Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hello everyone, I just started boxing classes 2 months ago. I currently weigh 280 and I'm starting to get pains in my hands after I hit the heavy bag. Now the gloves I use are not mine and they belong to the gym I go to. I mostly use the 14oz gloves but I think I need 16oz but not sure. The reason I'm posting this is becasse I want to buy my own good quality gloves but not sure on what size I should get in ounces. When I do use the gloves at the gym my hands are sore and like I said before they are 14oz however they are worn down and everyone uses them so I'm not sure if the 14oz would be good enough or if i should go bigger? any advice would be appreciated thx in advance.
At your size and power, you should definitely go with 16 oz and maybe even 18 oz. If your knuckles hurt, stay away from the punchers gloves and get some with lots of layers. I've done some bag work with those new rival gloves and they seem to have lots of protection and padding around the knuckle area. Also if you just started hitting the bag, your knuckles are going to be naturally sore and will get tougher as you go. It is very important that you don't hurt your hands though. So if you do think that there is serious damage I'd stay off em. Im sure at your size you frequently incoorperate lots of power shots into your bag work, try hitting the bag lighter with longer rounds till your hands heal up. Don't know if you already do but be sure your always wrappin up.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.