Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing my first punching bag soon. I am a mixed martial artist. My weight is 152 and i fight at 135 5' 8". I was wondering what type of heavy bag to get, either just a standard bag or a water filled like the powair/hydrocore. And what weight of bag I should get as well. Any information would help a great deal, and since I am not strictly boxing this bag will be used to kick at as well.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I will be purchasing my first punching bag soon. I am a mixed martial artist. My weight is 152 and i fight at 135 5' 8". I was wondering what type of heavy bag to get, either just a standard bag or a water filled like the powair/hydrocore. And what weight of bag I should get as well. Any information would help a great deal, and since I am not strictly boxing this bag will be used to kick at as well.
There is a MMA board as well ;)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
100 pounds is always the best, Not to light, not to heavy. We dont want you hurting you hand. Everlast is probabley the best brand out there, don't go cheap though, you will pay for quality but it will last forever. I recently just got a 80 pound water filled heavybag, I'm highly AGAINST IT. Its garbage.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Water filled is garbage and made for sissy's, don't get it. I've heard good things about the Grant 125 lb Heavy bag. I personally like everlast 100lb heavy bags, but there not to kind to kicks, they tend to be fairly hard until you break the section in. And yes, NFFC is correct, there is a MMA forum, for mma fighters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nope, You use the bag at half of your weight. usually the standard that seems to fit for everyone is the 100 lb heavybag, however girls at my gym typically use lower sizes and smaller bags at 75 or even 50 lbs. Do you know how hard it would be to sink in a 200 lb heavybag filed with sand? It's pretty much impossible for I assume except for probably 1 in a million boxers. So nothing over 120 lbs. because if I remember in science how density works, yow, he's gonna break his hand if he's being serious.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I've never payed any attention to the weight of the bag compared to your weight. I weigh 117 and the 120lb bag is perfect. It swings around just as much as I want it. If I were you I'd get the 100-120lb Everlast bag.

·
Registered
21 Posts
four days a week I use my custom made heavy Bag from Balazs Boxing it weighs 300lbs. Its not for everyone but as a state champ and undefeated pro I was always seeking the next level. Bruce Lees 500lb bag is on display at Kali Martial arts academy in torance California.If you wish to be really good dont tinker around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts