Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just started boxing classes 2 months ago. I currently weigh 280 and I'm starting to get pains in my hands after I hit the heavy bag. Now the gloves I use are not mine and they belong to the gym I go to. I mostly use the 14oz gloves but I think I need 16oz but not sure. The reason I'm posting this is becasse I want to buy my own good quality gloves but not sure on what size I should get in ounces. When I do use the gloves at the gym my hands are sore and like I said before they are 14oz however they are worn down and everyone uses them so I'm not sure if the 14oz would be good enough or if i should go bigger? any advice would be appreciated thx in advance.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hello everyone, I just started boxing classes 2 months ago. I currently weigh 280 and I'm starting to get pains in my hands after I hit the heavy bag. Now the gloves I use are not mine and they belong to the gym I go to. I mostly use the 14oz gloves but I think I need 16oz but not sure. The reason I'm posting this is becasse I want to buy my own good quality gloves but not sure on what size I should get in ounces. When I do use the gloves at the gym my hands are sore and like I said before they are 14oz however they are worn down and everyone uses them so I'm not sure if the 14oz would be good enough or if i should go bigger? any advice would be appreciated thx in advance.
At your size and power, you should definitely go with 16 oz and maybe even 18 oz. If your knuckles hurt, stay away from the punchers gloves and get some with lots of layers. I've done some bag work with those new rival gloves and they seem to have lots of protection and padding around the knuckle area. Also if you just started hitting the bag, your knuckles are going to be naturally sore and will get tougher as you go. It is very important that you don't hurt your hands though. So if you do think that there is serious damage I'd stay off em. Im sure at your size you frequently incoorperate lots of power shots into your bag work, try hitting the bag lighter with longer rounds till your hands heal up. Don't know if you already do but be sure your always wrappin up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At your size and power, you should definitely go with 16 oz and maybe even 18 oz. If your knuckles hurt, stay away from the punchers gloves and get some with lots of layers. I've done some bag work with those new rival gloves and they seem to have lots of protection and padding around the knuckle area. Also if you just started hitting the bag, your knuckles are going to be naturally sore and will get tougher as you go. It is very important that you don't hurt your hands though. So if you do think that there is serious damage I'd stay off em. Im sure at your size you frequently incoorperate lots of power shots into your bag work, try hitting the bag lighter with longer rounds till your hands heal up. Don't know if you already do but be sure your always wrappin up.

Thx for the reply, I just order the TITLE GEL® World Bag Gloves. I called them to see what sizes it came in and they said they were 16oz. And tell you what trying to find 16oz bag gloves is hard, I'd looked on grants and ringside websites and they mostly have 12oz to 14oz gloves. I think these will be good for the price and I hope they last for a long while. I also switched the way I wrapped my hands last night when I went to class and they felt a little better not as sore. thx again

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will begin training, but am new to boxing. I am needing to purchase a pair of bag gloves. The issue is I do not know what size I should get. I was looking at a pair of Rivals. I am 5'8 190lbs and in good shape. I have shorter thicker fingers and am unsure what size gloves to purchase (ie. 12oz, 14oz). Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will begin training, but am new to boxing. I am needing to purchase a pair of bag gloves. The issue is I do not know what size I should get. I was looking at a pair of Rivals. I am 5'8 190lbs and in good shape. I have shorter thicker fingers and am unsure what size gloves to purchase (ie. 12oz, 14oz). Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bag gloves come in the sizes of S, M or L. The best way to know what fits, is simply by trying them on. There's no other real way.

Fighting/sparring gloves come in weights ranging from 8 oz till 18 or 20 oz. People keep saying "size", however, "oz" means weight. Of course an 20 oz glove has more mass than a 8 oz glove - but they can both fit the same person.

For training, I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than 16 oz, both for your as your partners safety.

And as for the bag gloves, when in doubt - get a M. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
it is not the gloves,you are hitting the bag wrong,you are probably hitting the bag in an uncoordinated manner just swinging at the trees with your hands open literally slapping the bag which would cause your hands to hurt, stand in front of a mirror and try throwing punches slowly do this for a month then you will be ready for the bag:eatdrink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts