Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im very disapointed with the results of that fight, but theres nothing that im gonna take away from Margy, he proved that hes a better fighter and he showed it. Im still a big fan of Cotto, he is still my favorite fighter no matter what and like a true fan ill admit that he just lost and nothing more, no excuses or anything. Go Cotto! Go! I hope he still stay strong in the game and redeem himself later on. Ill like to know all of youall opinion on what you all think is gonna be next for Cotto.:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
well you will now see that cottos oponents will not see this invensibility status when they face cotto they will be less likley to freeze or be overwhelmed.i can see his career going similar to laceys.because the fighters will try harder for longer now and it is still in his head he just got beat and he will begin to doubt himself.or he will get better and make me look like a fool.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
well you will now see that cottos oponents will not see this invensibility status when they face cotto they will be less likley to freeze or be overwhelmed.i can see his career going similar to laceys.because the fighters will try harder for longer now and it is still in his head he just got beat and he will begin to doubt himself.or he will get better and make me look like a fool.
Haha, he'll probably make you look like a fool. He's way too versatile to go out like Lacy and he never really had that aura of invincibility, since he's been hurt numerous times before. If he can bounce back to his form before and during Margarito and keep adding wrinkles to his game then he will come back and maybe even stronger than ever.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I don't know fellas that was one scary beating he took, if he's gonna soldier on then he should get a good rest,then get back in the game right away other wise put his arm around his wife's shoulder take his kids by the hand and walk safely into the sunset other horizons will open up to him.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, Miguel Cotto is a Jr. Welterweight and needs to be in that division.Period. He needs a trainer that isn't a cheerleader and is a little more proactive. Someone like Roach or John David Jackson would be perfect, for they can teach the chinny Miguel to hold when gassed or stunned.

Other than that I would steer him clear of Margarito and or Williams, he is too small to mix it up with them. Go after Hatton or maybe the ambitious Pacquiao after the dust settles from the Margarito fiasco.

Next:Tuneup. at 144-145.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Stick to watching the overweights.

Cotto needs to just get back in the ring asap. I'd like to see him fight Floyd, but he blew that chance. Cotto should go after Paul Williams. That's the fight I want to see most other than Mosley-Margarito.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I have a feeling were going to see an epic trilogy between margarito and cotto. Cotto took a beating in a few rounds. He definently shorted margarito's career as well. Thers only so many shots a rock can even take. He'll be back.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Yeap at this point a new trainer makes all the sense in the world, him and his uncle seem alienated anyways, when I was there he was training himself the uncle did'nt even had a bottle of water near by, but first some deep soul searching to see if he still got the eye of the tiger:laugh:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, Miguel Cotto is a Jr. Welterweight and needs to be in that division.Period. He needs a trainer that isn't a cheerleader and is a little more proactive. Someone like Roach or John David Jackson would be perfect, for they can teach the chinny Miguel to hold when gassed or stunned.

Other than that I would steer him clear of Margarito and or Williams, he is too small to mix it up with them. Go after Hatton or maybe the ambitious Pacquiao after the dust settles from the Margarito fiasco.

Next:Tuneup. at 144-145.
That's just stupid. Cotto has out grown the 140 division. He can't make the weight no more. And it would be unhealthy to even think about trying. You should brush up on your boxing. A fighter can't just go up and down in weight cuz he wants. His body forces it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's just stupid. Cotto has out grown the 140 division. He can't make the weight no more. And it would be unhealthy to even think about trying. You should brush up on your boxing. A fighter can't just go up and down in weight cuz he wants. His body forces it.
Maybe you should brush up on fighters that bite off more than they can chew vs. bigger guys and decide that dieting a little harder and being a tad more dedicated to roadwork is easier than fighting guys too big for them(i.e. Cotto vs. Margarito)!

In the past 2 years we have seen Shane Mosley, Oscar DeLaHoya and Ricky Hatton all admit that they weren't suited to fight at unnatural weights and went back to a weight where they were comfortable. DLH from 160 where he was outmuscled by both Sturm and Hopkins, back to 150 and what would have been 147 vs. PBF2, Mosley from 154 where Wright put it on him twice and now he is back at 147, and Hatton down from 147 where he was troubled by Collazo and beaten up by PBF to his original weight of 140.

To call an idea stupid shows how much you know about Cotto's past weight issues, in his last fight at Jr.Welter he weighed in at 138lbs, he never failed to make weight in a fight and he is 5'6" tall. And on top of that it is 7 pounds, it isn't 1950 where he has to go back down to 135, now that would be stupid.

Another thing genius, Bernard Hopkins started his pro career at 177lbs., lost his pro debut took a year off dedicated himself, came back 18 monts late at supermiddle and began what is now a historic run in the middleweight division.

So before you go calling someone or their idea's for a certain fighter's future maneuvers stupid, you need to be a little more on top of your knowledge of the fight game!:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Maybe you should brush up on fighters that bite off more than they can chew vs. bigger guys and decide that dieting a little harder and being a tad more dedicated to roadwork is easier than fighting guys too big for them(i.e. Cotto vs. Margarito)!

In the past 2 years we have seen Shane Mosley, Oscar DeLaHoya and Ricky Hatton all admit that they weren't suited to fight at unnatural weights and went back to a weight where they were comfortable. DLH from 160 where he was outmuscled by both Sturm and Hopkins, back to 150 and what would have been 147 vs. PBF2, Mosley from 154 where Wright put it on him twice and now he is back at 147, and Hatton down from 147 where he was troubled by Collazo and beaten up by PBF to his original weight of 140.

To call an idea stupid shows how much you know about Cotto's past weight issues, in his last fight at Jr.Welter he weighed in at 138lbs, he never failed to make weight in a fight and he is 5'6" tall. And on top of that it is 7 pounds, it isn't 1950 where he has to go back down to 135, now that would be stupid.

Another thing genius, Bernard Hopkins started his pro career at 177lbs., lost his pro debut took a year off dedicated himself, came back 18 monts late at supermiddle and began what is now a historic run in the middleweight division.

So before you go calling someone or their idea's for a certain fighter's future maneuvers stupid, you need to be a little more on top of your knowledge of the fight game!:thumbsdown:
Maybe Margarito is to big for the welterweight division, Santos beat him, but from what I heard, Margarito was on the verge of coming back and beating him or even getting a ko, that's what I heard. Cotto already proved he belongs in the welterweights by taking out some of the best in that weight class. Jr. Welterweight is to light and easy for him, there's no comp. down there, it won't benefit Cotto none to go back down to jr. ww, especially since he already cleared the top fighters in that weight class, other then Hatton.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts

Cotto was killing himself to make 140 pounds... Thats insane.. Dehydration may cause brain damage as well and its clearly not good. Also, Cotto proved he belongs to 147, he beat good opponents in there, and he fights well in there.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Brush up on your knowledge. You need it. All the guys you mentioned move up in weight to chase bigger pay. In Oscar case to challenge for the Middleweight title. None of them had problems making weight. Cotto had problems making weight. He said it himself he was killing himself to make 140. Now you know better than him? LMAO! Your idea was stupid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe Margarito is to big for the welterweight division, Santos beat him, but from what I heard, Margarito was on the verge of coming back and beating him or even getting a ko, that's what I heard. Cotto already proved he belongs in the welterweights by taking out some of the best in that weight class. Jr. Welterweight is to light and easy for him, there's no comp. down there, it won't benefit Cotto none to go back down to jr. ww, especially since he already cleared the top fighters in that weight class, other then Hatton.
Margarito lost in a close fight with Santos, and he didn't look good, but in his defense Santos is tough to fight.

I was making a point that he could have a tuneup and then in turn make some big money vs. Hatton or possibly Pac later on down the road at 140.

Who at 147 now? Margo again? suicide right now. Williams? Bad style & opponent for MC. Maybe Mosley or Judah again? Come on. His best fight at 147 would be vs. Cintron.:dunno:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cotto was killing himself to make 140 pounds... Thats insane.. Dehydration may cause brain damage as well and its clearly not good. Also, Cotto proved he belongs to 147, he beat good opponents in there, and he fights well in there.
He beat Judah, Urkal, Mosley, Gomez and Quintana, 2 140 pounders, a big lightweight,, A "contender"fighter and a solid top 10 Welterweight.

Yes Dehydration causes brain damage, But so does getting beat up by guys a lot bigger than yourself.:dunno:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brush up on your knowledge. You need it. All the guys you mentioned move up in weight to chase bigger pay. In Oscar case to challenge for the Middleweight title. None of them had problems making weight. Cotto had problems making weight. He said it himself he was killing himself to make 140. Now you know better than him? LMAO! Your idea was stupid.
Cotto made the move to 147 in 2006 at or about the same time Hatton and Mayweather did(2 smaller guys), why the **** do you think he did that? For the $ asshole. But neither of them wanted anything to do with him then or now. I don't know better than any fighter or any person in the World about making weight for themselves. But I am a personal trainer and I do know a little about nutrition. I also take notice that most fighters from P.R. seem to balloon in weight throughout their career, and they tend to take sustained beatings from naturally larger men.

Look at Cotto standing next to Margarito or Williams, he's a midget. You are probably a non athletic fat ass anyway, so I can't imagine you knowing anything about pushing yourself away from the table, so I wouldn't expect you to understand anything about sacrifice and or making weight, it is what fighters do.

IMO I think Cotto is better suited at 140, and if he can't make 140 he should avoid Margo and Williams and DLH like the plague. I bet you think Cotto should jump to 160 next, hell if he can't make weight just move up, right?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
He beat Judah, Urkal, Mosley, Gomez and Quintana, 2 140 pounders, a big lightweight,, A "contender"fighter and a solid top 10 Welterweight.

Yes Dehydration causes brain damage, But so does getting beat up by guys a lot bigger than yourself.:dunno:
You call Mosley a big lightweight? come on man thats ridiculous, he went as far as 154 and hes clearly a well-sized welterweight. Will you call Pacquiao a big 106 pounder too?

Judah might have been a 140 pound fighter, but that didnt stop him from being a quality 147 pound fighter and former undisputed champion. Quintana is a quality welterweight.

Cotto's division is 147 pounds. Margarito just happens to be freakishly big.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts