Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, the heavier the better. I personally like the 100lb bag. It is a good work out and it moves a little, but not a lot to the point where you throw a light jab and it fly's everywhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
100lbs. everlast notear. Little hard at midsection, but wont tear your elbows and shoulders like water-filled. There is something about those low frequency shocks when hitting water!?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i agree with the heavier the better. don't stop at 100lb ... just think of the most rock solid huge human u can think of... u need to practice on a big heavy bag to hurt him with a blunt blow :dunno:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
El Dragon said:
100lbs. everlast notear. Little hard at midsection, but wont tear your elbows and shoulders like water-filled. There is something about those low frequency shocks when hitting water!?
Hey dragon, theres always one of these if its getting a little solid:
Heavybag Gel Cover at Ringside.com

I wonder if they work well. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Attachments

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
bigger the better? not always true. if you think like that your gonna tear your shoulders and destroy your hands and wrist. ive hit a 300 pound bag as hard as i can and i will never do it again. I can get hit my 100 pound bag as hard as i can and it feels pretty good. I have a 100 pound everlast and it gets the job done, although im on my 3rd one. I keep busting it into.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
oh and note to all you new boxers, dont hit a heavybag as hard as you can lol, their meant for practicing accurate punching and moderate power. its alright sometimes, but just make sure you dont hurt your hands.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TysonJones said:
ive hit a 300 pound bag as hard as i can and i will never do it again.
Thats what Marciano hit. It did wonders for him. Hitting a 300lb bag for 60 rounds will only do good unless your stupid about it. The way I figure, a 300lb bag would let you practice your looping shots, instead of those precise, pin point shots.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know. But what I'm saying is, if you hit it right, a 300lb bag can be very useful. Of course you can't be an idiot and hit it straight on as hard as you can, but for wide, looping shots, it could work very well, it would also help improve your power and strength.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Captainobvious said:
Where the hell would you even FIND a 300lb bag ??
Thats nuts.

Probably custom made, or you'd have to get it from some where on the web.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
they sell them, they are extremely expensive, ive seen many 250 pound bags which i doubt would be any different that a full on 300. why would i want to practice looping shots though bill? i mean i do throw some in sparring just because im not 100 percent technical in my fight game but you dont pack much power in looping shots and and those are very hard on your hand and shoulders, even when landing right sometimes. If you want to work on your physical strength, i say lift weights a little, not tear your shoulders out of socket by hitting a bear of a heavybag lol. If you want to practice weird type shots, get a 50 pound bag that you can get to swaying, and then bam, uppercut lol. its all in fun bill, im just speaking out of a little experience.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You need looping shots because of how akward they are, and my right hook is very looping, and its my 2nd most powerful shot (after the right cross). You need looping shots to loop around some people's guards. If they hold their hands up high, and slightly out in front (like Cooney) you will either need to loop around it, or set shots up through. IMO Cooney is a good example of this. He held his hands up high and slightly in front. When he fought Holmes, Larry got him with looping shots, and was quick enough to land his shot before getting parried. When Cooney fought Spinks, Spinks just fights weird period, and Cooney was almost as shot as Larry was in the Tyson fight. Then when Cooney fought Foreman, he was completely shot, and Foreman got him with looping shots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts