Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Ricky Hatton says he can be ready for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. within two fights. Hatton's promoters, Golden Boy, feel otherwise.

According to Ron Lewis, Golden Boy wants Hatton to win at least three fights before pursuing another date with Mayweather. The next order of business for Hatton is a November title shot against IBF champion Paulie Malignaggi.

If Hatton is able to get past Malignaggi, Golden Boy wants to match him against one of bigger names at lightweight, who would have to move to junior welterweight to make the fight. At the top of their list is Manny Pacquiao, currently the WBC super featherweight champion, but challenging the WBC lightweight champion David Diaz in June. The other two names on the list are Juan Diaz and Michael Katsidis, who may face each other in September.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]

\

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oscar De La Hoya: "I will not fight Ricky Hatton"

By Mark Vester

Last year, Oscar De La Hoya had his eye set on a possible fight with Ricky Hatton in 2008. He was making it known in public interviews that he wanted Hatton to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. last December to set up a possible fight between them in 08. Since the December fight, De La Hoya has signed Hatton to his promotional company, Golden Boy Promotions. Now De La Hoya rules out the fight because "he's a naturally bigger guy in a higher weight class." Isn't that why experts blasted De La Hoya's fight with Steve Forbes? Last year Hatton was a free agent, this year he is the future cash cow of Golden Boy and De La Hoya has to protect his investment.

"I'm a naturally bigger guy in a different weight class so I would rule it out," De La Hoya told Setanta Sports. "Ricky's doing a tremendous job at 140 pounds where he feels comfortable. Where he can do a lot of great things. I would rule it out. Ricky's fighting at 140. That's where he feels most comfortable and that's where he belongs. I wouldn't advise him to go up to 147. Those few pounds make a big difference. If he feels comfortable at 140 he should stay there, which I am sure he will do."

De La Hoya says that he can actually make 140-pounds if "he tried." He can barely make 150. If he could make 147-pounds, the original planned weight for the Mayweather rematch, then he wouldn't be fighting Floyd at the catch-weight of 150.

"With me, I can make 147 with no problem. Can I make 140? If I try I probably can," De La Hoya said. "I don't think it's going to be possible because I'm retiring this year. My plan is to have three fights - who knows if I'll just do two because I have my fight with Floyd in September and I'm going to devote my life to that training camp mentally and physically. I know it's going to be draining and take a lot out of me so we'll have to see.

"I do want to do a fight in December against who I don't know, but like I've always done throughout my whole career it will be against a tough opponent, one of the best pound for pound fighters.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I want to see as well. I like that GB thinks Hatton needs 3 more fights before Floyd. That will take up all of 2009. Plenty of time for Cotto.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Hatton is an idiot. He needs to stay as far away as possible from Mayweather as he can. I mean did Hatton show anything this past Saturday that would lead people to think he can do better? Hell no! If anything I think Hatton gets knocked out even sooner if they fight again.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
That is what I want to see as well. I like that GB thinks Hatton needs 3 more fights before Floyd. That will take up all of 2009. Plenty of time for Cotto.

I think Ricky can wrap up 3 more fights by July of next year which would make it an late '09 or early 2010 fight. That's if he gets through those bouts with out adding another to the loss column.

·
Registered
661 Posts
There is a serious lack of names at junior welter. I'd imagine the Malignaggi fight will go ahead considering the spade work already done and the bit of profile building this side of the water. Although obviously Malignaggi's performance might be a set back, at least the name is out there and the hair **** might help that.

After that I presume it will have to be one of the big boys at lightweight. The Hatton camp probably won't be keen on Torres and he probably wouldn't sell enough anyway.

How long will it be before Amir Khan is fighting at junior Welter?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If Cotto beats Floyd their will be a rematch there. I just hope Cotto-Mayweather happens before the Hatton fight. If Hatton tries fighting these guys he has mentioned he will inevitably get beat, spoiling a potential Mayweather rematch.

DSR, I can't wait to see Khan move up. I like that guy.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hatton is an idiot. He needs to stay as far away as possible from Mayweather as he can. I mean did Hatton show anything this past Saturday that would lead people to think he can do better? Hell no! If anything I think Hatton gets knocked out even sooner if they fight again.
I agree. I don't understand why a fighter wants to lose again so badly. I mean that's what would happen if Hatton fights Mayweather again.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I agree. I don't understand why a fighter wants to lose again so badly. I mean that's what would happen if Hatton fights Mayweather again.
Self confidence is a tough thing. ricky still thinks he can beat him. the deck is stacked against him and even I who am a huge fan only give him a 10-15% shot. I also believe there are better fights out there for him.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Self confidence is a tough thing. ricky still thinks he can beat him. the deck is stacked against him and even I who am a huge fan only give him a 10-15% shot. I also believe there are better fights out there for him.
The deck is stacked against him cuz Mayweather is just a better fighter. That's not going to change.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest I don't think Hatton believes he can beat Floyd. I really don't. He'd go into that fight with so much self doubt that he'd be beat before it started. Mayweather KO3.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I hear you. It's almost like Hatton is saying "I would like another loss on my record before I retire". Cuz that's exactly what he will get if he fights Mayweather again. It's one thing if the fight was close. But it wasn't. It was one-sided.

·
Banned
25 Posts
To be honest I don't think Hatton believes he can beat Floyd. I really don't. He'd go into that fight with so much self doubt that he'd be beat before it started. Mayweather KO3.
i don't no but i think that will be more of advantage towards hatton, hatton realizes floyds a better fighter."honstely i don't think the crowd helped him at all it made him more aggressive". hatton only has about 4-5 fights left why not give it a shot again 2 beat the best u have 2 be the best.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I hear you. It's almost like Hatton is saying "I would like another loss on my record before I retire". Cuz that's exactly what he will get if he fights Mayweather again. It's one thing if the fight was close. But it wasn't. It was one-sided.
no because thats exactly what mayweather would do, duck out of the fights where he could retain a L,

why not let ricky fight him again, whats the point in fighting the best in the world and then just fighting half wits afterwards.

ricky wants to be the best and the only way he can be the best is to face mayweather again, and try and beat him.

what you are saying is completely against what boxing is about, if hatton had beat mayweather i know damn sure you'd want mayweather to have a rematch, but i am damn sure mayweather wouldn't because the L's on his record "wouldn't look pretty"

:laugh:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
After watching him against Lazcano I agree he lost his self confidence.

If they fight again it could be after Floyd-Cotto while Floyd is just looking for an easy check.
I'm glad that GBP doesn't want Ricky to fight Floyd after Malignaggi. Now the biggest paycheck available for Floyd after Oscar is Cotto.

i don't no but i think that will be more of advantage towards hatton, hatton realizes floyds a better fighter."honstely i don't think the crowd helped him at all it made him more aggressive". hatton only has about 4-5 fights left why not give it a shot again 2 beat the best u have 2 be the best.
It's the other way around.

no because thats exactly what mayweather would do, duck out of the fights where he could retain a L,

why not let ricky fight him again, whats the point in fighting the best in the world and then just fighting half wits afterwards.

ricky wants to be the best and the only way he can be the best is to face mayweather again, and try and beat him.

what you are saying is completely against what boxing is about, if hatton had beat mayweather i know damn sure you'd want mayweather to have a rematch, but i am damn sure mayweather wouldn't because the L's on his record "wouldn't look pretty"

:laugh:
I respect the fact that Ricky wanna avenge his loss but he doesn't deserve a rematch (at least not before Floyd fights Cotto) because he just got outclassed. Rematching a guy that you just KTFO while there are more competitve fights out there is against what boxing is about.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I respect the fact that Ricky wanna avenge his loss but he doesn't deserve a rematch (at least not before Floyd fights Cotto) because he just got outclassed. Rematching a guy that you just KTFO while there are more competitve fights out there is against what boxing is about.
maybe so but the most competitive fight out there for hatton is mayweather.

don't getg me wrong i don't wanna see hatton fight mayweather before cotto as cotto deserves it more and personally i think cotto has got a better chance of beating mayweather then hatton,

however i don't believe hatton should be slated by certain members here for wanting a rematch as that is exactly what boxing needs more people to step up to the task no matter how great it is.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hatton should fight Malignaggi then Torres. Two title's and two very good fights for the fans that Ricky loves so much. Hatton shouldn't go after Mayweather because i don't think he can make any adjustments which are going to make him do any better, he'll get stopped again.

But both Hatton/Mayweather will probably go for the fight because of the $$$ involved.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts