people talking to me online so i didn't turn it off. Eventually i would look over at the tv and then turn my head back onto my computer. One fight that i was interested in though was Steve Molitor Vs Celestino Caballero. I had no clue who these fighters were and i don't normally watch shotime fights but when i sat there and watched it i didn't get as bored as Williams got me.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You can do big things while being boring though. I tried to give him a chance again. I tried to watch his last fight again but it was so boring that i couldn't finish it. Not an exaggeration either i just couldn't watch it. I was distracted by people talking to me online so i didn't turn it off. Eventually i would look over at the tv and then turn my head back onto my computer. One fight that i was interested in though was Steve Molitor Vs Celestino Caballero. I had no clue who these fighters were and i don't normally watch shotime fights but when i sat there and watched it i didn't get as bored as Williams got me.
Well, we all have fighters we find boring. Its part of boxing.

G

·
:thumbsdown: opinions are opinions.
So I guess i'll make a seperate thread for every fighter I like and every fighter I don't like. And maybe everyone else could do that as well. You could easily have put this opinion in one of the 3 or 4 live threads that have some relation to PW. You're more than welcome to have your opinion, I just don't see why this is a thread. I'd say the same thing to any other similar post about another fighter.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
To each their own man but how can you find the late rounds of Williams-Margarito boring? Margy was trying to finish strong but Williams didn't let him take over. It was a high contact fight.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's also a good thread for someone who likes Paul Williams such as yourself to speak about him. Not many Paull William threads and my main question is what is there to like about him. Is there anyone who finds him just as boring? Does anyone also think he's a little overrated? Why is he not getting these big fights. Is it because his fan base is low due to being boring? these are things that came up on this thread. It wasn't me saying "Paul Williams Boring." The end.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To each their own man but how can you find the late rounds of Williams-Margarito boring? Margy was trying to finish strong but Williams didn't let him take over. It was a high contact fight.
I think i had to go to the gym at the end of the fight and just shut it off.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts