Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a begginer at boxing, and also new to this forum. I have done boxing for around a month. When I go to my boxing gym, I am not sure what to exactly do, and for how long. My gym is equipped with:
  • About 15 heavy bags
  • A speedbag
  • Weights (20 pounds, 7 pounds, 5 pounds, and 3 pounds)
  • 2 stationary bikes
  • An uppercut bag (barely used, I'm not sure why)
  • A boxing ring (pretty big, and available for sparring)
The gym is available every day, except friday and sunday. I am 15 years old, 165 pounds, and 5'10 feet tall. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to start with, and end up with? And for how long should I be doing it? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Work out for atleast an hour. Ride the bike for a couple of minutes to get your heart rate to increase. Jump rope a little buy yourself one. Don't lift the weights they aren't useful. Punch the heavy bag for 2-3 rounds depends on your stamina. Learn new techniques and its better for you to get a trainer to help you out. Since you're new look for advice from the people at your gym.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yeah ask some1 more experienced, most people are happy to help, i asked some1 for help with the speed bag and they helped me ill i got it. my gym has a specific routine that we all have to follow, but the trainer will pull people out for 1 on 1 coaching or for sparring etc

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have to disagree with Brooklyn Rican.

Weights are important but it's important that you lift the right way. Lifting for bodybuilding and lifting for fighting are very different.

Things like

-Squats
-Lunges
-Deadlifts
-Box Jumps
-Black Burns
-Sit Ups
-Crunches
-Pull Ups
-Dips
-Push Ups
-Clean and Press

Plyometircs are very good for fighting as well.

Combat Sports revolve around core muscle movement. Lower Back, Abdominals, Legs Etc.

Think about it when you throw a punch you are putting your whole body into it.

Cardio is just as important as weight training.

This is just a sample workout I'll make for you.

Start out 5-10 Minutes on Airdyne Stationary Bike
or
Treadmill Sprints- For example Run @ 12-13mph for 2 minutes non-stop with 30 second rest in between. Do that 4 times.

For weights

Pull Ups (you can do it without weight or you can attach a belt with 25 or 45lbs plate and do say 4 sets of 8 reps.

After each set do Medicine Balls Slams. Get a non-bounce med ball and slam in on the ground for 20 reps

then repeat this set.

The medicine balls slams develop punching power

Then do something like Squats with low weight (135pounds) for 12 reps then go directly to box jumps for 12 reps.

This will develop strength and power as well as explosiveness and do that for 4 sets.

Then do some plyo push-ups with a medicine ball.

Then end your workout with Crunches and Sit Ups.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another tool that helps develop punching power is the Sledgehammer.

Pick up a car or truck tire from a local garage. They'll usually give it to you for free to avoid having to pay to get rid of them. Then get a 12-15 pound sledgehammer and just whack it until you fatigue. It will helps develop you power big time.

I don't know if you remember but George Foreman used to chop wood for hours and hours on end. Thats how he developed his power. Same principle here.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also 2 more things you can do.

Developing Speed- Shadow Box in the Pool at your local YMCA or Swim Club.
or

Get Some resistance tubing and shadow box with that.

Also another VERY CRUCIAL part of the body you need to work is your neck.

Get a Everlast Neck Developer and attach 10-25 pounds to strengthen your neck. Getting hit is part of the sport and your neck needs to be strong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts