Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

What should the winner of the Cotto-Margarito fight do?

• Move up in weight

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about this one since Cotto vs. Margarito was made. What should the winner of this matchup do after he wins. If the PPV buys are substantial (as in 300,000 to 500,000) and in my opinion even if they are not the winner can lobby hard to face Mayweather. Cotto would have beaten 3 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10 welterweights in his last 6 fights. Margarito would have beaten the undefeated #1, the then #5 now #8 (twice) and the #7. What do you guys think about this.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
The winner of that fight should wait and see if Top Rank and Floyd can put an end to their feud and agree on a possible fight. If they can't come to an agreement then the winner of Judah/Mosley would be the perfect opponent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The winner of that fight should wait and see if Top Rank and Floyd can put an end to their feud and agree on a possible fight. If they can't come to an agreement then the winner of Judah/Mosley would be the perfect opponent.
I disagree we have alreaady see cotto beat both of those guys. if margarito wins then that's an option, however if cotto wins i think whilst he's waiting for floyd he should unify the alphabet titles. (i voted wait on floyd as you couldn't vote 2 things)

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I disagree we have alreaady see cotto beat both of those guys. if margarito wins then that's an option, however if cotto wins i think whilst he's waiting for floyd he should unify the alphabet titles. (i voted wait on floyd as you couldn't vote 2 things)
Mosley lost a close decision so he deserves a rematch with Cotto if he can beat Judah (which I think he will). If Judah won I agree Cotto wouldn't have to fight him. He could fight the winner of Williams/Quintana for the WBO belt. But it would be smarter to make an offer to Floyd and see if he agrees to fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
He needs to keep going about his business, fighting the best and trying to increase his name. The Floyd fight will come, so Cotto just needs to keep fighting top guys and keep winning.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If the Cotto - Margarito fight is close or even debatable i see Arum cashing in on that and putting a rematch on. The winner of this fight is not even in Mayweathers vocabulary.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
when Cotto beats up Margarito he should just keep chasing big fights out there with the rest of the title holders.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think Margy should go after the winner of Judah-Mosely if he wins and if cotto wins should persue the winner of Quintana-Williams. if cotto keeps winning Floyd will come to cotto, I honestly believe that. it's just a matter of time.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
After what I'm sure is going to be a war, who ever survives is probably gonna take a long lay off and who knows who'll be around by then to still make an interesting fight.
Floyd will probably most likely close shop and call it quits,after DLH

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
if floyd retires after DLH and cotto continues to win. you know Floyd is gonna hear crap from the fan about not taking the fight. I think he'll realize that to secure his legacy in this generation he will want a win over cotto. Floyd might not get to the point where he runs after cotto but I belive he will get to the point where he won't be saying things like "cotto isn't a big enough draw" "cotto's undeserving" ect. and will want the fight.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
if floyd retires after DLH and cotto continues to win. you know Floyd is gonna hear crap from the fan about not taking the fight. I think he'll realize that to secure his legacy in this generation he will want a win over cotto. Floyd might not get to the point where he runs after cotto but I belive he will get to the point where he won't be saying things like "cotto isn't a big enough draw" "cotto's undeserving" ect. and will want the fight.
Yeah but Arum needs to stop calling Floyd a duck when no offer has been publicly made.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
After what I'm sure is going to be a war, who ever survives is probably gonna take a long lay off and who knows who'll be around by then to still make an interesting fight.
Floyd will probably most likely close shop and call it quits,after DLH

Doubt it, Its almost a given that the winner will face floyd.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Arum does not have to offer any money. That was a one off what he done with Margarito.

Top Rank and Mayweather promotions would be co-promoters of the fight and they would negoiate between themself the money HBO offered and who would get what cut of the gate and PPV.

Cash offers aint how things are done.

They need to make this fight happen straight after Floyd vs Oscar. No excuses, the fight will be a big seller.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Cotto needs to leave top rank and get with GBP.

But I do agree with tommy.

And i truly believe that cotto mayweather will happen in 09.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I think Top Rank have done very well by Cotto to this point but most of the top fighters have ties and links with GBP around his weight. it would be the best thing for his career to move IMO.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Arum carries alot of baggage, Oscar carries alot less and he'll eventually need another promoter because I really believe that arum wont live much longer. He's getting up there and cotto will have to change so he might as well do it now. No doubt Arum has done a good job, but carrer wise, like tommy said, it would be smart to go with GBP and get that fight with floyd.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts